What is the "best" martial art, pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
...for a woman at any stage of their life, I would highly recommend a self-defense class, period. A self-defense class will open your eyes on "situational awareness". Walking to your car at night, going home, leaving the grocery store- Take a class or two(most are free through county), and you will know what to look out for. The F.B.I. statistics for woman assaults are usually sexual in content and they are aggressive,

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I started agreeing with you until you said a class or two. One or two classes is not enough to engrain movements, situational awareness, or even basic concepts. They'll remember it for a week or two then go on with life as always. And that week or two I'd assuming they have a good SD instructor..if it's bad then it's 100% pointless IMO

OP
D

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I started agreeing with you until you said a class or two. One or two classes is not enough to engrain movements, situational awareness, or even basic concepts. They'll remember it for a week or two then go on with life as always. And that week or two I'd assuming they have a good SD instructor..if it's bad then it's 100% pointless IMO

OP
D

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At least I mentioned it, did you?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Doing something is better than nothing.
Not necessarily. Telling them that all they need is one or two classes may convince someone who otherwise would be willing to go for a couple months or more that they should only go twice. Essentially your advice has a couple ways of being received, in order of what I feel is the most likely.
1: They ignore it, and don't go. Nothing was gained.
2: They follow it and decide they may as well go to one or two class. Basically nothing was gained.
3: They were planning on going, and now feel like they don't need to go as long. A lot was lost.
4: They follow your advice, then decide they like it and ignore your advice, continuing to go anyway. A lot was gained.

If you notice, the only good one came at the very end, is much less likely to happen than the other three results, and requires the person to ignore your advice.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I mentioned it, you didn't.
Actually, I have. Multiple times, both in real life and on this site. I don't mind your accusations, but they are blatantly wrong, and you appear to be using this site just to spout your own unsolicited ideas about random topics. It might be more worth it to start a blog.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Doing something is better than nothing.
I disagree if you do nothing the woman will have her own natural instincts and may react spontaneously but if she does 1 self defence class she'll believe she can handle herself against anything. All these adverts that say 2 week martial arts self defence courses are bs and are frankly dangerous giving people false sense of security. I don't know if you train but do you really think you could've defended yourself against anyone after 2 weeks of training of course not

OP
D

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One or two good classes beats no class.

OP
D

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

OP
D

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A kenpo disciple? So less less than 2 self-defense classes, in your weird mind, is meaningless?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Really? Are you smoking crack?

This is supposed to be a "friendly" martial arts forum. Most of us try to treat others with courtesy even when we choose to disagree. If you can't discuss an issue with some basic level of courtesy and respect, please go someplace else where you will fit in better. We'll all be happier! ;)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One or two good classes beats no class.

So in you're opinion, if they don't take more than two classes, they don't know anything? Are you high, dude?

Wait... did you really just quote your own post and hurl an insult at yourself?

smiley-laughing-and-pointing%255B1%255D.png

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A kenpo disciple? So less less than 2 self-defense classes, in your weird mind, is meaningless?
Kempo actually, although I do practice kenpo as well so you're not fully wrong.
And no, it is not meaningless to do less than 2 (aka 1) SD class, it is harmful as it night give them false confidence.
And no I don't smoke crack.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What a strange thread.
Props for the world's largest smiley-thing, though.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin's Note:

Thread closed. Please put all responses in the original thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions