Streetfighting vs Self-defense

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And I think it goes beyond just the appearance of confidence.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but people sometimes can sense things, even beyond detecting pheremones on a subconcious level or picking up on subtle visual cues.

Or maybe it IS just the sum of all those types of things that give people those "feelings."

I dunno...

No, that's exactly right zDom. What I was getting at is that the guy really did pick up on something real in Carol's attitude---she really would have fought, she knew it and so did he---however he came by that knowledge.

When a guy starts in on any kind of aggession, the thing he's looking for is a sign of fear in the prospective victim. I don't know how you would test this out, but I suspect that that's especially the case when he's contemplating aggression against a woman. And when instead of showing fear, everything in her response---what she says (or doesn't say), her body language and so on---makes it clear she's willing to do damage to him, it definitely communicates the message that it's time for him to go home. Definitely, it goes beyond appearance, as you say---because if it isn't really there inside, it's not going to convince him.

This is one of the great benefits for women in doing MAs, I think---it gives them that inward sense of power and ferocity that by itself will probably change the mind of the average predatory creep. Those guys are cowards, and a woman who're prepared to hurt them badly is way more than they want to face.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
IMO, streetfighting, and self-defense are one and the same. There's no distinction. If you are in an encounter, outside of the training hall, it falls in the "streetfighting" category. In those cases, you are defending yourself.

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
IMO, streetfighting, and self-defense are one and the same. There's no distinction. If you are in an encounter, outside of the training hall, it falls in the "streetfighting" category. In those cases, you are defending yourself.

I don't agree with that assessment and have made several attempts to define my logic and analysis of those situations. Like several others here I see "self-defense" as fighting with the intent to defend yourself. I see street-fighting as basically brawling with the intent to do serious physical harm.

I would not call bouncing, personal protection or anyother LEO-ish job as "streetfighting" because you are not intending to render physical harm to anyone. But then again this is all a question of how we define the same events...

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know I also believe that time, experience, age, and maturity all have reference in decision making. Carol, that was cool what you did. You have cool points in my book. BTW how close to UNH or 9 were you when this happened? I used to go to Sanford Maine on occassion.

Anyway I am going to back up my first statement with examples from 1996 and 2006. In 1996 I happened to be at a bar at the mouth of the Patomac on a 4 day weekend from Camp Lejeune, NC. I was in shape, great cardio from wrestling and Judo and daily activities from just being a Marine. So it's summer and tank top. Well, I thought a guy was being a jerk and told him so. He replied with "You wanna go." I stomp kicked him at the hinge point above the quad insertion, then answered yes. (Fight was over then).

Fast forward ten years.....over the summer my loud mouth neighbor was making quite a disturbance in his front yard, I told him to quit. He said "You wanna fight," I know he can't at all so I answer "If it will make you feel better about yourself to fight against someone smaller with leg braces on then let me know." He went inside and I heard nothing more about it.

Two somewhat similar events, two totally different outcomes.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I don't agree with that assessment and have made several attempts to define my logic and analysis of those situations. Like several others here I see "self-defense" as fighting with the intent to defend yourself. I see street-fighting as basically brawling with the intent to do serious physical harm.

I would not call bouncing, personal protection or anyother LEO-ish job as "streetfighting" because you are not intending to render physical harm to anyone. But then again this is all a question of how we define the same events...

In all of those situations are you defending yourself? YES. Could a life be on the line in those situations? Yes. So, no difference, if in those situations or not. It's one and the same. Even in street fights there's not always intent to do serious harm. Just gotta whoop their backside! So, sometimes it's just a "wash". Too may scenarios for me, so, I have it down to two: Fighting, or training. Outside training, dojos, etc.. it's a fight, and you must defend yourself. Otherwise, you go about your everyday life.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know I also believe that time, experience, age, and maturity all have reference in decision making. Carol, that was cool what you did. You have cool points in my book. BTW how close to UNH or 9 were you when this happened? I used to go to Sanford Maine on occassion.

I love Sanford! Heck, I love Maine :)

I wasn't up by the University, I was down closer to the Mass. border.

Anyway I am going to back up my first statement with examples from 1996 and 2006. In 1996 I happened to be at a bar at the mouth of the Patomac on a 4 day weekend from Camp Lejeune, NC. I was in shape, great cardio from wrestling and Judo and daily activities from just being a Marine. So it's summer and tank top. Well, I thought a guy was being a jerk and told him so. He replied with "You wanna go." I stomp kicked him at the hinge point above the quad insertion, then answered yes. (Fight was over then).

Fast forward ten years.....over the summer my loud mouth neighbor was making quite a disturbance in his front yard, I told him to quit. He said "You wanna fight," I know he can't at all so I answer "If it will make you feel better about yourself to fight against someone smaller with leg braces on then let me know." He went inside and I heard nothing more about it.

Two somewhat similar events, two totally different outcomes.

You did well, my friend. You have cool points in my book too....not that you need them :) :asian:

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the words, litterally translated, are exactly what they are. I think they overshadow each other on many areas. A square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square. Self-Defense doesn't always happen in the street. I think any street fight requires self defense though. When something is up for interpretation and perspective, it seems to lose it's concrete universal meaning. To me it's litteral. Besides, I call it all scuffle or fistacuffs (or bootstacuffs lol)