Stepping and Movement

grifter

White Belt
Reaction score
From my (limited) understanding of Wing Chun, stance is the key to power and maintaining good structure. One of my biggest problems as a beginning student is mastering the WC footwork. Does anyone have any advice on how to move? Is WC mostly based on a stutter step, a circular step, or some other kind of footwork?

When I am stepping off of the opponents line of attack, should I step directly to the side, or slightly forward and to the side? Any advice on WC movement would be greatly appreciated.

--Grifter

monji112000

Green Belt
Reaction score
This depends on who you ask.

I can't say what other schools do, so I will just mention how “we” train.

The foot work is based on the horse. “variations” exist on the horse that “extends its react and power”.

For example turning your horse, Using what we call “triangle” footwork , Side-stepping forward or backward. These are the basic “footwork”, they all use the horse and proper mechanic.

Again from my perspective, how you side step depends on many things. Forexample : How fast he is attacking, how he is attacking (straight or circle attack), if you are prepare or if you are off guard, how far you are away from the person ect..

As a example if someone were to simple throw a hook. If you are not surprised, then you could cover with a tan sao, and punch straight. The footwork could be turn and stepping forward. At a 45 degree angle, which is “off center”. After that you could cover again and follow up.

OR
many other things..

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I am stepping off of the opponents line of attack, should I step directly to the side, or slightly forward and to the side? Any advice on WC movement would be greatly appreciated.

--Grifter

In my classes (Shaolin, not Wing Chun) stepping slightly foreward is prefered over directly sideways as to make the initial retaliating blow slightly harder.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
From my (limited) understanding of Wing Chun, stance is the key to power and maintaining good structure. One of my biggest problems as a beginning student is mastering the WC footwork. Does anyone have any advice on how to move? Is WC mostly based on a stutter step, a circular step, or some other kind of footwork?

Just practice lots, use a full length mirror in order to see yourself, look at how others move, quiz your sifu. You are ideally aiming to get a fast, fluid, relaxed and natural movement. It just takes lots of practice, the answer i have given is rather vaugue as the question wasn't really that specific. If you have a particular point of stepping you find hard or are not grasping and your sifu can't help then post it and i'm sure people will do their best to help.

--Grifter
the short answer is yes. generally your movement will be be somewhat dependant on the nature of your opponents attack. Stepping to the side is valid as is stepping forward and to the side. If an opponent enters very deeply then stepping to the side may be the better option to keep in close proximity to your opponent. This is just a general point and there is a lot more to wing chun stepping, i'm sure you'll appreciate that.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's always safest to move in. Attack the attack is better than being on the defense; however, stepping back or away is safer if you have to pass a kill zone to get in.
Sean

OP
G

grifter

White Belt
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
Just practice lots, use a full length mirror in order to see yourself, look at how others move, quiz your sifu.

Good advice, I will definately do this.

monji112000 said:
For example turning your horse, Using what we call “triangle” footwork , Side-stepping forward or backward. These are the basic “footwork”, they all use the horse and proper mechanic.

Monji, it it's possible, could you describe this drill? For example, do you begin in a basic horse, move the left-foot left a half step, and then move the right-foot left a half step? Or do you move the right-foot left (leaving both feet together) and then move the left-foot? Or do you only practice forward and backward movement? Or do I have this whole idea of triangle footwork completely wrong?

Thanks for all your comments.

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Footwork is very very important, as my Sifu always says "What wins the fight? Footwork!" Even if your hands get good and fast, if your footwork isnt solid, you will end up relying on purely physical strength and negate proper positioning and angles of attack. As for movement, here are some tips to retain proper structure and balance:

1. Feet match hands, knees match elbows, hips match shoulders. Always make sure to square your hips with your shoulders.

2. Relax your entire body and sink into the earth. Keep your knees bent at all times. Whenever you step to turn, press your center into the heel of your foot.

3. always press the heel more than the tip. Your foot should feel like a suction cup stuck on the floor, never shifting on your toes.

4. keep the back and neck straight and vertical, except you should shoot your hips forward and lean back ever so slightly. never EVER bend over at the waist unless youre doing some kind of throw or something like that.

5. knees should point with toes. elbows lowered and point into target.

Thats just a few for now. Make sure to always keep all of these points all the time. Try to incorporate them into every movement of your day...hope this helps!

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score

--Grifter

Its not so much the structure of the step that you are using, it is whether or not you are mainintaing the SLT Energy whilst in motion, this is the purpose of the chum kui, first you develop the appropriate Energy (rooting) through the SLT you then learn how to maintain that same energy in motion.

Latest Discussions