Hello from Albany NY

Vizion

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all. I am just getting into martial arts and having trouble deciding on which style to choose.

My first choice is Xing Yi Quan. There is a place here that teaches that, Ba Gua, Qi Gong, Tai Chi, etc. and I have really been admiring the art since I was first interested in learning martial arts for its directness and ease of use. I have recently lost some weight and gained some muscle and endurance in preparation, but I am almost 30 and dont feel I can do some of the flashier styles, not anytime soon anyway. I am dedicated to my physical training so who knows later on.

The other styles I might be interested in offered in the area are Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, and there is a "Defensive Hapkido" at one school that is supposed to mix Hapkido basics with Krav Maga, Muay Thai, and a couple of other styles for their joint locks, striking, etc.

Also, there is a Wing Chun/ Ving Tsug studio run by Russell Cichon, who I read was taught by Grandmaster Ip Ching, the second oldest son of Yip Man. That makes me very interested in that as well.

There is a great mix of styles in my area, 30-40 schools in a 10 mile radius of my house, so any opinions of what is or is not good for a person of my age just starting I welcome. Also anyone in my area, I would LOVE to hear your opinion on any classes you have attended.

Other than that, hello!

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Best to visit the schools you are interested in and help make your decision that way.

Almost 30!, never too old friend, i am thinking of changing styles myself and i am 38 :)

Welcome to MT

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greeting from Syr, NY. Welcome and enjoy.......

Latest Discussions