Finally getting somewhere, on my long journey

hippyman

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, it's been awhile since I joined, so I thought it was about time to post an intro. To start off, in May, 1990, I was in a real bad accident, that killed my little brother and hospitalized me for 91 days with a severe frontal lobe injury. When I was about 7 or 8, I started off in kung-fu lessons in my home town. Because of these, I was able to stop going to my weekly therapy sessions at the hospital. I took up bo staff, but never mastered it back then. I can't remember everything that happened, but my dojo closed when I was only a blue belt, I shut down mentally for a couple of decades, had a heat stroke, and just recently I ran into my old sensei and started lessons again. Things have been going great over the past month or so.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow that is a difficult and horrible time you have been through all of these years. You have a strength to have come through it. I should like to know what art specifically it is you practice and if it is ok to ask in what ways it has been helping? Wishes and welcome, Jx

OP
H

hippyman

White Belt
Reaction score
Wow that is a difficult and horrible time you have been through all of these years. You have a strength to have come through it. I should like to know what art specifically it is you practice and if it is ok to ask in what ways it has been helping? Wishes and welcome, Jx
Right now I'm practicing Shaolin kung fu, and practicing the 9 temple exercises twice daily. My sensei says he can already see a difference in the way I walk, but I'm not sure about that. The temple exercises are completely new to me.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.
I hope your journey in the arts is a long and interesting one. Enjoy you lessons and the friendships you develop through the arts.

ChrisN

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It’s amazing how the physical and mental discipline of any martial art can rewire the brain. Creating new paths to replace damaged ones, making are minds pathways faster stronger and healthier.

Really pleased you have found that freedom again.:)

OP
H

hippyman

White Belt
Reaction score
It’s amazing how the physical and mental discipline of any martial art can rewire the brain. Creating new paths to replace damaged ones, making are minds pathways faster stronger and healthier.

Really pleased you have found that freedom again.:)

Tell me about it. It's unbelievable, I did the temple exercises for one day, and I slept better that night than I had since probably 5th grade. It was amazing.:) Now if I could just work out my heat issues, there wouldn't be a problem.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, bro.

Step at a time. Enjoy it all the way.

OP
H

hippyman

White Belt
Reaction score
This just keeps getting better. It turns out, I'm not going to have to pay for my lessons, only for my weapons. And my sensei wants me to help him get a class started.

OP
H

hippyman

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, I hit another bump in the road yesterday. Without thinking about it, we were working out in my sensei's backyard, in midday heat. I got too hot, got sunburned, through my hair even, and couldn't even drive myself home. I was lucky on 2 accounts though. My sensei is a retired EMT, and I had someone to drive me home that day. I still hate when things like this happen though.

Latest Discussions