Stopping Natural Reactions

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone who's cross trained can probably answer this question for me.

I'm taking Judo 1 and Karate 1 next semester (starting january) along with my regular classes in college.

I've never trained in anything except for Kenpo. Now, I was invited to Theresa's school a while back (fightback2) and I sparred with the students there (it was a great experience). The only problem I had was, at their school they don't usually hit to the head, and if you do, its *very* controlled. Now, it was all controlled, but no matter how many times I told myself to stop doing it, I continued to counter-wheel kick to their heads, or to do double side fists, before I could think about it.The reaction was (and is) ingrained into me it seems.

They all seemed to get a kick out of it (no pun intended), but I'm worried that I won't be able to properly learn at these two classes (karate and judo, probably moreso karate) in school because of the natural reactions that I have ingrained in me. To get myself to stop reacting improperly in karate or judo class at school will I have to learn their technique and start reacting improperly at my kenpo studio?

How has this worked out for other people that have cross trained?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting question. In my experience, there is always a difference between how you practice your different arts, and how you would use it in a real self-defense situation vs. in a sparring situation. When you practice the techniques for the different arts, just practice them as you are taught them. Keep your arts separate, for purposes of training. I usually don't find this to be too difficult.

When you start sparring, you need to play by their rules. Keep in mind, however, sparring is not fighting. So play by their rules as well as you can, and don't worry about the occasional screw-ups if you do something they don't allow. It is only sparring, which is kind of like a game. It has rules and you need to follow them as well as possible. But when it comes to fighting, there are no rules and you can freely use whatever is appropriate to meet the situation, regardless of which art the material came from.

I guess what I am saying is just go with it, have fun, do the best you can, but don't sweat it. The teacher will probably understand that some people have had prior training, and will expect this kind of thing to arise from time to time.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Judo won't be an issue. At first you may start a strike once in a while, but for the most part, it's just too different. I do remember a judge at a Judo tournment once telling me I was bowing like a karateka (fists closed) rather than a judoka (hands open).

As to sparring under different rules in Karate...my guess is that it won't come up much in Karate 1. If it does, then yes, you need to adjust, and you can't have two different styles of sparring both be what you're best at, I imagine. I spar under different stick-fighting rules all the time. It's annoying to be told I can't use my left hand (like in fencing) when I'm used to doing so. I start to do so and stop myself, and that costs me time. There's no winning! But, it doesn't matter. You're not there to compete, but to broaden yourself. Try it their way!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keep us updated on this new endeavor. It would be good to hear what you think about the cross training, and the specific arts you will be training.

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Keep us updated on this new endeavor. It would be good to hear what you think about the cross training, and the specific arts you will be training.

Of course. But you're gonna have to wait, oh, two months.
:)

I wish this semester was over already and I could just get to the break in between... I could use it. I'm never gonna burn out on kenpo but I sure as hell can't say the same about school, unfortunately.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sam said:
Of course. But you're gonna have to wait, oh, two months.
:)

I wish this semester was over already and I could just get to the break in between... I could use it. I'm never gonna burn out on kenpo but I sure as hell can't say the same about school, unfortunately.

Of course, next semester. Freshman year? Decided on your major yet?

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
It'll be sophmore year actually. 3rd semester.

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
wow! Did you start early?

*inhales deep breath* (in one breath)

I hated high school I dropped out I got my GED I go to my local community college I'm gonna have my associates when all my friends graduate it was the best thing I could have done and I am very happy now

*exhales*

(I've told this story a lot, lol)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sam said:
*inhales deep breath* (in one breath)

I hated high school I dropped out I got my GED I go to my local community college I'm gonna have my associates when all my friends graduate it was the best thing I could have done and I am very happy now

*exhales*

(I've told this story a lot, lol)

Gotcha! I guess I haven't been paying attention the way I should have (heh heh).

I actually attend night classes at the local community college in San Francisco. I finished my BA degree about 12 years ago in Minnesota, so now I just take classes that I have a personal interest in, stuff like anthropology, astronomy, biology, stuff I wanted to do, but didn't fit my major back when I was in school, and I love it! I was able to study Wing Chun kung fu there, and they have a very talented judo instructor on staff as well. Someday I'll sign up for his classes too.

I have also learned metal-working in the art dept., which has enabled me to pursue my interest in re-building kung fu swords. This has become my newest obsession.

anyway, sounds like things are going well, drive on!

michael

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's just a matter of discipline and keeping the arts separate while you learn them. It is quite difficult - but hey, that's training.

I did a few years of Bujinkan Budo and then started x-training in aikido. It took me a while to break the habit of kicking my partner in the head after I threw them down - and the kick-to-the-knee habit - and the step-on-the-foot habit - and the claw-at-the-throat habit - . . .

Soon I was able to keep the two styles separate, and it was tough. I felt that each style was hindering my learning of the other, but after a while (a couple years) I felt like each style was complementing the other nicely.

I still think the aikido softened me up a bit too much though. :D

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You will find that your different styles creep in once in a while. My karate sensei teases me about my "boxer's stance" and my kickboxing coach calls me 'karate girl' when I square off too much.

I have to make a conscious effort to keep them seperate, but I have found each have their value so I'm willing to make that effort.

Good luck!:)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:

Good for you? Then on to a four-year school? There'll be even more martial arts options at a university, as a rule.

Latest Discussions