Students are wanting staff form

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I ran a search for the answer to my question in old threads but could not find it so I thought I would just ask in a new thread.

Some students have asked about learning to use the staff(bo) in a form, the instuctors above myself do not teach any weapons froms we just learn some defence against them and how to strike with them but we have no forms with them. I know some TKD schools teach staff forms, where do you get the froms? are they from diff styles of MA? or korean in orgin? my instuctors would like any forms we do to be tied to korea some way. Does anybody now where I can find some korean staff forms?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does it have to be 'Korean'? Other than a few recently invented forms, I can't really think of any famous bo sets known to be of Korean origin. On the other hand, good primary instruction in kobudo (Okinawan) should be readily available to you in Ohio if you look around.

Various beginner bo forms include tokumine no kun and shihonuke if you want to view examples of them on sites like Youtube to see if this avenue fits your needs.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
The link below will take you to an online store where you can purchase an instructional video on the Kenpo staff form created by SGM Chuck Sullivan that is widely practiced by many from all sorts of styles.

It's a great bo form and easy to learn. The DVD includes basic applications of offense and defense with the bo and then incorporates those drills into a comprehensive form.

I hope this helps.

http://karateconnection.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=8

cmassman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You can always just put the bo in your hand and do your regular form. It's kinda fun to work out how you would do each move with a weapon in your hand.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nearly every culture has a bo staff by one name or another. The English had the quarterstaff. In Korean, it is called a bong. I do not know of any specifically Korean bong sul. We have bong sul as part of our taekwondo curriculum and there are six forms. Not a clue what tradition they are from.

Daniel

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can always just put the bo in your hand and do your regular form. It's kinda fun to work out how you would do each move with a weapon in your hand.

Depends on how deep you want to get into it. There are entire subsets of staff skills like disarmament techniques taught within a robust weaponry system like kobudo. Yeah, you could just get out there with a staff and try to discover some things for yourself, but I'm afraid you would be leaving a lot on the table. There's also basic fundamentals like grips and "framing" to worry about.

I think it's worth seeking out quality instruction if one is serious about adding a bo form to one's curriculum.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You might want to consider discussing adding a more 'robust' kobudo program, and look to bring in an instructor. My son took TKD years ago, and since there was no weapons traditionally in TKD, the school resorted to what they could find on dvds. I won't badmouth the effort of the school to enhance the learning, but this effort only lead to flash and empty kobudo. A waste of time.

Currently, I co-train with a TKD school that teaches Matayoshi kobudo. And while the teacher brings a slightly different interpretation to it due to the TKD (we are Goju), compared to what I saw my son learning...it is vastly improved.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Go and find a weapons seminar. Find one that is focusing on the weapon that you are wanting to learn first. You will at least learn the kata. And it will give you something to work on.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OP
DBZ

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and links. I think I found an instuctor that will teach some of the BB in are school and we will go from there.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
My first reaction to your post was, negative. Then it was: awesome, he's listening to his students and trying to give them what they want. Great way to keep them interested and the school open.

Bravo.

OP
DBZ

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My first reaction to your post was, negative. Then it was: awesome, he's listening to his students and trying to give them what they want. Great way to keep them interested and the school open.

Bravo.

It was an advanced student that has asked me more than once about learning a staff form. Shes a great student so I wanted to try to kinda reward her for doing so well be learning about the staff and teaching it to her. I asked a BB in kenpo I know that teachs staff tech so my wife and I are going to work with him on it some so we can expand are knowledge alittle

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was an advanced student that has asked me more than once about learning a staff form. Shes a great student so I wanted to try to kinda reward her for doing so well be learning about the staff and teaching it to her. I asked a BB in kenpo I know that teachs staff tech so my wife and I are going to work with him on it some so we can expand are knowledge alittle
Why don't you take the student with you, rather than try to essentially stay just ahead of her? You'll show her that even black belts keep learning... and set a great example for how to handle a question from a student.

OP
DBZ

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Why don't you take the student with you, rather than try to essentially stay just ahead of her? You'll show her that even black belts keep learning... and set a great example for how to handle a question from a student.

The only reason is I am going to have to travel a small distance to get to him for instuction. I did invite her to come so she could learn but she cannot make the trip so she is just going to learn from my wife and I after we learn. I have no problem learning something new with a stident. I find that fun

Latest Discussions