stretching techniques anyone??

H

hand2handCombat

ive been having some trouble with a roundhouse, i just cant seem to get my leg straight.

can u guys post some stretching techniques??

OP
L

LanceWildcat1

hand2handCombat:
ive been having some trouble with a roundhouse, i just cant seem to get my leg straight.
can u guys post some stretching techniques??

One that worked for me was taught to me by my instructor, and may be worth a try for you. Sit on the floor with one leg bent so that the heel of the foot is against your butt and the toe is facing outward. Now, stretch the other leg out as straight as you can in front of you, keeping the knee straight and the toe's facing forward and up. This will take some time, possibly, but work on it until your leg is straight, not bent, and your toe's are pointed toward the ceiling. Once you get to the point where you can hold that position without pain, bend at the waist and try to touch the toes on the extended foot. Go slow and ease into it if you have to. It took me awhile before I could grab the toe's on my extended foot and hold them for any length of time. As you get more flex in your position, hold it longer and try to extend your body further straight out along the extended leg. Do this on both sides alternately and for the same length of time. This will extend the muscles and allow you to roundhouse kick higher, stronger, and with less to no pain. I used this process 3 to 7 times a week for a month and finally got to the point where I could throw a high roundhouse with no pain, keeping my leg straight and my toes extended (instep roundhouse) or pulled back (roundhouse ball). When you are first starting, only go until you feel pain and back it off a bit. After awhile, you will find that you are going longer without feeling discomfort-as your muscles and tendons become more extendable. Hope this helps!:)

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by LanceWildcat1

hand2handCombat:

One that worked for me was taught to me by my instructor, and may be worth a try for you. Sit on the floor with one leg bent so that the heel of the foot is against your butt and the toe is facing outward. Now, stretch the other leg out as straight as you can in front of you, keeping the knee straight and the toe's facing forward and up. This will take some time, possibly, but work on it until your leg is straight, not bent, and your toe's are pointed toward the ceiling. Once you get to the point where you can hold that position without pain, bend at the waist and try to touch the toes on the extended foot. )

I'm sorry, but please,please,please don't do this. It can damage your knee because it puts stress on the tendons and ligaments in the knee joint. Its called the "hurdler's stretch" and shouldn't be used by anyone who isn't a hurdler. I was a kinesiology student in college, and this was the first thing the trainer told us, because he sees so many football and basketball players permanently injure themselves by repeatedly doing this stretch. Its harmful, and it doesn't stretch where you need to stretch.

The safe way to do this stretch is to sit on the floor and bend your left leg in (as if you were crossing your legs, but don't cross) towards the inside of your right leg. The outside of your left ankle should be on the floor, and the bottom of your left foot should be resting against the thigh of your right leg. Extend your right leg straight ahead, toes towards the ceiling...slowly bend forward and reach your hand toward the INSIDE arch of your right foot. Your legs should look like an upside down P on the floor.

Other stretches to do... Grab a partner. Stand about a foot away from the wall, facing sideways ( your shoulder is to the wall) have your partner pick up your leg and stretch it up, as if you were trying to do the splits. When you feel the stretch, tap once, and your partner will hold it for at least 30 seconds. tap twice to tap out if it hurts too much.

best of luck

respectfully,

Nightingale

OP
L

LanceWildcat1

nightingale8472:
Its harmful, and it doesn't stretch where you need to stretch.

Only if you hyperextend it! I was/am talking about easing into the stretches of the quads, tendon's and other muscles. If done correctly, what I described will not cause damage and will exercise your muscles, tendon's, and joints to allow for much better flexibility. As I was in rehab for over a year, I have shown/demonstrated these stretches to the doctor and therapist and they both agree that, when done slowly and over a period of time, these techniques will allow for better flexibility without damage to the body parts involved. I am only offering advice on techniques that worked for me, and I don't even have all the muscles, tendons, ligaments, and body parts that I started life with. These exercises have to be eased into, just like any program to increase flex, strength, and power does.

Latest Discussions