Switching my mechanics of the jab to avoid elbow flare.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've done that but it doesn’t translate to sparring when I do techniques with force. Whenever I do it completely straight it feels like overpressure on the elbow and as if I'm choking any relevant power..
If the movement is trained then it will come out the same way even with force. Training causes you to develop a pattern of motion that remains the same or similar even when you add force. My slow punches travel a similar path as my hard or fast punches. This holds true for a lot of people.

It's like what drop bear stated. You load up on the punches and that causes you to punch beyond your ability to hold correct mechanics. If you slow it down to a level you can control then you can build up from there.

Do a video of you punching slowly. Then increase your speed slightly until you have your fastest punch. From there I can point out when you start to stick your elbows out.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Watch any famous fighter fight and he drops his left a million times
We aren't talking about "dropping a left" we are talking about elbows that flare out. These are 2 different issues all together.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you agree it doesn't do any good for muscle memory? Watch any famous fighter fight and he drops his left a million times whenever the right is thrown, despite keeping it up shadow boxing.

No I believe it does help muscle memory.

And keep your hands up.

When we look at lighter fighters throwing powerful shots there does not appear to be massive effort involved. That is the muscle memory from lighter shadow sparring.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We aren't talking about "dropping a left" we are talking about elbows that flare out. These are 2 different issues all together.

The principle is the same. The memory of doing it one way shadow boxing does not carry over to when you fight.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't believe you could focus on my elbow and parry the punch at the same time, unless you got Usain Bolt reactions time. Just looking at the elbow doesn't tell you which punch is coming.
If your elbow moves a great distance then I don't need to know where the punch is going. I just have to punch you before your elbow gets horizontal and your punch will never leave the chamber or it will get interrupted when my strike lands. This isn't something magical. If I did the same thing you are doing people would do the same to me. They will watch my elbow. When my elbow starts to move they know that it will rise before my fist moves forward. The end result will be that I get hit.

Keeping the elbows down and in hides that movement and shortest the distance and time that the fist hast to travel. With elbows in, my concept of how far forward you move will be off. As a result, I won't realize that the punch is coming until it's too late.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No I believe it does help muscle memory.
]

No evidence of that.

_20200711_020352.JPG
_20200711_020335.JPG

_20200711_020352.JPG
_20200711_020335.JPG
_20200711_020406.JPG

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not only does Tyson drop his left constantly, his chin is up in the air as well

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The principle is the same. The memory of doing it one way shadow boxing does not carry over to when you fight.
For me, things that I do in shadow boxing transfers into fighting very easily. Which is why I do shadow boxing. If you did 6 months of shadow boxing then it's most likely that your elbows were flaring during shadow boxing which is why you have a difficult time with it now. It carried over.

The faster you punch the less aware you were of your flaring elbows. That lack of awareness doubles when you spar because your attention is somewhere else other than your elbows. Which is why correct motion is trained. That way the motion can run on auto pilot while you fight.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah. There is a reason they will get away with dropping their hands and you won't. And it is a whole new discussion.
]

That's irrelevant. They do it despite drilling not to do it. And I'm no exception. If they fall prey at the highest level, so will I

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's irrelevant. They do it despite drilling not to do it. And I'm no exception. If they fall prey at the highest level, so will I

Ok. Do you have this level of head movement?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not only does Tyson drop his left constantly, his chin is up in the air as well
None of this has anything to do with flaring elbows. You making as assumption about something that doesn't apply to your issue of flaring elbows, which is the currently issue that you said you are having.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
None of this has anything to do with flaring elbows. You making as assumption about something that doesn't apply to your issue of flaring elbows, which is the currently issue that you said you are having.

They are both related to muscle memory. I do one thing slow, another thing fast. Whatever I do soft does not carry over. Instincts I have in action are not activated when I'm softly shadow boxing.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah. When they know they can. Which they know because they are an elite boxer.

You are assuming they want to do it. They don't. Nobody wants to expose their chin and drop their left, regardless of which level they're boxing in (Roy Jones jr is an exception).

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They are both related to muscle memory.
I can intentionally drop my left to make you think I have a pattern that I don't have. When I see you trying to take advantage of me dropping my left, I can then set you by dropping my left.
No one sets up another with flaring elbows.

I do one thing slow, another thing fast. Whatever I do soft does not carry over.
Start at 10 percent speed. Increase by 20% focus on keeping good structure. Increase by 20% again (now you are at 50%) focus on keeping the technique good. Then increase by 20% more (now you are at 70%) If your structure falls apart then you need to focus more hat keeping good punching structure at that speed. If your structure falls apart then that means you are trying to punch faster and harder than what you can keep together.

Whatever instincts I have in action are not activated when I'm softly shadow boxing.
The truth is that we don't have Instinct when it comes to fighting, which is why everyone trains and drills the skill sets.

Every great fighter was great because he trained. Tyson was only as good as he was because of the training he had.

Latest Discussions