Stretching program for the middle-aged?

monk64

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm 45 and would like to improve my flexibility - particularly around kicking.

I've looked at Kurz's "Stretching Scientifically"...it is very padded with scientific discussion that I'm not interested in (I care about improving my stretching...the med student discussion of physiology, not so much).

I'm wondering if others have a program/book/routine they would recommend.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 45 and would like to improve my flexibility - particularly around kicking.

I've looked at Kurz's "Stretching Scientifically"...it is very padded with scientific discussion that I'm not interested in (I care about improving my stretching...the med student discussion of physiology, not so much).

I'm wondering if others have a program/book/routine they would recommend.

As above. I have been doing a mishmash of Yoga and fitness Pilates. Not back to what I could do years ago, at least not yet I hope, but my joints overall feel better. Consider getting yourself a leg stretcher as well. I got got myself a three leg thing, not the greatest, but also works. That is of course if you do not have one already :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would go with whatever you school teaches. If your teacher is good, he will teach what flexibility you need for your art. Don't be surprised if it is hard at first, and you don't seem to be getting anywhere. I started Hapkido when I was in my mid-40s. I stayed in pain for a very long time because I was always pushing. Eventually I began to achieve results.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like to do wall stretches, when I have a partner. When I don't, I have a rope with a loop in it that I throw over a beam in my ceiling. I stick my foot in the loop and pull on the rope until I've lifted my leg high enough to get a stretch. It's slow going, but over time I have been able to increase the height of the stretch.

Latest Discussions