Kajukenbo

• Thread starter Deleted member 34973
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34973

So, there is a Kajukenbo school in this beautiful place I live called the Gorge and I have been finding myself interested in training and gaining experience in a different system, after years of Korean Karate, I thought it would be interesting.

I have already met the Head Instructor, who seems like a nice guy. I discussed a class and was invited to come anytime, which I do plan on attending.

I am looking for some feedback, since I have no real knowledge of the system. I have watched a few vids but, martial talk is where the best answers are.

Does anyone have any personal experience with system? Their method of teaching, class structure etc..?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some feedback, since I have no real knowledge of the system. I have watched a few vids but, martial talk is where the best answers are.

Does anyone have any personal experience with system? Their method of teaching, class structure etc..?

Kajukenbo is one of those systems that is more like a hybrid swarm of subsystems and it would be really really difficult to pigeonhole into a particular structure. I realize this isn't terribly helpful. I studied with two different lineages under the Kajukenbo-Kenpo system and found it to be pretty good. Like anything else the instructor is more important than the system, a bad instructor can muck up a perfectly good system.

OP
D

Deleted member 34973

Columbia Gorge? You might have to be a little more specific.
It is an area on the Columbia River in Washington and Oregon. About 60 miles from Portland Oregon.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like everything else, it depends on the teachers and the students. I saw the Kajukenbo episode of Fight Quest when I was looking to re-start MA training. I looked up a local Kajukenbo school immediately. Absolutely nothing like the show. Granted, it was TV and the instructors were legendary in Kajukenbo, but my local school was awful when I observed classes on 2 occasions. There's great, awful and everything in between in every art (as long as there's more than 1 or 2 schools of that art).

Visiting the local school is the only way to find out if it's a good fit.

Latest Discussions