Using Students for your own training

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Who in here uses their students to foster their own training? The reason I ask is that I am training on my own and am finding a serious lack of motovation. I was thinking of posting a flyer at a local community center to find somebody to train/train with. The problem is I don't want any illusions on the part of the prospective student. Sure I'll teach them but what I really want them for is to work my stuff. I wonder how I approach this and not look like I just want to kick the @#$% out of somebody? It's not like I'd make any money....heck I probably wouldn't even charge the person.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rob

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, if I were you I would look for someone that has had some experience. Not just someone off the street. I am sure there are a number of people in your area that have had some type of experience in some sort of art. And it would be good to exchange ideas also.

I would word my ad, or poster like this.

Looking for a training partner who has had past experience in Martial Arts. Looking for someone who can help keep me motivated. Those that are interested in learning and have not had any experience please feel free to call at 1-234-5678, and leave a message.

Of course don't exclude the people that have not trained before, there may be that one individual out there that is just an incredible martial artist, he/she just doesn't know it.

Just a thought.

Michael

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
just be honest with them up front. I teach privately, and all my students know coming in that they are guinea pigs to some degree.....
:rolleyes:
But honestly, they know I will not be reckless, or chance hurting them stupidly, they know I will push them, and they know I share as I learn.
Chad

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The problem with having just one training partner.
1. If he gets hurt you are back to square one. (no Partner)
2. Everyone moves and reacts differently. If you have just one partner you may get use to his moves and reactions.
3. Having different partners, you could work on different aspect of your game. You may find one guy would likes to grapple, another who like to work weapons, etc. Also may find guys who train in different arts boxing ,kickboxing, grappling, weapons, who can push you and maybe show you some different stuff.
Bob
:D

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think all good instructors use their students to help better themselves in some way or another. The simple act of teaching reinforces the knowledge of the material they cover.

Cthulhu

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu

I think all good instructors use their students to help better themselves in some way or another. The simple act of teaching reinforces the knowledge of the material they cover.

Cthulhu

This is true in my opinion anyways. I found the more I teach the more I learn. You get some questions and different persepctives on things you can't help but learn something (unless you refuse to).

:asian:

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think the learning by teaching thing holds true for everything, not just MA. In order to be able to teach someone, you need to have a good understanding of the material yourself first. Then you have to figure out how to pass that knowledge along. This often requires using different methods in order to reach the students who learn in different ways. Some may learn great by listening to a lecture, but others need to see some demonstrations, while others may need to get some hands-on, do it yourself experience to really get the concept. Preparing for all of that helps you learn your material better, too. Plus as noted, you can get questions that you hadn't considered before or different viewpoints that will help you see something you didn't before. Just because you're teaching something doesn't mean you have nothing left to learn about it. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember when my Goju isntructor told me that I was now advanced enough (brown belt) taht he wanted me to critique him if I saw him doing something wrong (most notably in the kata) to help keep him sharp. It was a thrill for me to be so trusted. I actually did point something out to him once.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Okinawa-te instructor always told me that if you can't teach something, then you don't really know it.

Cthulhu

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu

My Okinawa-te instructor always told me that if you can't teach something, then you don't really know it.

Agreed.

Scientists have a saying: Anyone who can't explain what he or she does to a 10 year old is a fraud.

Latest Discussions