Switching my mechanics of the jab to avoid elbow flare.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't know which one. I can hook off it last second.
People don't hook with their elbows or shoulders in the same way as a jab. If you hook there, it's not going to have too much power, and won't be a 'real hook' so it'll be blocked the same way a jab is.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The problem is at the moment the way you strike you are one gigantic target..

I'm a target for feinting "a backfist" and then throwing a right hand faster than the average human can react?

explain..

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tyson is just one example. Every elite boxer, head moving or not, drops the left.
A lot of that comes to tactics. Keeping your guard up all match is tiring, even if you're just going three rounds. Besides the baiting already mentioned, people drop it to help conserve energy, when they feel safe doing it. A lot of times that's when they're on the offense and don't think their opponent can/will counter. Sometimes they get it wrong. But that's an issue of muscle fatigue/tactic rather than muscle memory/problems with drills.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen anyone hook a jab. Jabs are linear so with me just visualizing it. if you were 100% committed to the jab and hooked it, then you would miss my face.. Something going straight to the target then curving at the last second. I've pulled my jabs, and I've redirect my jabs, but none of those were 100% committed. When I fully commit to a jab it just goes straight, hit or miss.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a target for feinting "a backfist" and then throwing a right hand faster than the average human can react?

explain..
I think you're underestimating either the time needed to react in a fight, or the reaction abilities of boxers. And a lot of it comes down to telegraphing, which gives you just that little bit extra time to react.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you hook there, it's not going to have too much power, and won't be a 'real hook' so it'll be blocked the same way a jab is.

Hook jabs aren't power shots, but they are enough to annoy the person and they do land. You won't block it at all because you will be expecting a linear strike. That's why people use it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

explain..

A right hand after a jab isn't exactly unexpected. What if I parry the jab, throw my own jab, move off to the right to avoid the right hand. And get this, because this is the super secret to boxing.

Before you throw the right hand.

Then I don't have to be faster than the average human. I just appear faster.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

explain..
maybe this is where your flare is coming from. This sounds like a hybrid punch and not a jab. This punch starts with a back fist motion and is altered.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen anyone hook a jab. Jabs are linear so with me just visualizing it. if you were 100% committed to the jab and hooked it, then you would miss my face.. Something going straight to the target then curving at the last second. I've pulled my jabs, and I've redirect my jabs, but none of those were 100% committed. When I fully commit to a jab it just goes straight, hit or miss.
The closest I could see is the looping fists in some arts, which aren't really jabs, or an ear clap that's technically hooking when you miss the jab, but that's not legal in boxing.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hook jabs aren't power shots, but they are enough to annoy the person and they do land. You won't block it at all because you will be expecting a linear strike. That's why people use it.
Are you suggesting just a jab where when you miss you swing your fist sideways? That would only work if they dodged by swaying their head left/right, and even then I can't imagine that being anywhere near powerful enough to disrupt me. Maybe it would work in light contact sparring where the people don't realize the lack of power? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're talking about.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
People don't hook with their elbows or shoulders in the same way as a jab. If you hook there, it's not going to have too much power, and won't be a 'real hook' so it'll be blocked the same way a jab is.

Look. You sort of can. Throw a feint jab and then hook. Or a feint hook and then jab.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[
Are you suggesting just a jab where when you miss you swing your fist sideways? That would only work if they dodged by swaying their head left/right, and even then I can't imagine that being anywhere near powerful enough to disrupt me. Maybe it would work in light contact sparring where the people don't realize the lack of power? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're talking about.

Nothing to do with missing. Hooking right before impact.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Look. You sort of can. Throw a feint jab and then hook. Or a feint hook and then jab.
@Acronym Do you mean this?

If so I was misunderstanding what you were saying-thought you meant turning the jab into a hook at distance when it failed. The thing in the video can work as a feint, but I don't see how it would fix your issue of telegraphing the jab. And if you do it often enough to overcome a bad jab, people will just know it's coming-it'll only work consistently (against high level boxers) if you have both a good jab and a good hook.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In any event if you are fighting like a rockum sockum robot.

You get hit a lot more than you should.

This is regardless of elbow flare.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You don't know which one. I can hook off it last second.
This is what you said.

This is what I see a 2 strikes. I don't see hook off it at last second. I see this as a jab then a hook and not a jab that hooks at the last second.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A right hand after a jab isn't exactly unexpected. What if I parry the jab, throw my own jab, move off to the right to avoid the right hand. And get this, because this is the super secret to boxing.

Before you throw the right hand.

Then I don't have to be faster than the average human. I just appear faster.

Jab followed by right hand account for I would say at least 80% of the knockouts in boxing. The more tired the fighter gests, the easier combos slip. And it's usually the basic combos that do it.

Latest Discussions