Starting my journey late in life. Duo Art Tallahassee, FL

DUO ART

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have decided to join a forum, because I need to interact with people who love martial arts as well. No matter the art you take, your putting time into it and there has to be a passion there . So respect to all martial artist out there.

I started this journey only 9 months ago, when I was 41. I take two separate arts. Kajukenbo Kenpo and Krav Maga. I currently possess a yellow belt in Kajukenbo Kenpo. Working on my level 1 certificate in Krav Maga.

Ill admit, I have put more time into the Kenpo part, but that is because I was missing a lot of Krav classes this past year. Not happening this coming year. I have been advised that Stretching is my friend and to embrace it .

I am ready for the level one test knowledge wise though, but my teacher flips a switch during testing time and well his test for most belts and certificates are like 3 1/2 hours long. I heard Black is a monster and much longer , at my school.

Anyway, starting ff late in life, I noticed that I'm usually the oldest or second oldest in the class. It took me a few weeks to get use to the age difference, but I put the small ego to the side and am no longer self consciencious on the age thing.

Anyway, I'm very impressed by this site . I love the fact that many arts are covered here. Its good to learn information on other arts as well as the one you practice. i look forward to interacting with the community here. I wont be on much between classes, and studying for IT certs. But I will be popping in on weekends reading, asking and learning.

Polina

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi! I am new to martial arts as well. Can you tell me about Krav Maga? I have never heard of it.

OP
DUO ART

DUO ART

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi! I am new to martial arts as well. Can you tell me about Krav Maga? I have never heard of it.

It in the forum here. A whole section in fact, for Krav Maga . Basically it and Systems, which I recommended for you, are military style self defenses . Geared towards real world combat. Krave is Isreali self defense . Systema is the Russian version . While they have differences, both are deadly and effective for real life , no hold barred fighting and defense

Polina

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It in the forum here. A whole section in fact, for Krav Maga . Basically it and Systems, which I recommended for you, are military style self defenses . Geared towards real world combat. Krave is Isreali self defense . Systema is the Russian version . While they have differences, both are deadly and effective for real life , no hold barred fighting and defense

Oh wow sounds scary. To be honest I did not know about systema either.

OP
DUO ART

DUO ART

White Belt
Reaction score

I responded with a link in your welcome thread. Heres the Wikipedia page on Systema as well. Systema - Wikipedia

Bear in mind my friend. You might want something else. Akido and Judo are practiced over in Russia a lot I heard as well . But Systema is one of the most brutal and popular self defenses in Russia.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Duo Art.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
People call Krav Maga military self defence but really it's not. Krav Maga was invented for military use that is correct. But it was then developed for civilian use which is mainly what is taught now. It's not scary at all. It is taught in a controlled manner and sparring and the full contact side is only taught at a higher level

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums... And welcome to the martial arts... TBH, there is no such thing as too late (unless, I guess, your dead). Hope that you enjoy it as much as all of us do :)

Latest Discussions