statistics

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok my school is doing a self defense for woman, and i got the job to make the flyer does any one know where I would find or maybe u may even know what statistics are for people being raped and robbed in the us ?

thanks

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
thanks that will work but i am looking for some thing that shows like 1 in 4 or what ever it be gets robbed or rapped every hr some thing like that to put on the flyer

Epson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am just wondering.
Realistically, how is self defence for women different from self defence for men?

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just do the math from the statistics you've been given.

There are 300,000,000 people in the us, so about 150,00,000 women. There are 365 days in most years, 24 hours in each day, etc.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Epson said:
I am just wondering.
Realistically, how is self defence for women different from self defence for men?
I don't deal specifically in this area, so take what I say w/ a bit of a grain of salt, but a few things jump out.

1) I would say more women would be prone to rape or other forms of sexual assault. Assaults in this way may take a different form from attacking someone to get their wallet or just beat someone up.

2) women tend to be smaller and/or weaker than men (on average!). As a result, certain techniques might not be practical. Certain throws or strikes from a 100 lb woman applied against a 250+ lb man might not be too effective. Learning how to cripple effectively should be essential. Understanding what would work against a much larger opponent should be key.

3) a certain type of awareness probably needs to be practiced. Don't go in certain places at certain times. understand thats it ok to make a U-turn if you need to. (please correct me, I'm just guessing on this one). Personally, I hardly ever think about this except for extemes, but I imagine it can be important.

MrH

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
85% of women well be stocked, does that help??? Slightly of subject, but "Self Defense Nerve Centers & Pressure Points For Karate, JuJitsu, & Atemi-Waza" by Bruce Tegner is a good read that’s on the subject of self-defense. Personally I think that Mr. Tegner is a little to into self-defense, but that’s my thought. Ohh and apparently about 1 in 3 women ages 13 to 25 will be sexually assaulted, if it helps. And on a legal note. If you hit some one when their hand is were it aught not be, not self defense. By definition, it's only self defense if your protecting life or limb of your self or another human (unfortunately, if you beat the evil -blank- trying to saw down a forest of endangered trees, will get you thrown in jail [joke, but it is true]). So make sure that you let your students know that, or they might end up having to deal with law. But, your class, your school, just my thoughts.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
coungnhuka said:
And on a legal note. If you hit some one when their hand is were it aught not be, not self defense. By definition, it's only self defense if your protecting life or limb of your self or another human (unfortunately, if you beat the evil -blank- trying to saw down a forest of endangered trees, will get you thrown in jail [joke, but it is true]). So make sure that you let your students know that, or they might end up having to deal with law. But, your class, your school, just my thoughts.
John
Uh, sir? It's called sexual assault and a person has the RIGHT to respond appropriately, with reasonable force, to such a CRIMINAL ACTION. When I was in high school I had a girlfriend groped on the bus (while disembarking) by a 50+ year old man. Finally, after trying to get away, not easy when they're behind you and a line is in front of you blocking the aisle, when she got near the front she had enough and pivoted and hit him in the solar plexus with her black belt level Shotokan Karate reverse punch. She then hopped off the bus and got clear of him while he was gasping for breath. When it was over, the police were looking for HIM on assault charges, not her. Now gouging out his eyes may have been considered EXCESSIVE FORCE and been prosecutable, but no "hitting" him to end the assualt.

I'm sure many of the MT ladies have had unfortunate experiences of this nature. Hope they were able to do the same thing!!!

Regarding Bruce Tegner concentrating "too much" on self-defence; well, he WAS a self-defence instructor. That's probably why...

Regarding the question at hand, TallAdam85, see if you can look through a copy of "The Gift of Fear", "Strong on Defense" or some other assault prevention book at the library or bookstore. The authors have probably, IIRC, broken down the statistics in a way that will serve your purpose.

F

first123class

If that reverse punch lacked power, or would have hit a protected target, than the guy would get more pissed. And the element of surprise is lost.
Should not she have to keep going?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
first123class said:
If that reverse punch lacked power, or would have hit a protected target, than the guy would get more pissed. And the element of surprise is lost.
Should not she have to keep going?
She could not have kept going quickly, as she described it, because there were people ahead of her. Also, this was nearly 25 years ago and before RBSD and the UFC and most folks, martial artists included, thought that a black belt was somewhat of a magic wand - you connect, the bad guy goes down. We're a lot less naive now.

To avoid a total thread drift here, another idea for TallAdam85 to do is search self-defence sites, such as http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/rape.html, Marc "animal" MacYoung's site. Just make sure to credit him or any others properly in any of your flyers for any statistics or quotes cited.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
TallAdam85 said:
Ok my school is doing a self defense for woman, and i got the job to make the flyer does any one know where I would find or maybe u may even know what statistics are for people being raped and robbed in the us ?

thanks

The State or Local Police might be able to provide you with some info. if you were not able to find anything up to date online.

Mike

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
My apologizes Mr. Randall. I am not personally aware of how the law operates every were, I said that only form a little too much experience with the bullies at my school and the staff. A few weeks ago some weird dude grabbed my butt, I turned around and hit him (not sure why I did, just kinda reacted on instinct I suppose). I told one of the vice principles, and he said that if I got the gentle man in trouble, he'd be expelled, and allowed back in the middle of January, and be on probation for a few months. Me? I’d be expelled for the rest of the year, and be on probation for probably the rest of the year, and most of the next one. The stupid thing is, he is still acting like he's going to put his hands were they should not be, offer me money so he could (apparently, i'm a male prostitute), and say he's going to kill me when I complainer. So why don't I just tell the school next time he does? I asked the vice principal, if I do they will be "forced" into punishing me for my temporary insanity, and no matter how many times he has tried to make me in to his, well sex slave would be some what appropriate. I’d also have to prove it. Thing is this gentle man (by the way I don't even know his name) is a school athlete, so his story is worth about 5 times mine, and he has several, also athletes, who are witnesses. And that no matter how much he had grouped me, they would still kick me out and so forth.

And on Mr. Tegners book. I meant no disrespect to him, any self-defense instructors, or any one. And you have to remember, if I didn't think it was a good book, I wouldn't have recommended it. Merely that the name implied (at least to me) that it would be more on generalized tactics that could be employed, and got more for what I call ideal worst case scenario. Ideal in that it's probably on of the best places to be in a fight. That is on your feet, facing each other, almost trading blows. And worst case in that, well it is a fight. But i'm probably just making excuses for myself. Any ways, i'm done now, and if you would like, I’ll remove that comment on Mr. Tegner.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TallAdam85 said:

thanks
that part is easy
thank you google
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=assault+statistics&btnG=Search
2 years ago some students contacted a number of people who were assaulted from both sexes, and they got them to draw what is going on on their minds on T-shirts
they just hung the t-shirts with some stats on campus for a week, and they call it assault awareness week or something along those lines. and YOU BET MA classes were full of girls that quarter!
they even joined dancing classes, bottom line EVERYBODY naturall headed to the school's gym!
that's good approach. scare the people so you can control their minds, and then offer your commoditiy. works!

Latest Discussions