Student striking with far too much power

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going down a path that surprises me slightly... I'm going to give Zenjael the benefit of the doubt that he's (not surprisingly) failed to express himself as well as he might have.

I actually do agree that, at a certain point in your training, your training can indeed become very dangerous. I'll use sword kata as a clear example. When two sword practitioners work a paired kata together, if either makes a mistake, serious injury is very much a possibility, even if they're using bokken. Paired kata in traditional jiujutsu is another example. Certain reality based exercises also carry a risk of injury, if proper safety protocols aren't followed -- and even sometimes if they are.

That said... I agree with the general tone of responses. If you're having this much trouble when training with students -- something is wrong. Possibly very seriously wrong.

Let's start by asking a simple question: are you teaching, or simply leading a group training? The burden and responsibility of each is different. Honestly -- I would suggest that, based on your posts over time here -- you shouldn't be teaching without solid supervision and guidance. It seems an awful lot like nobody took the time to teach you how to teach and how to lead some of these exercises. Doesn't mean you can't learn -- but it does mean you need some time with your ego checked, and someone guiding you.

Then... you have instances where training partners apparently significantly misunderstand the exercises. STOP: if you're leading -- you're responsible for giving proper instruction and explanation of the exercise. If I'm running a firing line, I explain the course of fire coming up. I may demonstrate it, especially if it's complicated. I may even walk the line through a dry run of it, if the exercise is very complicated, or presents significant risks (like having multiple people moving and shooting together). I do the same thing in a martial arts setting. I explain the exercise. I may even demonstrate appropriate levels of contact. Then I supervise the exercise, stepping in occasionally to correct or demonstrate something.

Let's talk some more about training and risk... Unless you have the freedom to maim and kill your training partners with wanton abandon (I don't think your title is Emperor of Some Forgotten Land Who Uses Peasants in Place of Targets), you have to impose some sort of flaw in any training you do so you don't run out of playmates. Going slowly is one such flaw (and probably one you want to use more often). "Control" is another; control either means you're not actually HITTING, or you're missing the actual target on purpose, or stopping the technique short of the real performance. Hitting non-vital targets or prohibiting some techniques as too dangerous is another common example; start with the list of what you can't do in MMA, for example. Some things are prohibited because they just make for bad fights, but a lot simply hurt the opponent too badly for the sport purposes (if they work right...). Here's the trap for many in martial arts: they don't realize the safety flaw in their training. To me -- the classic example is the old skit with Jim Carrey: "Like a lot of beginning students, you attacked me wrong." We do a great job practicing and preparing for what I'll call "trained attacks" -- and get flummoxed when someone just flails at us.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, If im reading this right, he is actually hitting you during what for me would amount to a focus mitt session? There is no reason for that to happen. EVER. I have never seen that happen with rank beginners at any boxing or mma gym I have attended. I have never seen that, the focus mits are the targets, and it is quite easily distinguished from the persons head in between the two pads....

I have have had occasion to speak with quite a few of my former trainers and my current one, and they all agree one thing. That incident would only happen one time, and that the teacher would send a VERY CLEAR message to them with words or physical actions that such actions by the student are not tolerated.

Please be very carefull with not only your self but your other students, this person is a threat and a danger to all others who train with him. If you want to send a CLEAR message to him, but don't feel you have the capability to do it, Go visit the local competing MMA gym and explain the situation and ask if one of there experienced fighters can send the message to him quickly and painfully and most importantly in a humbling way.. I Know my former mma gym would LOVE to beat the sense into a uppity student, especially one that is a danger to others.. That is bad for everyone and martial sports in general.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No. In fact, during target practice while we trained combinations, one-two cross punches he hit the first target, then me square in the face. A week after this video was taken. I held the targets above each of my shoulders, six inches in front of my body. He socked me hard enough I had to go wash my mouth until I stopped spitting blood. Whats bothered me is that during that rotational drill, I had a feeling it might happen. Couldn't place why, but it was there. Then it happened.
That kinda raises my hackles. How can someone miss a target that badly? It really sounds deliberate on his part.

Time for a come-to-Jeezus meeting with him. Tell him to back off his power and work on his control. Put him on the bag until he can show you control with a variety of techniques. Then allow him to spar "on probation" - high ranks only and they have the green light to knock him down if he loses his control.

Good luck.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok, If im reading this right, he is actually hitting you during what for me would amount to a focus mitt session? There is no reason for that to happen. EVER. I have never seen that happen with rank beginners at any boxing or mma gym I have attended. I have never seen that, the focus mits are the targets, and it is quite easily distinguished from the persons head in between the two pads....

I have have had occasion to speak with quite a few of my former trainers and my current one, and they all agree one thing. That incident would only happen one time, and that the teacher would send a VERY CLEAR message to them with words or physical actions that such actions by the student are not tolerated.

Please be very carefull with not only your self but your other students, this person is a threat and a danger to all others who train with him. If you want to send a CLEAR message to him, but don't feel you have the capability to do it, Go visit the local competing MMA gym and explain the situation and ask if one of there experienced fighters can send the message to him quickly and painfully and most importantly in a humbling way.. I Know my former mma gym would LOVE to beat the sense into a uppity student, especially one that is a danger to others.. That is bad for everyone and martial sports in general.

Time for a come-to-Jeezus meeting with him. Tell him to back off his power and work on his control. Put him on the bag until he can show you control with a variety of techniques. Then allow him to spar "on probation" - high ranks only and they have the green light to knock him down if he loses his control.
For beginners, I don't know what the situation involved. If it was accidental then an apology should sufice. If it was deliberate then the guy is asked to leave. If you can't determine that it was deliberate, then it is at very least reckless and a warning would be warranted.

The solution that you guys have proposed here is just as bad, or worse, than the offending student. In fact you are both condoning an assault. I hope neither of you are instructors. :asian:

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
For beginners, I don't know what the situation involved. If it was accidental then an apology should sufice. If it was deliberate then the guy is asked to leave. If you can't determine that it was deliberate, then it is at very least reckless and a warning would be warranted.

The solution that you guys have proposed here is just as bad, or worse, than the offending student. In fact you are both condoning an assault. I hope neither of you are instructors. :asian:

I agree with you there 100%

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I take those comments as an exaggeration. If someone startsgoing to hard or becomes really uncooperative when they let their ego get inthe way, I could see how a little harder contact from a more experiencedpractitioner could give them pause, but there are still problems with that.
The problem with “letting somebody have it” or whatever isthat no one learns from it. If the person hitting too hard doesn’t know it, hewill feel bullied and humiliated by this response. If the person is lettingthere ego get out of control then the exercise needs to be explained again, andthey need to be told why their behavior is not conducive to training. If theyare purposefully being malicious they should be ejected from the school if thebehavior doesn’t immediately see correction.
There is a difference between someone not understanding whatthey are supposed to do and someone trying to humiliate or actually hurt you.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious as you said it devolved to the ground and maybe I am misunderstanding this, but if you were both on the ground, i.e grappling one on top of the other and not standing with him going for the choke, how could you perform a shoulder throw?

Because he's SuperAlex - he's told us repeatedly about his superhuman capabilities. Like, for example, continuing to fight after sustaining a flail chest. Or causing armed robbers to flee in terror just by glaring at them.

Go hunt up his YouTube videos, if he hasn't deleted them. They're funny, and demonstrate quite clearly that he's basically a buffoon with little or no real training and a habit of making up stories to get attention.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Im not a instructor but all of my former instructors would have done what I suggested.. My first boxing coach, had to do it on a few occasions to a uppity and dangerous student.. Guy stepped in for a LIGHT sparring session with one of our competing females. She was going lightly, and he Nailed her with a FULL power right cross. He was a heavy weight, and she was a 135 class female fighter. He floored her, HARD. Coach asked why he went so hard, and his response was. "I thought she liked it and wanted more"

Coach (65 years old at this time, 4xgolden glove,3xaau champ) was seething mad, but did not show his emotion. He asked him to sparr with him.

So they started sparring. Coach spent the first round, just with probing jabs and defending the guys rabid full power punch's. Guy did not land a single punch on him. Then the second round, coach unleashed a double left hook, and floored the guy. Then proceeded to kick him out.. The female, apparently didn't take this beat down he gave her very well and she quit, and never came back to martial arts..

Fast forward to my former mma gym. My former coach had a co worker who was fit and claimed to be a mma fighter. He was cocky and a loud mouth. Coach invited him in to train with us, and of course he went Way to hard in sparring. So coach had him spar our pro. Pro did not take kindly to him coming at him full power and explained it with his fist...

Student number 2 some time later comes in, this time a likely dojo stormer. He follows the same path as the first guy and is sparring way hard. Coach asks him if he would like to sparr with him. He agrees, and of course goes way to hard. Coach unleashes a POWERFULL linear kick to the guys solar plexus. While the guy was on the ground gasping for air, the coach knelt down beside him and said "when you catch your breath, get your crap and get out"

Seams in my neck of the woods its a accepted practice..

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Im not a instructor but all of my former instructors would have done what I suggested.. My first boxing coach, had to do it on a few occasions to a uppity and dangerous student.. Guy stepped in for a LIGHT sparring session with one of our competing females. She was going lightly, and he Nailed her with a FULL power right cross. He was a heavy weight, and she was a 135 class female fighter. He floored her, HARD. Coach asked why he went so hard, and his response was. "I thought she liked it and wanted more"

Coach (65 years old at this time, 4xgolden glove,3xaau champ) was seething mad, but did not show his emotion. He asked him to sparr with him.

So they started sparring. Coach spent the first round, just with probing jabs and defending the guys rabid full power punch's. Guy did not land a single punch on him. Then the second round, coach unleashed a double left hook, and floored the guy. Then proceeded to kick him out.. The female, apparently didn't take this beat down he gave her very well and she quit, and never came back to martial arts..

Fast forward to my former mma gym. My former coach had a co worker who was fit and claimed to be a mma fighter. He was cocky and a loud mouth. Coach invited him in to train with us, and of course he went Way to hard in sparring. So coach had him spar our pro. Pro did not take kindly to him coming at him full power and explained it with his fist...

Student number 2 some time later comes in, this time a likely dojo stormer. He follows the same path as the first guy and is sparring way hard. Coach asks him if he would like to sparr with him. He agrees, and of course goes way to hard. Coach unleashes a POWERFULL linear kick to the guys solar plexus. While the guy was on the ground gasping for air, the coach knelt down beside him and said "when you catch your breath, get your crap and get out"

Seams in my neck of the woods its a accepted practice..
The huge difference here is that in this example it is the coach, or I assume Chief Instructor, who is calling the shots and using what he considers reasonable force to achieve what he deems to be necessary or appropriate. If he miscalculates and causes injury, he has to wear the responsibility for his actions and any legal action that may be taken against him. Forty years ago it was accepted practice. Now days you get sued for just looking at someone.

In the situations suggested in the earlier post it was not the chief instructor that was going to go heavy and in one case it was not even one of the schools students.

Originally Posted by Balrog
Originally Posted by Kframe
If you want to send a CLEAR message to him, but don't feel you have the capability to do it, Go visit the local competing MMA gym and explain the situation and ask if one of there experienced fighters can send the message to him quickly and painfully and most importantly in a humbling way.. I Know my former mma gym would LOVE to beat the sense into a uppity student, especially one that is a danger to others.

These are not good options. :asian:

Phil_n.ireland

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Every time he hits too hard strike him he'll soon learn to control it threw fear of being hit

If size mattered the elephant would be king of the jungle

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or he'll get angry and hit even harder. That's pretty bad advice.

And now we can wait for someone to sidle in with the unspoken pretext that the instructor would obviously win if the student turned it into a real 'fight'.
Im calling it now. And if it happens (though its sorta happened already a few pages ago), i may spit out my water. Just saying.

OP
Z

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To Jks, you are right in your example. That is generally to what I was referring to, that in certain arts that is what happens. Doesn't mean it's right or wrong, but some techniques to learn are dangerous. Striking to nerves can deaden them, not landing correctly can tear knees, and so on.

True, the more experienced you get, the more control you should have. But just because you have control over what you are doing, does not mean you can control how others are suddenly going to switch from gear 1, to gear 5. Like you, I define control in the way you did.

As of now, in a club setting, I teach and lead, and am working to have the club oriented again so that multiple people are teachings while I lead. Makes it easier to manage considering this is a forum setting, not a school. But when we rotate to say our Wing Chun practitioner, he will assume direction of the drill. In this case, I did exactly what you specified, explained, demonstrated, had others go. Speaking with the club today it was brought up that the person in question was quite miffed over not getting to kick... and that others in the group felt like that might happen also.

We don't exist in a setting where I can tell people to leave, as this is NVCC property and students are welcome. I go to George Mason, so apart from being able to lead, I am not allowed to ask people to leave if they are students. It is complicated.

At this point its a blurred line between potential sloppiness, or deliberateness on the person part. Didn't even aim for the target lol.

I must also stress JKS, that this is the first time out of the hundreds of people who have come to our club from many different walks of life and style, that this happened.

To Dirty Dog- there is an old adage you should never actually judge a person til you meet them. And I would never be presumptive of others skill level off of videos they post. Or to put it another way- those words are really only justified if you come meet me in person at our club (the space is free, and we welcome all). You will find much more than you giving credit to. Nothing I have ever done, other martial artists can't also do, and also better. I'm... fairly certain if you actually spoke to me as others on this board have 1 on 1 you'll find my personal views are a bit different than what is allowed on this part of the forum's format.

Also not sure what you mean by fighting with a flail chest. Only thing that comes to mind is during a 1st dan exam where either a side kick, or heel kick shattered most of the ribs on my right side of the body. And considering the entire point of the exam, 1 on 1 for a minute, 1 on 2 for a minute, 1 on 3 for a minute, 1 on 4 in a minute was both to test your fighting ability, stamina, and fighting spirit to survive. And most people can not do that. It takes time for that portion of the test to work its magic and change a person into an actual black belt. Most of the time people just defend, trying to manage, instead of actually fighting back, which is what this forces you to. And you never let go.

When my ribs broke, should I have stopped? Cried? And Never actually earned a real black belt as opposed to the many I'd earned at mcdojos? That was how it seemed then. Why do you think people in TKD wear chest protectors (at this particular school we were required to stop at blue belt). And this was the kind of school where you would fight even if pregnant. I was not attending during that, but the rules were simple- hit her anywhere but the face, throw her to the ground (normal for us to sweep or throw each other) and he would expel us. And he trained his black belts well enough to have that control.

And the pregnant lady gave birth to a perfectly healthy son who eventually became a 2nd dan under that same master.

You, and others may disagree with the intensity of how martial arts should be. But to me that is how the arts are becoming watered down and Americanized. How the real arts that inspired us to take them up are fading.

Hence that stupid argument of tradition verse modern arts. It's so short sighted. In 200 years MMA will be considered a traditional art. And if people are going to argue about the definition of what traditional or authentic really is they are being short sighted- and don't seem to me to know what that means to them. Or at least, if martial arts has no clear consensus on which is what, than it just tells me that this is a bias we just keep in our heads. MA is just MA. Hence why our club is an icon of a black circle with lines fading either toward or from it. Each line is a different style our club has seen, while the central circle encompass the true spirit of martial arts, which is in every style.

For example- on this board it is obvious I am a new ager, mixed martial artist. But every school I go to in this area, and there are many I have fine standing with, who all consider me a traditionalist. That isn't what I call myself, just what others who upon meeting me, and getting to know me in person do. It's devisive and pointless, likewise saying disparaging things like Super Alex. If you are doing your arts correctly, incorporating it into your life, you will be amazed at what the arts will allow you to do. Just explore and find that.

To Kenshin, the general consensus at the club is that it was a deliberate action. He has control of his kicks enough to hold them out and lower them, and his punches on the first few rotations were dead on. And good at that.

Then this happened, he came back for a week, haven't seen him since lol.

As for retaliating, I can't imagine a teacher doing that. Even if a student endangers me and I have to defend myself, the idea of 'he got me, I've got to get him' is so petty that I wouldn't deserve to be in a place to teach anyone anything. It wouldn't be about them, it'd be about me. and that's a godawful teacher in my book.

Plus I'm just not the type to lean toward revenge. I am Buddhist, and I believe in forgiveness, and while teaching I expect things to happen like this, sooner or later.

JKS you are right- people have taken great time to show me how to be a better teacher. I have been a head instructor at schools I respect, clubs I loved, and even places I didn't respect.

If you are a teacher it shows.

To K-man- you are right. If I ever did hurt a student in a serious manner, it would crush me. I stupidly aimed a very heavy roundhouse kick to my best student's head, before I realized he wasn't going to dodge it, and I was scared I might well, kill him (not worth risking with a muai thai kick like that). I blocked it hard enough I annihalated the metatarsals and cuneiforms in my foot. Took 3 months before I could walk without a limp- luckily for that part of the foot being broken you just need to basically use the foot so it'll heal. So let me emphasize- those I train with's safety is my priority. Even from myself if I get reckless. I will break my own foot to stop myself from hurting those I care about. Overlydramatic, but you find a way to learn how to initiate a muai thai roundhouse full force, then stop it midair, and come to me then. Which touches on a point JKS made- that control is about being able to stop, or aim in front of. I try telling my students you should be able by blackbelt to throw a punch full force, and stop it at any point you want. I did not know about certain techniques at the time which are not stoppable. A kip-up once executed must either be completed or you fall. A scissor kick done improperly will lead to ACL tearing if you try to abord mid air. The list goes on and on. Not making excuses- just pointing out that control is something vague when some martial arts encompass arts that decidedly have a lack of control. Krav Maga for example, and hence why few, at least in this area, spar with it.

But martial arts is an inherently dangerous art, depending on the style, and carries real risks. Hell, my favorite sparring partner just rejoined the club because of 3 months of recuperation Kicked me in the shin, his toe hyper extended all the way back and the tendon tore a piece of bone off. All I did was stand there and get kicked. And he came from the very first school I came from, so I know he was trained well.

You can't control everything.

I'd like to think some people have enough faith in me that if I've been allowed to lead at multiple schools (once curriculum has been learned and I have passed examination) run black belt exams, etc, than I also know when things are getting out of hand, and what I need to do about it. I tend to just call break at this point then shift people around, and we're good to go after 30 seconds.

But there are points in every martial artist's career where things are just outside of our hands. I can remember one teacher of mine in Hapkido teaching a young class how to protect against groin attacks, and after class while speaking with a parent, a little kid came up and kicked up square in the groin while the master's back was turned. Did he hold a grudge? No, that student was there till the day our school closed. But he did have his belt on the rail for a very long time.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To K-man- you are right. If I ever did hurt a student in a serious manner, it would crush me. I stupidly aimed a very heavy roundhouse kick to my best student's head, before I realized he wasn't going to dodge it, and I was scared I might well, kill him (not worth risking with a muai thai kick like that). I blocked it hard enough I annihalated the metatarsals and cuneiforms in my foot. Took 3 months before I could walk without a limp- luckily for that part of the foot being broken you just need to basically use the foot so it'll heal. So let me emphasize- those I train with's safety is my priority. Even from myself if I get reckless. I will break my own foot to stop myself from hurting those I care about.
Alex, I thought I had seen a lot of strange things in the MAs but I have never seen anyone block their own kick. Perhaps you could tell me how it is done. Personally, if I launch a kick with intent, there is no way I have time to think about consequences and stop it. The best I could do is possibly pull the power but, even then, the weight of the leg alone is going to cause damage. :asian:

OP
Z

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Let's just say the stark terror of killing or really badly hurting a friend, and going to jail made me act fast enough to basically kick myself. I remember the block well. Basically a downward angled block with a fist, which I used to effectively slam the hell out of the instep. But I am honest, I basically launched the kick and by the time my knee was past my waist and foot being extended I had realized he wasn't going to move. At that point it was either my arm (honestly thought I'd break the arm *shrug*) foot, or his head and neck. Shouldn't have been reckless, but I had been led to believe by him that he had far more experience than even I did, and was too trusting.

And when push comes to shove I'm grateful for the reflexes and speed life gifted me.
Not my proudest moment, I assure you.

And yeah, I know, I'm a bit out there in terms of strangeness.

3 months of limping like a gimp. Was not fun.

Just hit him up on facebook. Going to quote his description lol.

'this is what it looked like if i remember rightyou grab your left ankle, then you grab the back of your head with your right arm, and you bash your head with your knee.
thats what it looked like you were trying to do'

I'm guessing to reach my foot since it was extended I palmed the instep with the bottom left corner of my hand as hard as I could. To put it lightly, it looked funny, but worked. Also sucked.

Last edited:

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
True, the more experienced you get, the more control you should have. But justbecause you have control over what you are doing, does not mean you can controlhow others are suddenly going to switch from gear 1, to gear 5.
I agree with you here. If a partner comes at you wayfaster than he should then sometimes he gets taken down hard. Bigger risk ofinjury here though obviously.

We don't exist in a setting where I can tell people toleave, as this is NVCC property and students are welcome. I go to George Mason,so apart from being able to lead, I am not allowed to ask people to leave ifthey are students. It is complicated.
Wait. Whose group is it? Who is in authority? The leaderof the group should certainly be able to decide if someone can participate ornot.

That was how it seemed then. Why do you think people in TKD wear chestprotectors (at this particular school we were required to stop at blue belt).
People who train in hard contact and wear chestprotectors do so, so their chests don’t get injured. If you go as hard and fastas you can with no protective gear someone will be injured. I’d never train ata school that encourages you to injure your fellows.

And this was the kind of schoolwhere you would fight even if pregnant. I was not attending during that, butthe rules were simple- hit her anywhere but the face, throw her to the ground(normal for us to sweep or throw each other) and he would expel us. And hetrained his black belts well enough to have that control.

And the pregnant lady gave birth to a perfectly healthy son who eventuallybecame a 2nd dan under that same master.
By the old gods and the new! This is the most idiotic thingI have ever heard! This is a law suit waiting to happen. That woman should beashamed for doing such a thing when pregnant and the instructor should closehis school immediately if he encourages such reckless nonsense.

You, and others may disagree with the intensity of howmartial arts should be. But to me that is how the arts are becoming watereddown and Americanized. How the real arts that inspired us to take them up arefading.
There is a difference between intensity and idiocy. I’msure the majority of us here practice things that non martial artists wouldthink were crazy or dangerous and they are dangerous, but they are alsocontrolled.
To earn 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] dan in my system two of the thingsyou have to do are evade being skewered by a real spear and perform randori with bokken against an opponent withbokken. These are indeed very dangerous but they are so highly controlled thatunless one is absolutely positive they will be successfully without causinginjury the test is not administered.

. I stupidly aimed a very heavy roundhouse kick to mybest student's head, before I realized he wasn't going to dodge it, and I wasscared I might well, kill him (not worth risking with a muai thai kick likethat).

If you never planned on hitting him why did you aim athis head?
I blocked it hard enough Iannihalated the metatarsals and cuneiforms in my foot.
How did you block a kick that you threw?

Took 3 months before I could walkwithout a limp- luckily for that part of the foot being broken you just need tobasically use the foot so it'll heal. So let me emphasize- those I train with'ssafety is my priority. Even from myself if I get reckless. I will break my ownfoot to stop myself from hurting those I care about. Overlydramatic, but youfind a way to learn how to initiate a muai thai roundhouse full force, thenstop it midair, and come to me then.
You shouldn’t be throwing things with full force unlessyou and your partner are willing to accept the outcome. If neither of you wantinjury then don’t throw something full force, because it is supposed to injuresomeone!
Which touches on a point JKSmade- that control is about being able to stop, or aim in front of. I trytelling my students you should be able by blackbelt to throw a punch fullforce, and stop it at any point you want.
This is another good way to get someone hurt. The forcesthat would act on the body here would risk considerable injury.
I did not know about certaintechniques at the time which are not stoppable. A kip-up once executed musteither be completed or you fall. A scissor kick done improperly will lead toACL tearing if you try to abord mid air. The list goes on and on. Not makingexcuses- just pointing out that control is something vague when some martialarts encompass arts that decidedly have a lack of control. Krav Maga forexample, and hence why few, at least in this area, spar with it.
No. No. No. All martial arts have a focus on control andcontrol is not vague it is very specific. You restrain yourself and takecommand of yourself. Krav Maga does not “lose control” they are simply a moreaggressive system. No art has a “decidedly lack of control” only thepractitioners do.

You can't control everything.
No but I can control myself. If I injure myself it is myfault and I failed to control my body. If I injure my partner it is my faultbecause I failed to control my body or my ego. There are no accidents. Youmight not mean for something to happen but it is a lack of control on someone’spart that causes injury.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shouldn't have been reckless, but I had been led to believe by him that he had far more experience than even I did, and was too trusting.

Not my proudest moment, I assure you.

And yeah, I know, I'm a bit out there in terms of that strangeness.

3 months of limping like a gimp. Was not fun.
The you should have hit him. If it is his fault for not moving then it is his fault he gets hit, but it is also your fault for picking such a risky area.

OP
Z

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am Vice President and acting President currently. Professor Abushadi on NVCC faculty is our superviser. Since we are just establishing the rules, codes of conduct, etc., and because the room is the NVCC martial art room (mainly used by the club, but also the location for where the shotokan classes at our university are taught) I do not have authority to do anything more than request people to leave. I do have some shady tactics up my sleeve, which I've done in the past to shoo people away (once people tried to play a football game after we were already on location and kept passing plays through our group, so I had us do sprints through their game until they desisted. Also apologized for being rude to me, that was nice) I have 0 power to. Sure, I could give them a whomping, but ah, potentially getting the club banned or loss of charter is enough of an impetus for me to avoid causing trouble anymore.

I will say it's provided a strong impetus and I've been pushing to broaden our ability to do things like ask people not to come back. Remember, while I may have been a founding member, and most experienced member, and senior out of current membership, its a club, not a school.

People who train in hard contact and wear chestprotectors do so, so their chests don’t get injured. If you go as hard and fastas you can with no protective gear someone will be injured. I’d never train ata school that encourages you to injure your fellows.

I understand that, but often at higher levels in hapkido most strikes even wearing chest gear will still penetrate and cause serious damage. It's better to put faith in massive amount of conditioning, preparation and practice how to block such things, than it is to put faith in the foam which turned Muhammed Ali into his mental condition today. We never tried to hurt each other, and injuries were rare. Given you don't count contusions.

The not wearing a chest protector was more of a metaphor- on the street you won't wear it if you get socked or kneed there.

You are right Kenshin. I should not be generalizing so much- but surely you realize that what I meant with Krav Maga is that the risk entailed is why they train in different ways. Like water around a rock. I did accept the consequences when I threw that kick, I was also lied to about his ability level, grossly so, and is why I threw the kick.

To earn 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] dan in my system two of the thingsyou have to do are evade being skewered by a real spear and perform randori with bokken against an opponent withbokken. These are indeed very dangerous but they are so highly controlled thatunless one is absolutely positive they will be successfully without causinginjury the test is not administered.

And in that I find myself strongly agreeing. I should not have been so stupid when I used that technique. Then again there are a lot of 'ifs and should nots' from a lot of experiences in martial arts. Part of the ordeal is picking ourselves up, dusting off and going at it again.

The you should have hit him. If it is his fault for not moving then it is his fault he gets hit, but it is also your fault for picking such a risky area.

Yes it was. But I did learn a lot from this- that I do have the ability to intend that harm on others, that I can do that. It taught me the medium between extremes.

It was absolutely my fault, but since I'm fine, and he and I are on great terms... and we learned from it, doesn't make me regret it.

OP
Z

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
And yes, it is strange to be an officer of a club at one college, while actually attending another.

Latest Discussions