How often do you wash your Uniform?

A

auxprix

I just can't help but be curious. Do you throw it in the wash after every use, or do you have a set day or two in the week? Or do you have a more unconventional approach to judge when washing's necessary? For instance, washing everytime you find blood splatter (I'm sure some people here would like to keep it for effect) or after every practice that sensei/sifu wrinkles their nose at the disgusting smell you generate.

OP
S

shasticon

After every single workout. If your uniform is still clean enough to wear again after practice, you aren't working hard enough. :D

OP
S

Spud

Every other work out. With a shot of Febreeze to get me through.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Usually every other workout, I just make sure that as soon as I get home I hang the gi to dry.

Lamont

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was teaching everyday I had 3 uniforms and washed them wednesday night and sunday afternoon. It was too hard to try and get by with just 1 uniform.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wash it whenever it needs it. I'm usually soaking wet with sweat after class but after I get home and change, my gi dries out and doesn't smell. It usually lasts for several weeks and if I get a slight whiff, I wash it. There are guys in our class who do get rather stinky but I've never been complained about as I'm prissy and don't like to smell bad anyway.

Robyn :asian:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
After every single workout, hopefully within that day. Somedays I would go to practice twice so wearing the same color (new clean uniform each time) helps to wash both in the same go. I wash cold and hang dry. I really hate to be around people who have dirty ground in uniforms. Its bad enough we have sweat but that isn't as bad as a sweaty garment that has bacterial growth from not washing promptly --that causes it to smell much worse. WASH if not for your own nose but your friends as well! TW

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not only will your uniform smell bad if you don't wash it every time, but you WILL get a fungal infection on your skin if you do not.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sharp Phil said:
Not only will your uniform smell bad if you don't wash it every time, but you WILL get a fungal infection on your skin if you do not.

Ever had athlete's foot on your ankles? Uncomfortable and unsightly!

Now I wash every time! That day if possible. I just was promoted and switched up to my heavy black uniform (my style start out in thin white uni from 9th kyu to 6th kyu) and I get sweaty just walking in from my car LOL

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every evening after class, and I have 6 or 7. If you let them sit, the bacteria just continues to grow - at least in 95 degree heat and 100% humidity.

-Michael

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're supposed to wash them? I thought the sign of true skill was when you could stand them up in the corner on their own!

Seriously, after each workout. Gets nasty fast if not. Did have a TAI instructor who did not believe in washing his grappling gi...used it to punish the petty; would tie them up, then rub the armpit in their face. Comical, and gross, all at the same time.

Dave

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
After each workout. I have a few uniforms and rotate wearing them, especially for sparring nights.

There's one man in our school who doesn't do laundry (see Seig's above!!!) and "forgets" to give his gi to his wife to wash. Makes your eyes water.

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I wash mine whenever it needs it! Actually never thought seriously about it. Why would I want to be in something that smells?

OP
S

Scout_379

whenever it needs it, which is usually every night.

OP
G

Gary Crawford

after every workout,especially since I only wear heavyweights

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I can throw it at the wall and it hangs there by itself...

But seriously, I have a few and tend to rotate them

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never wear my Gi, its way too hot. I've worn it maybe three times, once when testing for my orange belt and two other times because I was dumb.

Latest Discussions