Step on the foot

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He's got reach on you; good thing you blocked
I was in no danger. In the video he was trying to find an open in my defense as he was focused on trying to take me down. He was trying to bait me into doing something stupid and I was trying to draw him in. Had he actually tried to punch me, I would have simply kicked him under his punch with either a side kick, front snap kick with the ball of my foot, or a front heel kick. He was already wise to that tactic because I used it on some of the other people that were there.

My only real danger was a stance that low leaves that front leg open a leg sweep if he changes into a closed stance.

We looked more like a chess match than a sparring match. It's still good reference video because you can see us both trying think it out and outsmart the other person. Here's a clip that I think you'll like. My sparring partner stepped on my foot 5 times within a minute so I decided to return the favor and I stepped on his.
When stepping on the foot works example
You can see me try to use the same looping punch that you see in the picture. The only difference is that I get popped in the mouth because I was too high in my stance and lazy with the redirect. The good news is that you can see him try to move but he's totally stuck on the ground.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's very kung fu of you. I like that technique better than stepping on the foot as well, because it has a much bigger reward if you complete the other half of that technique and get it right.
To jam your leading leg on your opponent's leading leg to prevent him from kicking/kneeing is always the 1st step of any "safe entry". It's almost look like a low roundhouse kick except you sweep at the inside of your opponent's leading leg below his knee.

You can

- bite his shin,
- scoop his foot,
- sticky lift his foot, or
- sweep his leg.

There are many possibilities.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To jam your leading leg on your opponent's leading leg to prevent him from kicking/kneeing is always the 1st step of any "safe entry". It's almost look like a low roundhouse kick except you sweep at the inside of your opponent's leading leg below his knee.

You can

- bite his shin,
- scoop his foot,
- sticky lift his foot, or
- sweep his leg.

There are many possibilities.
Yep. I do all of those and they work really well. Most people don't pay attention to their legs so those techniques are low risk - high reward techniques. There are tons of videos on youtube of people fighting and never attacking the legs. It's truly a wasted opportunity, but then again I guess that would require that they learn martial arts. Correction: That would require that the person learns a martial arts and actually train the technique.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stepping on the foot is a great set up for a tachi waza.

Latest Discussions