Stupid question

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What has been the dumbest move our government has made in the last ten years? I was reading an article about alternative fuel for cars and I was amazed we have the power to run on pure water but the federal governmennt will not allow this to happen, so to me it has got to be that but I know alot of you have other views and topics that could be an interesting read so I will be waiting to hear them.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What has been the dumbest move our government has made in the last ten years? I was reading an article about alternative fuel for cars and I was amazed we have the power to run on pure water but the federal governmennt will not allow this to happen...

I'm no scientist or engineer, but Tom and Ray Magliozzi (Click and Clack from the radio show Car Talk) are MIT grads and know an awful lot about automobiles. They, and others, have confirmed that the old "cars can be made to run on water" thing is another urban legend. They claim it's totally untrue, but a favorite topic of conspiracy buffs. Anybody have better info. on this topic? Anybody other than Dale Dribble, that is.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am just going by what some are saying. I am no engineer so I would not now if it is true or not, so I will take your word for it. What about the question about what is the dumbest thing our government has done?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What has been the dumbest move our government has made in the last ten years? I was reading an article about alternative fuel for cars and I was amazed we have the power to run on pure water but the federal governmennt will not allow this to happen, so to me it has got to be that but I know alot of you have other views and topics that could be an interesting read so I will be waiting to hear them.

Water cannot be converted to fuel for cars without expending more energy to do the conversion than you get from the fuel produced. It cannot be disputed scientifically. Only crackpots think otherwise. Seriously.

As to the dumbest thing our government (I presume you mean the US government), I would say it was the invasion of Iraq. At least, that is the most obviously stupid.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the last decade? Not convicting Clinton during his impeachment.
In the last 20? Not finishing the job in Iraq in 91. Well, that is a tie with going all namby pamby with North Korea on Nuclear issues...
In the last 35? Giving up control of the Panama Canal.
In the last 40? Choosing not to decisively win in Vietnam.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Um, what? He was convicted, he stood impeached. Done deal. Do you mean not charging him with crimes and taking him to trial? I don't think the American public had the stomach for that by then. They just wanted it to be over. His term ended, and it was over.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bill, Impeached by the House is the Congressional equivalent of being indicted. The trial takes place in the Senate and he was acquitted of both charges, mostly because the Republicans were too timid to go all out.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
standing up to the russians was a noble and needed thing.
We did that in Cuba... almost blew the world up in the process. Did we have to fight a proxy war in Vietnam too? As I recall, Ho Chi Minh and his followers didn't want any colonial power to run their country. They didn't want the French, the Chinese, the US, or the Russians. They just turned to Russia for help getting rid of us. And, after we left, they got eventually rid of the Russians too. Now, like the Chinese, they make stuff and sell it to us. And that's just what would have happened if we'd never gone there in the first place. But if you think it was worth 50,000 American lives to show the Russians how tough we were... well nothing I can say will change your mind.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score

It has always been my understanding that he did not lie according to the definition of 'sexual relationship' as defined by the attorney general. Is this not correct?
Semantics, I know, but that is what legalese is all about.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It has always been my understanding that he did not lie according to the definition of 'sexual relationship' as defined by the attorney general. Is this not correct?
Semantics, I know, but that is what legalese is all about.
That Bill Clinton, he can parse words better than anyone. It depends on what your definition of IS is...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Terry,

If you mean by water, you mean a Hydrogen Fuel Cell, then yes it is possible. But, the "engine" would cost of $10,000 USD before the recent spike in precious metals to create. This is not cost effective.

There was a demo done by a Japanese man in Japan, but he had to cancel two days in a rwo as the temeprature was too cold. Think in the high 50 Deg F to Low 60 Deg F range. Of course it is possible to run your car but, only in Certain temperatures.

From what I have read on a Tesla Electric vehicle ~$90,000 it does have a decent range but one has to let it charge up completely for best or optimum efficeincy when you do charge it and it takes around 29 hours. So one might need three vehicles to operate on a daily basis.

I say this as many times the data is present with a target impact in mind or with the best intentions, but certain key facts are left out.

I recently saw an article about Xerox and their new CEO the First African American Woman. They mentioned that 59.6% of the work force are women and that the glass ceiling is still there. What this does not count is what degrees make up CEO's and out of those degrees who many, ..., . My point is that 50% or 59% of the female population does not go and get engineering degrees or MBA's. The data is presented in a manner of the authors choosing.

Do you have a link to the "water" article?