Streetfighting vs Self-defense

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ditto this.

So, if it's been established that there are different styles of an ecounter where you will or may end up using physical means...are the differences such that they change the techqniues and actions you would do, and how you train?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, if it's been established that there are different styles of an ecounter where you will or may end up using physical means...are the differences such that they change the techqniues and actions you would do, and how you train?

As for selection of techniques, for me it depends on how threatened I feel, how concerned I am about getting hurt, how dangerous I believe the attacker to be.

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score

If the situation requires restraint, like policework or bouncing, than it may be necessary to train in techniques for bringing someone under control without hurting them. Likewise, the police need to learn strategies for people trying to get away from them, whereas most of the rest of us don't.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the situation requires restraint, like policework or bouncing, than it may be necessary to train in techniques for bringing someone under control without hurting them. Likewise, the police need to learn strategies for people trying to get away from them, whereas most of the rest of us don't.

Good point. There are a lot of specialized tasks that LEOs carry out that civilians don't do. And I'd guess they're often subject to a lot more scrutiny about their use of force than civilians in self-defense situations are.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
That is not what I meant with my post at all. After reading it again I can see where that might be infered, but let me clarify here. What I meant was that the more mature one gets, the less that aspect is going to present its self. Also I do not mean mature as a measure of years only. I agree totally with what you say and that is what I intended, the whole concept of fighting for your honor is just crazy. In the morning some drunks ramblings about your heritage is quite comical really, that is the point I was trying to make.

Didn't claim that was what you meant, it just reminded me of this. Sorry for the mixup :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see the situation a little bit differently.

Not long ago a person approached me at night, at a gas station while I was gassing up my car. His intentions were not good.

There were a couple of things going through my mind.

Migod, I'm going to first be using my skills in Podunk, New Hampshire.

If the fellow gets any closer I'm going to yell "Fire" at the top of my lungs.

If we come to blows, I think he's a small enough guy where I can resist him at least long enough to get in my truck and take off....but I really DO NOT want this dude touching me in any way shape or form.

Dammit, I'm not packing anything. I hope the Sharpie I was using is still in my back pocket.

I REALLY need to scare this dude away.

So gnashed my teeth and pushed my face in to a progressively uglier expression, while I verrrrrrrrry slooooooowwwwwwly drew my right hand to my side, as if I was going to reach for something.

The guy took off.

I emerged from the situation without that slimeball making any contact whatsoever.

There are plenty of people that may scoff and say that was not a real fight or that I am not a real fighter.

Decide for yourself. As for me, I have no regrets. In fact, I'm pretty damn pleased with myself.

I do want to make sure that the fightings skills that I learn are something that I can realisitically use. Not skills that a 6 foot tall 200 pound male instructor says I can use, skills I know I can use, not being anything close to male, 6 feet tall, or 200 pounds.

But make no mistake, regardless of how potent, or how potentially lethal my fighting is......I still don't want some strange weirdo touching me if I can help it. That to me, is self defense.

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are plenty of people that may scoff and say that was not a real fight or that I am not a real fighter.

I think the motto "whatever works" fits perfectly here.:highfive:

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well done Carol, Good use of your Self Defence skills. Glad it all turned out OK.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not long ago a person approached me at night, at a gas station while I was gassing up my car. His intentions were not good.

I emerged from the situation without that slimeball making any contact whatsoever.

But make no mistake, regardless of how potent, or how potentially lethal my fighting is......I still don't want some strange weirdo touching me if I can help it. That to me, is self defense.

I think these are the three most important thoughts about your encounter. You recognized a danger, knew what you wanted (or didn't want), then made the outcome of the situation meet your expectations. Sounds like you did a damn fine job on the SD side to me!! The "best" fights are the ones you stop before they even start, good for you.

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think these are the three most important thoughts about your encounter. You recognized a danger, knew what you wanted (or didn't want), then made the outcome of the situation meet your expectations. Sounds like you did a damn fine job on the SD side to me!! The "best" fights are the ones you stop before they even start, good for you.

I'll second that! Great work, Carol!

:)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Way to go Carol! That IS self defense! Self defense doesn't have to mean making contact. In reality a confrontation is one person wanting to impose their will on the other. Actually, after thinking about it the confrontation begins far before physical contact is made. You did very well!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, I tend to gear my response to what is happening at the time. This is why I think its important to have an equal balance of techniques.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

If we come to blows, I think he's a small enough guy where I can resist him at least long enough to get in my truck and take off....but I really DO NOT want this dude touching me in any way shape or form.

Dammit, I'm not packing anything. I hope the Sharpie I was using is still in my back pocket.

So gnashed my teeth and pushed my face in to a progressively uglier expression, while I verrrrrrrrry slooooooowwwwwwly drew my right hand to my side, as if I was going to reach for something.

The guy took off.

Decide for yourself. As for me, I have no regrets. In fact, I'm pretty damn pleased with myself.

I do want to make sure that the fightings skills that I learn are something that I can realisitically use. Not skills that a 6 foot tall 200 pound male instructor says I can use, skills I know I can use, not being anything close to male, 6 feet tall, or 200 pounds.

Glad to hear that everything turned out ok Carol! :) Many times, I get the impression that some think that physical skills are the only answer to a problem. IMHO, if I can verbally defuse the situation, without having it come to blows, then I feel that the job was done, and I successfully defended myself! :)

Mike

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

The guy took off.

Damn fine use of your other skills Carol. Quick thinking and using other methods besides a physical confrontation is always a good idea.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol---I agree w/all the other posters. But I also think that the guy picked up on something crucial: you really would have fought like hell and hurt him if he had moved in on you. He got that, and that's what shut him down.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

When I'm at work (bouncer) it is primarily about control of the other person/people. You want to grab them, and toss them out the door/gate. Striking and ground work aren't things I try to initiate in these situations.

On the other hand, if I'm not at work and I feel I'm going to have to get physical with someone, striking is one of my first avenues of attack.

Then of course there are other situations, like controlling a friend who's had too much to drink, or siblings/family members who get out of control during arguments. Situations where you don't want to hurt the other person, but want to stop them doing that they were doing, or were about to do.

So when I train, I try to make sure I'm keeping my striking, grappling, submission and groundwork skills equally sharp. I probably put a bit too much time into my striking, but I enjoy it more (and it's easier to train without a partner).

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
But I also think that the guy picked up on something crucial: you really would have fought like hell and hurt him if he had moved in on you. He got that, and that's what shut him down.

I agree. And I think it goes beyond just the appearance of confidence.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but people sometimes can sense things, even beyond detecting pheremones on a subconcious level or picking up on subtle visual cues.

Or maybe it IS just the sum of all those types of things that give people those "feelings."

I dunno...

Latest Discussions