Nice spin kick.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
It certainly was. It seems that someone should have been more mindful of blocking and not so much jumping up and down.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Both participants ended up on the ground after that... ;)

Anyway, good solid kick.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
Keeping the hands up could have avoided the whole thing. A real pitty.
No way. That kick would've gone right through an attempted block. Not too familiar with wtf style sparring eh?

2 observations.
1. The kicker (Red) was telegraphing a back kick and the attacker (Blue) never picked up on it. Moving counter clockwise and/or a feint would have tipped the kickers hand. The kicker did a very smart thing though. When you throw such a kick, by falling down afterwards protects you from a counter kick in case you miss. (Can't kick someone on the ground).
2. The attacher (Blue) was bouncing in an extremely predictable manner. When he finally went to make his move, notice how much lower he bends his legs to lunge himself. That's all the kicker was looking for.

Well executed kick though. :)

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
No way. That kick would've gone right through an attempted block. Not too familiar with wtf style sparring eh?

2 observations.
1. The kicker (Red) was telegraphing a back kick and the attacker (Blue) never picked up on it. Moving counter clockwise and/or a feint would have tipped the kickers hand. The kicker did a very smart thing though. When you throw such a kick, by falling down afterwards protects you from a counter kick in case you miss. (Can't kick someone on the ground).
2. The attacher (Blue) was bouncing in an extremely predictable manner. When he finally went to make his move, notice how much lower he bends his legs to lunge himself. That's all the kicker was looking for.

Well executed kick though. :)
I have never sparred before.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice kick, although a bit out of control, the excessive contact is allowed in Adult Kyorugi Rules. However, the kick should not have scored a point according to Olympic rules due to the fall.

This tournament looked like it might have been a state championship to qualify for nationals. In the ring, you see the two contestants, the back of a corner judge (opposite judge chair is empty), and the referee. I have been in each of these positions (contestant, judge, and referee) for state championships, and a judge, referee, and coach for National Events.

Gemini said:
This is probably true. A "block" or guards up would not likely have done much, but the use of arms extended might have covered the kick, and kept it away from the head. This kick shows the power of a well executed Taekwondo kick - - fast, unpredictable, easily reaches the head, and results in a knock out, even through the protective headgear. My guess is this was a slap with bottom of the foot. A heel kick with no headgear could be even more deadly.

The bouncing is very common as it is designed to hide any telegraphing. "Chung" (blue fighter) did not seem to know how to do this, and still exploded with a noticable forward movement. Leading with a front leg push kick to the mid-section might have set the red fighter off balance enough to follow up, but Chung led with his face - oops! :whip:

Gemini said:
The kicker did a very smart thing though. When you throw such a kick, by falling down afterwards protects you from a counter kick in case you miss. (Can't kick someone on the ground).
This might be considered a smart move, but if the referee determines that it is an intentional ploy, it is illegal by WTF and USAT Olympic rules, and a good referee would have invalidated the point (no corner judges allowed to record a point), and penalized the attacker.

Olympic Rules:
"Article 12. Valid Points
- Section 5. Invalidation of Points: When a contestant performs an attack to score through the use of the prohibited acts, and the point(s) scored shall be annulled."

"Article 14. Prohibited Acts
- Section 5. Prohibited Acts
- - 1) c. Falling Down"

It is genearlly taught to judges and referees that if a contestant places their hands on the ground to assist during a kick, falls during the performance of a kick, or "intentionally" falls immediately following a kick, the point is invalid, and a penalty should be assessed. This will, of course, be at the discretion of the center referee.

If this match ended as the result of a knock out, then a minor "kyung-go" penalty would have no effect on the result. A Gamjeom (full point deduction) on the other hand would cause the kicker to lose, but that does not seem to be the case here. "Hong" (the red fighter) might not have gained a point from this kick, and might have been penalized for falling, but could have won the match by KO.

CM D. J. Eisenhart

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, quite right. I stand corrected. :asian:

However, if it was determined that the falling down was unintentional, (which you'd never convince me of) then it would've counted as 3 points. 2 for the head shot and 1 for the knock down, correct?

Though yes, the KO making it a moot point anywho.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rules, validation and invalidation aside, I can't help but hear in the back of my head as the center judge walks over to blue

"You got knocked the **** OUT!! "

I miss smokey. He's in rehab now, and the way he was smokin' he'll be in there for a long time.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All those rules have to be considered afterwards??

Great kick!! KO!!

*Another one bites da dust!!*

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:

However, if it was determined that the falling down was unintentional, (which you'd never convince me of) then it would've counted as 3 points. 2 for the head shot and 1 for the knock down, correct?

If I was refereeing and it hadn't been a knock out I'd look for the headshoot being scored (2 points) and then award the knock down point and then I'd have probably given the kyungo for falling down.

Based on what I saw in the video I would yelled for the medic before hit the floor, taken a breath and then declared a KO without counting and then made sure medical was there.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:

Yes, current WTF/USAT rules are two for the head, and one for the knock down - total 3 points, but the KO does eliminate the need to count points. I don't know what the current "school of thought" is with the USA Taekwondo rules as far as intentionality of falling in connection with a kick. Under USTU, we would have invalidated the point if the fall was associated with the kick (intentional or not) simply because a kick should be executed while remaining standing (rules of fair play). If the fall came seconds after the kick, then intentionality would be an issue, but it would not invalidate the point if they were not directly connected - tough call.

The first move of a referee in this case would be to call "Kalyeo" (split) and keep the standing contestant, coaches, and others away from the fallen contestant. The referee would then immediately begin the ten count. If there was concern for the contestant's health and safety, a doctor could be called without using the ten count, or while the ten count continues. The knock-out victory could be declared at the end of a ten count, or at the referee's discretion, before the completion of the ten count. However, if a contestant recovers before the count of eight, the referee MUST continue counting to eight before resuming the match.

Just a few more tidbits for the beginner referees out there.
CM D. J. Eisenhart

Latest Discussions