Steven Segal is Back!

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just watched it online. Not bad, but WTF..is everybody on this PD a Sgt, Captain, Major or chief? And if Steve is a "reserve officer" how is he a commanding officer. We don't have reserves here so Im unsure of how they work.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the wife and I watched a bit of this last night and I must say I was pleasantly shocked. It was like Cops but with Steven Seagal and it had quite a few parts that I thought were hilarious.
icon6.gif
But I'm not exactly certain that they were meant to be hilarious...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just watched it online. Not bad, but WTF..is everybody on this PD a Sgt, Captain, Major or chief? And if Steve is a "reserve officer" how is he a commanding officer. We don't have reserves here so Im unsure of how they work.
Cynical answer? Who contributed a big pile of green paper to the sheriff's election campaign...

It does rather amaze me to see even a reserve deputy chief, colonel and captains hitting the streets like that!

That said -- when rumors first circulated, I checked with some LE acquaintances down that way. He's really been doing it for 20 years, and is pretty active. It ain't all photo ops and BS...

I was kind of disappointed that, in the best place to showcase his aikido skills, he was hardly shown doing much of anything... And, I think if he says "my lifelong study of the martial arts has taught me to..." one more time, it's going to have to become a drinking game!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that would be a great drinking game.
icon10.gif
Sure you do! You've got the stomach pump concession, don't you?! "My lifetime of martial arts training tells me" that there'd be quite a bit of alcohol ingested that way... in the first half hour!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that would be a great drinking game.
icon10.gif
I think ½ drunk might be the only way I could stomach that show. I tried watching it. I really did, but, I kept having flashbacks of the 20 min speech at the end of Fire Down Below...

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO the whole "my martial arts experience allows me to tell when a guy is armed...about to run...etc" thing is a load of crap. You get that from "street experience" and dealing with people, not from martial arts classes/training.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO the whole "my martial arts experience allows me to tell when a guy is armed...about to run...etc" thing is a load of crap. You get that from "street experience" and dealing with people, not from martial arts classes/training.
Oh, I'll buy that martial arts training -- when done properly -- can cue you in on things a little quicker, but it's far from the only way. Give me a cop who's hobby is magic/sleight-of-hand, and I bet he'll pick up on a lot stuff, too, for example.

And -- as you say -- most of it is street experience, and there's no substitute for it.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Situational awareness training is a MUST if you're training for SD. I'm certain that he amped up his "ability" to read someones intentions from small clues a bit for the show but I'm just as certain that between his training in the MA and his time on the street with the department that he's picked up on a few things.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Training aint doing". You can train all you want in situational awareness, watch videos on threat cues, read books etc. but until you have REALLY observed the stuff you are looking for it's all theoretical. But I do agree that having the "theoretical" training in the bag does help you register stuff quicker when you do observe it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Training aint doing". You can train all you want in situational awareness, watch videos on threat cues, read books etc. but until you have REALLY observed the stuff you are looking for it's all theoretical. But I do agree that having the "theoretical" training in the bag does help you register stuff quicker when you do observe it.
Absolutely! While learning martial arts may give you some insights into movement and what things mean -- it's still no substitute for experience.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing I questioned on this show..while I have no "proof" of this, I was wondering how much of this stuff was "live" and how much was "staged".

Unlike COPS, which at least always appears to be filmed by a person with a camera in the back seat of a squad car..in this show there were a LOT of cuts, multiple camera angles and other cues that made me wonder if a number of these scenes were "acted out" and added in....

And while I respect the man's service to his community, I have to wonder if it's really "service" or some sort of ego gratification. Perhaps I'm a "hater" but every time I see the guy something screams "EGO" at me. He strikes me as the type of guy who has to be the "big cheese"...large and in charge at all times.

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know how many were acted out, or set up... or even just occurred in a slightly different time frame than implied by the show. But it's also worth remembering that COPS is covering several cops, and rarely tries to get all their cameras onto one call. This show... Seagal is the focus. They can have a couple of camera crews rolling to everything that he does.

And the shooting? You can't convince me that the little bit of training he did there moved a poor shooter to expert levels... There was either a lot more work than was shown, or more likely, the "guy worried about qualifying" was a ringer! (Any one else note the change in Seagal's gun for some of the shooting?)

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO the whole "shooting thing" was a set-up to showcase Segal's "Awsome Firearms Skills". Already people on the net are spreading his legendary shooting ability based on two shots on a paper target. While a fine example of a good fundamentals and a close grouping..true "combat skills" encompass a LOT more than what was shown. Maybe he has those too...but from what was shown there is already a lot of hype being spread about.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IMO the whole "shooting thing" was a set-up to showcase Segal's "Awsome Firearms Skills". Already people on the net are spreading his legendary shooting ability based on two shots on a paper target. While a fine example of a good fundamentals and a close grouping..true "combat skills" encompass a LOT more than what was shown. Maybe he has those too...but from what was shown there is already a lot of hype being spread about.
He seemed to do fairly well in the house clearing on the latest episode... course that could have been a set up as well. As for the hype, I think it could be a good thing for a martial artist to be seen in a good light for once. I've said it before folks either love him or hate him and nothing is gonna change those minds. I'm an aikido-ka and happen to like him. I'll keep watching as long as they keep puttin' them on.