First Competition Next Week. Freaking out.

bugatabugata

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

I'd really appreciate, if you all could talk some sense into me. I'm going to my first tournament a week from tomorrow and the closer it gets, the more freaked out I'm getting.

I'm not all that worried about getting hurt (if my limited past experience has taught me anything, it's that I can take an ***-kicking like a champ, if nothing else) -- I'm more worried about embarrassing the crap out of myself and the Sabum. Oh, and did I mention that I opened my big mouth and now a whole bunch of people have expressed an interest in coming? My whole family will be there and quite a few friends, so if I go down, it will be in front of a large audience. AND my whole dojang will be there, competing in forms, but only me and this other guy (who happens to be really good) are fighting, so everyone will likely be poking around and watching us after they're done. :barf:

AND I've fought a grand total of one other blue belt, who looked to be about twelve years old, so I don't even have a good baseline of how I might do.

Rationally, I know that this shouldn't be that big of a deal -- it's not like my livelihood depends on it, or anything like that. I'm a grown-*** adult with a job and a life, but this thing is getting me completely discombobulated. The Master told me "I never take somebody to competition, unless I think they'll win," which I think was supposed to make me feel better, but it's actually having the exact opposite effect.

I'm worried that if I keep obsessing and freaking out, I'll likely ruin whatever chances I have of not sucking the day-of (or, at least sucking marginally less.)

Those of you that have experience with tournaments -- do you have any advice on what I can do to chill the hell out about this? What do you do before competing to calm your nerves?

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
what you are experiencing is very normal. almost every fighter or competitor in anything experiences this same feeling you are now.

everyone has to find what works for them. First thing i would try to do if I was you is forget about embarraasing yourself or yourschool. That is way too much UN NEEDED pressure. You prove your self to your instructor and your classmates everyday in class. let that go. This is about you. Many will disagree, but I focus(ed) on going out and having fun and doing the best I could. When i learned to let the unnecesary crap go, it was much easier to focus on doing my best.

Since this is your first one, I highly recommend that rather than focusing on Winning, you focus on gaining experience. No class can prepair you for actually stepping into the ring. You are going to experience some crazy feelings. I would ask that you go into it with a positive attitude, not focused on winning but focused on gaining ring experience. you have plenty of time to focus on winning in the future. but if you dont conquer your fears and learn to control the self pressure you are putting on you, it wont get easier, only more frustrating.

the day of, bring your ipod with your favorite music. just chill out and listen to your music and relax. Dont start warming up too soon or burn yourself out early. you will find that no matter your conditioning, your nerves and fears will drain you quickly. nothing like entering the ring exhausted from too hard of a warmup and your heartrate and adrenaline eating up energy.

The day before and the day of, eat normally as if you do before any class. You dont want to eat heavy, or eat different than normal. your nerves will have your stomach jacked up so a change in diet the day of, probably wont go over well. You have ime to work up to competition diets, just not your first 1 I'd say. bring a snack you would normaly eat. bring water. concentrate on breathing and relaxing while listening to yur fav jams. and dont forget to think when you get in the ring. People go robotic or draw a blank. Try to stay focused on what they are doing and how you train. DO NOT look at the score board or your friends and family durig the match. these are just more distractions during the match. most important thing. have fun.

good luck and please check back with results, not of win or loose, but with yourself,

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you define "winning?"

For my students -- it's not bringing home a trophy or medal. There's way too much involved in who wins that's beyond control.

It's not "did they represent me/the club well?" They do that when they step out and do their best.

Very simply: Did they do what they'd been taught -- or something different? If they did their lessons under the pressure of the tournament, they "won." If they brought home a medal or trophy, too, that's nice.

So don't worry about all the rest of the crap. Go out there, do what you've been training and practicing.

And have fun!

ShudoMom

White Belt
Reaction score
Reading your post made me smile, and reminisce back to my first tournament. It was only 2 yrs ago, so i can relate to how you're feeling. First, you're right, this tournament isn't the end of the world if you mess up, or don't place. Your instructor will understand, and would probably admit to having his own experiences of "messing up" if you ask him. You're going for the experience, to meet other martial artists, and hopefully, bring home some medals! ;-)

Now, get an attitude. Try to portray confidence, even if you don't feel it. But you don't want to be cocky.You'll want to meet those who are also attending. You may see these same MA at future tourneys, and it's an opportunity to meet new friends. Even if you don't feel it, be confident.

Be prepared the night before. Have your gear packed and ready to go so you're not scrambling around the morning of your tourney.

Go early. You can get a feel for how the rings are set up, and have time to warm up, and practice.

Have fun! It's YOUR experience! Once you're in the ring, you won't be worried about who is there watching you in the audience. It's all about you, and showing the judges that you deserve first place! :)

I just had a tourney last weekend. They are so much fun!!

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tournaments are very much an important part of training that i think everyone should do at least 1. The place and ungodly amountof pressure and discomfort on you and forces to to try and perform. If you pay attention, you can learn alot about yourself from competing.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
First and foremost - Just do your best!! If you can walk away, knowing that you did your best - you won.

Try to learn all you can and when you're not warming up, watch other competitors - all levels of experience
will be there, so remember - you're probably not the only first timer there!:)

No matter who's there to watch - you're the one with the courage to actually get in there and do it - and that says a lot!!

Good LUCK!!!:)

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Chill out, pick a song, and use it to visualize yourself winning. Before your match, do the same thing and listen to the same song ringside. Then step in and fight.

Also, in class do some complete tournament stuff. Walk in to spar exactly how you will in your tournament fights to normalize the situation. Pick the warm up and cool down you will use on tournament day, and get used to it. Anything to help make the situation seem less extraordinary and more normal.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tell all the people I take to tournaments (kids and adults) the same thing. I say look at your belt. Then I say look in the mirror. You will be fighting someone with the same belt, the same gender, and the same skill level. You will be fighting yourself. No worse, no better. Not much I say will help for the first time but afterwards I remind them of what I said and they smile or laugh and from there on they are OK. The first on is always the worst, but just remember you will be fighting someone just like you, no worse, no better.

Best wishes and kick some butt.

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ah the competition jitters. Love them. I've myself get them everytime and I'm a 2nd Dan. If your going into weapons competition just do one thing make sure you hold onto the weapon and don't throw it. LOL I did that the last competition I was at with the Bo Staff towards the end of the form and went sailing about 5 ft to my right bout hitting a spectator with a camera. Oh and this was in front of my students as well and they haven't let this one down. So just be your self and go out there and have fun. You make a mistake just go one and persevere through it.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand you getting the jitters, especially your first one :) You are putting way too much pressure on yourself though.

The purpose of fighting in a tournament is to experience people you have not fought and to see how you do under pressure. It is just another skill check. Try to get rid of the winning and losing mentality. Sure, being the victor at the end is nice and all, but in the grand scheme of things it means less than the actual experience. So do your best to chill and not worry about the winning and losing. Focus on having fun and see what other people are doing. Enjoy your family and friends and the support they are there to give you. Enjoy the comraderie of people participating in the same hobby as you are, even if they are direct competitors.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The not-so-obvious truth is that the real victory is in learning to perform in spite of your fears and, as you progress, in learning to control them. Fear is a normal response; studying a martial art is partly about learning to manage it well enough to perform as close to your potential as possible. By the way, it's actually okay if you embarrass yourself right away, cuz then you'll know what it is and see that it's not as big a thing as you think. We all embarrass ourselves eventually, but it's motivating and good for thickening the skin. Welcome to the game.

Carl

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well???? is it this weekend?

be sure to post how you did. mentally as well and physically. Plus, it is always good to document your experience. 1 day you may be able to reflect back on it.

Egon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In my first fight I mixed chariot and ninja sogi stances so when judge sad chariot I stood in ninja sogi and vice versa. It was funny and I almost got disqualification. Then after fight begun I tried something, stepped over myself and fell on the mat. Later in fight I kicked myself in nose with knee while trying front kick.

You can't be worse then that, right? :)

Shakes and fear are perfectly normal, go there and get over your fears!! Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
bugatabugata

bugatabugata

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Baah, tomorrow. Dubok washed and ironed, all gear ready to go, got some snacks and water and a badass music mix. Just have to shower, boil and fit the mouth guard and actually manage to fall asleep :) I'll give you guys an update either which way. Thank you for all the support and good thoughts! It really does mean a lot.

OP
bugatabugata

bugatabugata

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Time for the debrief: Well, I didn't win, but that's actually OK. Came in second on forms and lost my first (and only) sparring match -- it was sudden death elimination. I have some video of the fight I can post from work on Monday, if anyone wants to see it.

Bad news: I didn't win.
Good news: I now have a proper nemesis :) -- the chick I lost to on both forms and sparring, so now I can train with her in mind. She's a high red belt and was actually quite nice in real life, but next time we meet in competition, I'd like to kick the shiznit out of her.

The competition itself: there was a whole lot of sitting around and wondering confusedly from place to place. I was in the zone and ready to go for the sparring, but then there was some confusion, where the ref had me change a bunch of equipment -- my helmet was the wrong color, then there was a scramble to find instep protectors (didn't think we needed them), so ended up with some borrowed point sparring protectors, which basically look (and feel) like giant clown shoes. And then it was on. Basically, all my strategy and pre-gaming went out the window; I mostly reverted back to "kill mode" and started wailing on her. It went by really, really fast, but the slightly messed up part is that I actually thought I was winning until I looked at the scoreboard. I think I lost by three points. My brother tells me I got in a lot more kicks, but most of them weren't "point" kicks (something that I definitely need to figure out before the next competition.) Also, seeing myself on video...I'm a lot stiffer than I thought I was (and, um, way goofier looking than I thought as well). And, the other girl was just better, that's all there is to it.

However, my whole family got to see me, my buddies turned out in force, and it turned into a surprisingly warm, fuzzy experience and into, heck, one of the better days of my life! Then we went out for Korean barbecue and polished off a couple of bottles of soju :) Definitely doing it again, but, man, I have a loong way to go!

Thank you all for being awesome and for the encouragement!

Tenchi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Glad you have enjoyed it. The first tournament shouldn't be seen as the time to win, but rather as the time for you to enjoy yourself and gain some experience and it seems you clearly got both. Congratulations! :)

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well congratulations. so you survived. glad to hear you had a good time.

It always seems like there is alot of confusion to add to your first tournament causing more stress. The sitting and waiting is the worse.

Funny how plans and stragety goes right out the window right!!!! same thing happens in a real world situation. its all reflexes and reaction. Thats why training hard prior to the tournament is so important. if you slack and train half ***, thats how you fight. Over time you will learn how to calm yourself and "think" while you fight.

glad to hear your anxiety turned into a wonderful experience.

it will get easier over time.

Latest Discussions