Reacting instinctively

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So has anyone ever reacted instinctively to a situation based on their martial arts training. It doesn't have to just be actual fights or defence situations but anytime your reactions were quicker because of your training.

This is my one that quite honestly still surprised me that I managed to do it. I'd been doing kenpo for about maybe 4 weeks at this point and it was a sports day and 1 guy who wasnt a bully but was a bit of an idiot was going round pantsing people on the pitch. So obviously I saw this and was trying to avoid having my boxers shown off to everyone but yeah we were carrying on with the sport games and the guy came up behind me to do it to me and as soon as I felt his hands on my shorts I snapped back an elbow which hit him in the chin. Not hard or anything but enough to stop him. Nothin else happened he just laughed about it and walked off.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Years ago in college, I stepped off the campus bus onto a patch of black ice and slipped. Backpack pulled me slightly backwards, but I instinctively landed on my side in what I know as "drop kick position."

No pain, no bruises.

McBryde Mats

White Belt
Reaction score
I was the victim of an attempted mugging once, a guy cam up to me at a beerfest with two of his friends, drunk and brandishing a knife. I locked his wrist as he raised it to point it at me and took him down with a side throw, my friends rushed over and held back the others, security arrived shortly thereafter... it happened so fast, i even struggle remembering the moment as it happened sometimes...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was the victim of an attempted mugging once, a guy cam up to me at a beerfest with two of his friends, drunk and brandishing a knife. I locked his wrist as he raised it to point it at me and took him down with a side throw, my friends rushed over and held back the others, security arrived shortly thereafter... it happened so fast, i even struggle remembering the moment as it happened sometimes...

Your incident is something to remember when mentally moaning about doing yet more repetitions of a technique. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would worry less about instinct, and more about positioning yourself, against potential threats, and simply readying yourself to strike, by automatically seeking, a good, but sneaky, starting point for striking: Hand on the chest; Scratch the beard; adjust your glasses; or what have you. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would worry less about instinct, and more about positioning yourself, against potential threats, and simply readying yourself to strike, by automatically seeking, a good, but sneaky, starting point for striking: Hand on the chest; Scratch the beard; adjust your glasses; or what have you. :)

Scratch my beard? what are you trying to say? ;)

The things you suggest are things we've always used at work, I tend to put my hand on my face covering my chin and my mouth in a way that looks like sympathetic listening but my hand is ready just in case, I also stand in a way that if I'm grabbed I can react easily.

Rayrob

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was shopping in Asda's when a very young child stumbled into a display stand of metal vaccum flasks. The top flask wobbled and then fell and would have brained the kid if not for my Superman like dive. I not only got there in time but managed to catch the flask by it's handle. I got a spontaneous round of applause from the shoppers waiting at the checkouts. A hero in my own lunchtime.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was shopping in Asda's when a very young child stumbled into a display stand of metal vaccum flasks. The top flask wobbled and then fell and would have brained the kid if not for my Superman like dive. I not only got there in time but managed to catch the flask by it's handle. I got a spontaneous round of applause from the shoppers waiting at the checkouts. A hero in my own lunchtime.
I went to visit my Dad, at his favorite watering hole, and at one point I was walking out of the bathroom, when I see a giant heaver set Native American, running at me like I was about to be tackled. I suddenly found myself doing that technique from Karate, and just as I was about to hit him, he kept going, and was only heading for the restroom, in a very big hurry. I looked to the crowd, and everyone was applauding. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This.

okh4qw7wLU5x8ww-7GYLEbyOZ0N_1XoxUxExr4Z-GBQnNsb48az9d8O7Gwb7s8bGccuEuHWi4eTOlVnjiDtCZ8KhdN80gYzxfQ3IR4ck-UpP-JFRzA0zYlBVzZlivp_E8o4NP4qoEzmV1OW12eYH=w467-h315-nc