Firearms

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I happen to be watching Steven Seagal Lawman this morning on A&E TV, and the episode showed that he is a very good marksman with a handgun. He was helping another officer practice his shooting skills for his annual re-certification to carry his handgun. It looked like from 15 or so feet away, Steven was shooting the target and then repeating the shot, hitting the target through the same hole. And he did this many times, with the hole not growing any bigger than say a quarter. That's pretty good shooting.

That kinda got me to thinking. My first sifu was a firearms enthusiast, my current sifu is an enthusiast. I'm not that much of an enthusiast, but own and practice from time to time with a firearm. Just wondered, how many Wing Chun practitioners are also into firearms? My first sifu always said firearms are the modern martial arts and we as WC practitioners need to advance with technology.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In my opinion, if you own a weapon and expect to use it in self-defense, you'd better be damn good at it. It's a responsibility.

... but firearms as the modern martial arts? It all depends on how you define "martial arts". Is it the art of killing, or the art of self-realization?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not a handgun enthusiast and my shotgun and a couple of rifles were stolen during a burglary years ago. My instructor and a couple of training partners carry. Here in Arizona anyone can carry concealed or openly without a permit, so it's common. The biggest impact on my 'chun is that I have to remember to ask if my buddies are carrying before we train. On several ocassions I've accidentally hit someone's handgun during practice. (We often have informal practices at parks, garages, and the like). Nothing like throwing a low level palm at someone's side and smacking something angular, metallic and hard, only to have your partner say, "Sorry dude, that's my piece!"

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, if you own a weapon and expect to use it in self-defense, you'd better be damn good at it. It's a responsibility.

... but firearms as the modern martial arts? It all depends on how you define "martial arts". Is it the art of killing, or the art of self-realization?

To define Martial Art "loosely" - 1001 ways to kick your fellow man's @ss. :p You can knock him around, down and out, or you can make hast to his current life... The art of fighting, conflict, battle, war ... with the extreme out come being total destruction.

Weapons of old and new are but part of martial art and extension of the process.

AND you SHOULD be familiar with your state law pertains to self defense with an fire arm.

Myself included, most of my MA friends owns and practice with their fire arms. I have .22's, .380, 9mm, .40, .46 spanning up to an hog leg (compares to my size that is) Ruger 44 Mag Super Redhawk.

And NOOO, I'm not an GUN NUT! Cause my wife saz it ain't so.:D

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a handgun enthusiast and my shotgun and a couple of rifles were stolen during a burglary years ago. My instructor and a couple of training partners carry. Here in Arizona anyone can carry concealed or openly without a permit, so it's common. The biggest impact on my 'chun is that I have to remember to ask if my buddies are carrying before we train. On several ocassions I've accidentally hit someone's handgun during practice. (We often have informal practices at parks, garages, and the like). Nothing like throwing a low level palm at someone's side and smacking something angular, metallic and hard, only to have your partner say, "Sorry dude, that's my piece!"

Damn! I bet its fun training with you guys. I've heard Texas was about the same as far as everybody carrying.

I remember a few years ago when I had my own Kempo dojo here in Kentucky. I never considered carrying a firearm for self defense but did carry a knife at times. I got licensed just as an example to any of my adult students who were considering getting the permit and/or carrying. I didn't initially carry but I wanted to set the example of exercising my right TO carry.
The actual day of the 911 attacks I went and bought my first firearm. :D

The best advice to get with regarding firearms(especially for novices) is to first go ahead and take a conceal/carry class. You learn all the things you really need to know regarding your states particular laws and such. If the instructor is worth a damn at all then you will learn how to clean, disassemble, load fire, reload and all that with your weapon, state-to-state reciprocity laws and such.
Anyone who doesn't want to carry a firearm but still wants some type of protection or fighting chance then there are all types of knives, tazers, batons and spikes, but be careful. In KY any blade over 3" long is considered a deadly weapon. I'm sure other states have some type of limit as well. If you are not licensed and you have a knife then you are outside of the law.
Any of these fantasy 'gun defense' techniques (and I know that my particular art of kempo boasts a lot of these:confused: ) where you think you can take the gun away and use it on them is a bad idea. They don't work on the street like they do in the dojo. Three years bouncing at a local venue here in DERBY CITY taught me a lot about that. Also they may have brought the gun into the mix but if you take the gun then shoot them while they are unarmed then you are outside of the law. Those are some things to consider.
The wonderful thing is that in KY the permit covers 'any legally obtainable weapon'. So since you have to pass the shooting test to get the permit I say go and rent or borrow a gun, pass the test, then carry what you are comfortable with. Lastly, just like any other martial art, practice it and you will improve. Gun Range=Dojo=Kwoon

Poor Uke

Green Belt
Reaction score

WOW!! You crazy Americanos!

:)

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

-----------------------------------------------------
I am an Americano- but I don't carry guns- and think that it is far more important for self defense- to be aware of what cars, alcohol and drugs can do to us.
I am not arguing against watching out for a dangerous guy with a gun.
Just pointing towards a sense of proportion about relative dangers.... cars, health risks, drunks, addicts, knives and guns.

joy chaudhuri

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Yes, we are crazy ... we constantly have to fight like crazy to keep our right to bear arm, and we tends to enjoy the freedom to the fullest while we can.

Can't say the same for the unfortunate people of other countries, only the "WELL CONNECTED" have access to fire arms.

Can you believe the ***** the United Nations is trying pull? Get the USA to join in on their effort of making a "SAFER" and more peaceful world ... by banning personal fire arms??? :mad::mad::mad::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
WOW!! You crazy Americanos!:)

Quite right. Now on the other hand there are countries like Mexico where it's almost impossible to acquire a gun legally. Anybody check the news lately for people getting shot... in say... Ciudad Juarez?

Living here in Phoenix, I'm a lot more worried about getting killed by some maniacal driver than one of our local gun nuts. Check out Vajramusdi's last post (he lives in the same metro area).

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In the UK we dont deal with firearms as much as other European countries or the US, but they do exist here. Sadly the reality of it is, that if someone wants to gun you down, they will. You cant stop a bullet with your mind etc!

However, a lot of gun defence involves trying to go to places where gun use is less (crowded places, staying away from big roads where drivebys can happen etc)
But sadly it is still only reducing your chances of getting attacked with a gun

In the event of a one on one situation where a person points a gun at you, there are two basic options and it will depend on the circumstance. You either give the attacker what they want, or you blitz them with attacks. Its a very split choice. You could hand over your wallet and still get gunned down. Or you could take the person on and get caught out.

It comes down to your personality and the circumstance at the time

Personally speaking I would probably cradle into a ball or use the classic technique (which was in Dinner For Schmucks) - pretend to faint lol

TH420X

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm from Florida, which, contrary to popular belief, is still the South. As most everyone knows, Southern folks love their guns! I am licensed by the State of Florida to carry a concealed firearm and/or other weapons. As I sit at my desk, at work, my gun is on me. I believe martial arts training is useful and effective for many different things, however, if someone has a gun and there is too little distance to close in on them, yet too much distance to make a getaway, another firearm is the only option for putting you on equal ground.

I am also a member of the NRA and try to train with my EDC (every day carry) firearm at the range, at least twice a month. I also practice drawing the firearm, at home, weekly. I consider the gun to be a supplement to my martial arts training and a tool to use along with everything else. Basically, it's better to have and not need than need and not have.

-Todd

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm from Florida, which, contrary to popular belief, is still the South. As most everyone knows, Southern folks love their guns! I am licensed by the State of Florida to carry a concealed firearm and/or other weapons. As I sit at my desk, at work, my gun is on me. I believe martial arts training is useful and effective for many different things, however, if someone has a gun and there is too little distance to close in on them, yet too much distance to make a getaway, another firearm is the only option for putting you on equal ground.

I am also a member of the NRA and try to train with my EDC (every day carry) firearm at the range, at least twice a month. I also practice drawing the firearm, at home, weekly. I consider the gun to be a supplement to my martial arts training and a tool to use along with everything else. Basically, it's better to have and not need than need and not have.

-Todd

Florida is an great place for gun owners ... but so is Texas! I had stationed at Eglin AFB, Fort Walton Beach from 1984 to 1993.:cheers:

Fei Ze Min

White Belt
Reaction score
I am a wing Chun practicioner and I am a fire arm enthusiast. Weapons have always been apart of the martial arts and the gun is no different. There seems to be this false romantisizing (I hope I spelled that right) about hand to hand combat that "only losers fight with guns true men go at it hand to hand". I say BULLS*&T! If the gun is such an effect weapon that any moron can use it to effectively take life, all the more I should learn it and effectively use it to defend life!