Starting to freak out

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oh man, as the title says, I am ***officially*** starting to freak out. I have the privilege of testing for 1st Dan on Saturday June 10th. Now I know in my heart I know the material, but I am having serious doubts that I can perform the techniques at Black Belt level. I am nervous and excited at the same time, I want to perform well as sort of a "tribute" to my instructor who has given so much to us, that is very important to me.

I know I just need to relax and trust in myself and my training and go out there and have fun...it is just convincing myself to do that that is so hard!!! I know a lot of you guys and gals know what I am going through and what I am about to go through so any "last minute words of wisdom" are most humbly appreciated!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD Jen con't woory you will be fine and you'll pass with flying colors, if you know you know the material, guuess what so does your instructor.
Nreath in the good and breath out the bad, another words give yourself a break!!!
I know in my heart you will do fine, be the warrior!!
Master Stoker

OP
tkd_jen

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
other words give yourself a break!!!

Oh no Master Stoker, have you been talking to my instructors!! I hear that phrase at least once a week!! You think it would have soaked in by now!! :eek:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last minute words of wisdom... hmmm...

Well, first, I would be considerably more worried about your performance (not that I am worried) if you were not nervous - you're supposed to be nervous; passing is by no means assured at BB, especially when compared to lower ranks.

Next, I would have to say that, despite your nerves, you need to do the best you can to relax in the next few days - you don't want to get to your testing exhausted from nervous activity and/or lack of sleep. Eat well, take some time off from training to do something calming, and get plenty of sleep.

Third, you need to be sure you eat a sustaining meal the night before testing - I tend to lose my appetite in the morning (late day testings are really bad for me - I'd much rather test in the morning and not have the whole day to fret), although if you possibly can, you need to eat breakfast. Stick with bland foods if there's any chance you'll have an upset stomach - something high in carbs and protein; maybe whole grain cereal and cheese or scrambled eggs? And drink plenty of water (or sports drinks, if that's what you prefer) - but no alcohol the last several days (if not starting now) - it's dehydrating and can cause sleep problems.

Finally, remember that your instructor is expressing his faith in you by letting you test. I don't know about your organization, but in mine, testing is the chance to stand in front of a testing board and demonstrate that you are the next rank. You need to keep that thought in mind - that you are demonstrating that you are a black belt, not asking if you're going to be allowed to become one. This is a purely mental thing, and that's what separates a black belt from a colored belt - the ability to control one's mind and actions.

Good luck to you, and, in the show biz sense, break a leg!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkd_jen said:
Oh no Master Stoker, have you been talking to my instructors!! I hear that phrase at least once a week!! You think it would have soaked in by now!! :eek:

No I have not had the pleasure of meeting your instructor I think but who knows anymore, but one thing is for sure we go not test except we are sure about our students!!!
icon14.gif

Master Stoker:asian:

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
tkd_jen said:
Oh man, as the title says, I am ***officially*** starting to freak out. I have the privilege of testing for 1st Dan on Saturday June 10th. Now I know in my heart I know the material, but I am having serious doubts that I can perform the techniques at Black Belt level. I am nervous and excited at the same time, I want to perform well as sort of a "tribute" to my instructor who has given so much to us, that is very important to me.
All I can say is that my BB testing was a great experience. Don't make more of it than you need too. Try to enjoy the moment and show 'em what you can do.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
tkd_jen said:

I know I just need to relax and trust in myself and my training and go out there and have fun...it is just convincing myself to do that that is so hard!!! I know a lot of you guys and gals know what I am going through and what I am about to go through so any "last minute words of wisdom" are most humbly appreciated!

Best of luck to you!!:asian:

I'm sure you've heard this a hundred times already, and I know its easier said than done, but don't let it stress you out too much. I would think that if your inst. is suggesting you test for BB, that he feels you're more than ready to test!

Keep preparing for this day. Make sure that you don't over do it though. Get lots of rest, eat good and give it 110% on June 10th!!

Please let us know the details!:supcool:

Mike

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkd_jen said:
Now I know in my heart I know the material, but I am having serious doubts that I can perform the techniques at Black Belt level.

So...you're an underbelt who knows what a black belt level is? Seriously, it requires less perfection than you might think...else most of us bums would never have made it.

Show your best. Then relax. Good luck!

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My experience was always that the test wasn't really a test of what you know. You're instructor already knows what you know, and if they are telling you it's time to test, they know you know what you need too :)

The test is more a test of how you do it under pressure, how hard you'll push yourself on that day.

Relax, don't worry about the material (you know it) and go in guns blazing ( and if your instructors like those marathon push you till you feel like dieing tests, make sure you have lots of water and little nacho's in your body :D )

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's what you need to know:

1. It's VERY likely they are already prepared to pass you provided you do two things: show up and don't quit.

2. You have already been testing for your blackbelt. Your test this weekend is just a formality.

3. When you think you can't move anymore and they're asking you to - do just one more. Remember your mind and your heart will keep you going farther than your body can.

4. Hydrate yourself in advance and maintain hydration throughout the test if you're so allowed.

5. Relax and rely on your training.

GOOD TESTING, SOON-TO-BE-JKN!!!! :partyon:

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And when you do your forms, just imagine that you're in a room practicing by yourself-

You'll do just fine!:ultracool

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Similar to what has been said . . . you already are performing at the level of a Black Belt, or you would not be allowed to test. A little trepidation is normal, but in order to keep it in check, understand this - - Black Belts are not perfect. They make mistakes, and you are going to make mistakes, and that is expected by any judge. You are not being tested so much on how well you perform, but on how well you continue to perform under stress, difficult situations, and when you make mistakes. How well do you recover from a mistake and continue without hesitation? This is the key.

If you show confidence, and the willingness to never quit, even if you make mistakes, then passing the test will be easy, even if the test itself is hard. After all, the test does not last all that long. You will blink your eyes, and it will be over. If you are still standing (and you will be) you will most likely pass, and be proud of the memory it holds for years to come.

Show lots of respect to everyone (especially the judges), show good manners, confidence, and don't quit!

Relax! You will do well!
Chief Master D. J. Eisenhart

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck (not that you will need it). Your instructor already sees the qualities of a blackbelt in you. Just keep a positive mind and remember never stop if you forget or mess up. Just keep moving!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really don't have any words of wisdom other than what has been said already. Some freakage (yeah, that's a word now) is quite normal. I totally agree with Kacey's breakfast thoughts. That & the water are gonna come in really handy!

Jen, you've worked hard to prepare to get to this point. Focus & show em what ya got. Everyone in the room wants you to do well. And we're all in your corner here, too.:ultracool

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's nothing I can really add besides what's already been said numerous times, so I'll just add that they're looking for confidece, not perfection. Go in with the attitude they're not going to give it to you, but that you're going to take it because it's yours.

You will remember this day. Enjoy it!

Go get 'em!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a similiar choke spot I had once in Marine bootcamp. See, if you don't qualify on the rifle range then you either get sent back or home. I didn't want to do either, not everyone got to shoot on qual day either. I mean the D.I.'s already knew who would pass and would not.

Every belt test I have had in Judo, Hapkido and Tae Kwon Do has come with the same mentality as stated before by others. Be courtesy to all, make no exception, do your best, don't quit no matter what, and lastly show why you are there.

There is nothing in life guaranteed, prove it is yours and it will be.

You will do great

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkd_jen said:
Great advice so far everyone. I knew I could count on you guys!!
Good luck and you'll be fine. A test is just like a class but with more people watching you. You've already passed or your instructor wouldn't put you through that.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does it help knowing I might not be there to smack you around? If I can't make it up next weekend, best of luck to you and the rest. Keep kickin' Jen!

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I remember the time leading up to my 1st dan test I was training so extremely hard and I was so motivated. I wanted it so bad that I kept pushing and pushing myself to get everything right. I was in such good shape too for that 1st dan test.

When the test began, yeah I was nervous and had butterflies, but then everything I had trained for just kicked in and I was on autopilot. I just reacted naturally because I had spent so much preparing. It's just like in regular school, if you prepare well, then you'll do well. tkd_jen if you're ready to go, then you'll be fine and you'll do well at your BB testing. Count on it, good luck.

Latest Discussions