Steven Seagal: Lawman

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, I think that if an actor were to agree to star in a reality television show, we would be justified in assuming that they were seeking attention of some form. I do not think that is any particularly esoteric or underhand fact though? From the short write up in the link, I had thought that gaining a little attention for his particular police dept. was the whole premise? Perhaps I have misunderstood?

I am not certain how good that analogy is as I am not aware whether Elvis and/or Shaq were trained police?

And but irrespective, I do not get the "ha ha" or "oh no" of a genuine, trained police who is also an MA actor doing such a show? If he were untrained, I would understand - is that maybe what you are trying to say? I had assumed that having served the police department for those years that he would have been adequately trained in carrying out that role? I appreciate that Seagal has his detractors for myriad and well-documented reasons. Perhaps your arguments are as simple as that?

Not seeking an argument, just had wondered if I was not party to the joke because I was missing something pertinent re Seagal in this role :)
A lot of celebrities are given honorary badges by police departments, mainly for publicity. Shaq had or has one in Florida, if I am not mistaken and Presley, as archangel said, collected them.

I have no clue if Shaq actually went through the academy training, though given that he is still a starter (or was at the time) on an NBA team, I would think that he probably could have.

Presley was trained by Ed Parker, Kang Rhee, and a number of other highly regarded trainers in various styles of karate and kenpo. He was reportedly quite good for a guy who's main job was singing and making movies and there are numerous documented instances of him defending himself in real life. Certainly, at any point much past seventy three, Presley was in no condition to do LEO work, mainly because he struggled with a prescription drug addiction and weight issues, both of which ruined his health and ultimately killed him.

As far as Seagal goes, I doubt that he could survive the academy, but I have no doubt that he could handle himself making an arrest. Unlike Presley and Shaq, the man is a career martial artist and certainly still has the moves, though he looks less impressive on screen that he used to.

I have no opinion of him professionally, but as a moviegoing martial arts practitioner, he always amazed me. Even in his recent movies, he still looks pretty good for a man of his age.

On the other hand, take a look at Dolph Lundgren. You would never know that he is fifty one. The man still moves impressively and is very, very in shape. Both he and Seagal make direct to video movies of varying quality, so it is not as if Seagal is in some profession that prevents him from doing doing the same.

Daniel

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On the other hand, take a look at Dolph Lundgren. You would never know that he is fifty one. The man still moves impressively and is very, very in shape.

Ah, but don't forget the big man, Bolo Yeung! That guy is around 70 years old, and still looks cut, since he still pumps iron regularly.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Shaq is the real deal. In LA, he actually turned down or refused to be a reserve for LAPD because all they wanted to do was photo op stuff. He went through an academy, and achieved certification as a reserve officer, I think with LA Port Authority PD. In Florida, he's again earned certification as a reserve officer with full arrest authority.

Reportedly, Eric Estrada and (believe it or not) Jack Osborn have continued to serve as reserve officers since that reality show, as well.

That said -- I'm kind of surprised that nobody has mentioned Steven Seagal until this... And I know a few Louisiana cops.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh goodness, I guess if the premise of the argument is reducable to "we are no fans of Steven Seagal" then there is little to rebut

I think the argument is:

All things of this sort have been bad.
This is something of this sort.
---
Therefore, this will probably be bad.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree with the above, but extend it. I think the argument is also, whether or not he is a good martial artist, whether or not he can act as a funtioning LEO, whether or not he is out of shape, his personality is amusing.

If there was a reality show about him that did not include the LEO aspect, I would expect it to be funny. If there was a show where he demonstrated his continuing competency as a 7th degree black belt and lineage holder, I would find it interesting to see what he taught, and expect it to be funny. The man has a long, well-earned reputation for being full of himself and a little odd. Let's just enjoy our time with him.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just keep seeing his crappy gun handling from his films in my mind...

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with the above, but extend it. I think the argument is also, whether or not he is a good martial artist, whether or not he can act as a funtioning LEO, whether or not he is out of shape, his personality is amusing.

If there was a reality show about him that did not include the LEO aspect, I would expect it to be funny. If there was a show where he demonstrated his continuing competency as a 7th degree black belt and lineage holder, I would find it interesting to see what he taught, and expect it to be funny. The man has a long, well-earned reputation for being full of himself and a little odd. Let's just enjoy our time with him.

I hope the show is filled with long Segal monologues making sure all of the US knows just how awesome he is and how lucky we are to be watching his show. I hope he carefully explains why he can beat any martial artist on the planet and he's practically a superhero already so why not fight crime.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just keep seeing his crappy gun handling from his films in my mind...
Hang on a minute. I've seen the guy with my own two eye, take on a Jamaican drug ring and take out a whole department of corrupt police officers. He was also a navy SEAL, you know, honest. I remember him saving the USS Missouri and banging Erika Eleniak AT THE SAME TIME. Please have some respect for the man. He truly is an American hero. I think he's a Tibetan hero too.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Regardless of what I think of Seagal's career as a martial artist and as an actor, I'm still totally gonna watch some of this show.
You forgot about his career as a blues musician too.

To be honest, he is actually pretty good. His music is more authentic than his acting.

I still like his movies though. I just cannot help but smile as I watch them. His old ones were well made action flicks. His new ones are ... interesting, and sometimes funnier than they intend to be. I am still entertained, which is what matters.

Daniel

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You forgot about his career as a blues musician too.

To be honest, he is actually pretty good. His music is more authentic than his acting.

I still like his movies though. I just cannot help but smile as I watch them. His old ones were well made action flicks. His new ones are ... interesting, and sometimes funnier than they intend to be. I am still entertained, which is what matters.

Daniel
His older ones actually had some aikido in them. I haven't really seen anything but machine guns and using rap artists to draw a bigger crowd in any of his recent ones.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
His older ones actually had some aikido in them. I haven't really seen anything but machine guns and using rap artists to draw a bigger crowd in any of his recent ones.
They still have some, but he has definitely been more gun heavy. He did a movie recently, 'the foreigner' if I recall, that involved Dim Mak, and a number of his other recent movies have had a fair amount of sword work. And in that, he still has the techinique, no question.

I managed to sit out the Glimmer man (the one with DMX), but that one is actually fairly old.

Daniel

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did not know about that one! I would bet that that is very interesting to watch.
Daniel

That was a joke man, you know how Segal claims to be the greatest at anything you can think of.

Ever notice how he's always got some new movie playing on USA or TBS? I swear, every week there's a new Segal movie I've never heard of. Always the same though, he wears black, talks low and for some reason the bad guys leave their arm out so he can snap it off.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Along time ago we has this guy in a IDPA match. He wore commando cloths, 'tactical' knife, tricked out gun, etc.... would have wore a thigh holster if IDPA would have allowed it.

But he was overweight. Way way overweight. So overweight that when he had to go prone (slowly) he had to have others help him up.

I sure hope Mr. Seagal isn't in that bad a shape to play cop. Sure hate to see him bend over to pick up his ticket pad.

Deaf

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Got word back from a contact; it's legit. He's had a long association with Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office. Apparently, he was close friends with the sheriff for many years.

Latest Discussions