Stars & Stripes Gi or dobok. Who's got one?

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Agreed. I think a mullet is required as well, if you wear one of these incredibly cheesy dogi... :uhyeah:

I still see the occasional mullet on MA instructors. Its seems some of our people haven't gotten the message that the late 80's/early 90's are over.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I still see the occasional mullet on MA instructors. Its seems some of our people haven't gotten the message that the late 80's/early 90's are over.
I dunno what's worse, that or what I call the "wind shear" look: bald on top, but with the fringe of hair on the sides and back tied back in a ponytail. :uhyeah:

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I dunno what's worse, that or what I call the "wind shear" look: bald on top, but with the fringe of hair on the sides and back tied back in a ponytail. :uhyeah:

Wind shear or "pre-anteater/hair plug Steven Seagal" take your pick.:)

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Wearing the stars and stripes of our nation as clothing demeans the symbol of our country and goes against the flag code.

I'd never wear one.

No my dear it does not. I wrestled for the Marine Corps, our singlets were a collauge of the american flag and the Marine Corps flag. The lettes USMC down the back.

Using the flag pattern is not against any code. Cutting up the American flag is. You confused two different things.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
matt.m said:
No my dear it does not. I wrestled for the Marine Corps, our singlets were a collauge of the american flag and the Marine Corps flag. The lettes USMC down the back.

Using the flag pattern is not against any code. Cutting up the American flag is. You confused two different things.
No, I didn't confuse them.

I'll ask you - what is the difference between using the flag pattern on paper plates, napkins, etcetera, and wearing the pattern as clothing?

Also, it is not against the law to cut up the American Flag if it is for the purpose of dismantling the flag to prepare it for disposal by incineration.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
No, I didn't confuse them.

I'll ask you - what is the difference between using the flag pattern on paper plates, napkins, etcetera, and wearing the pattern as clothing?

Also, it is not against the law to cut up the American Flag if it is for the purpose of dismantling the flag to prepare it for disposal by incineration.

Wow, I have to ask this to you. Have you ever worn a U.S. Military uniform and served over seas? I have, also I have seen much in the way of combat. The way I see it is that if it is ok for the Marine Corps (Our wrestling singlets) then it is ok with me, by the way I left the Marines after 5 yrs as a Sergeant.

Afterall, the U.S. Marine Corps has the most honored tradition of combat effectiveness. It should come as no suprise considering the Marine Corps is the most forward deployed branch of the U.S. Military.

By the way, to go back onto topic. Considering arts such as hapkido, karate, tae kwon do etc. are of Asian decent. I would not wear an American Flag dobok. One has virtually nothing to do with the other in my opinion.

Also the flag cutting reference I was making was concerning cutting up an American flag to make clothing out of it. Not for disposal purposes. I am sorry if I did not clarify enough.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think everyone takes it way too seriously.

It's just a symbol.

I would be pretty upset if someone took the bill of rights and cut it up to make a cool paper airplane, but the flag is just a design, and not even a cool one. Our flag has changed several times in history. Would you be offended if someone wore an old flag design?

I have yet to see anyone wear a flag and mean anything disrespectful by it.
As for the uniforms, I personally find them tacky. But its a free country and everyone is free to dress tacky if they want.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cirdan said:
:lfao:
Good gi for a laugh I suppose.

I don't picture other countries doing this. I don't there's a gi made of the Canadian flag.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I remember one of my earlier instructors wore one occasionally, but if memory serves, it was spawned by the fashion sense of the superfoot. I haven't seen one recently and do personally find them kinda tacky. To avoid such things, my students wear plain white karate-gi until black belt, then they may wear plain black, plain white or a mix of the two.

Is wearing a flag shirt against the flag code...depends on the interpretation. I know of no person serving time in Ft Leavenworth Federal Pen for wearing a flag shirt.

The flag is, however, NOT "...just a design, and not even a good one..." as has been cited. As a symbol, it trancends design and represents far more than I am willing to discuss here.

My two cents.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I don't picture other countries doing this. I don't there's a gi made of the Canadian flag.

I know I've seen the both the Union Jack and the Brazilian flag.

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
I didn't know there was a company still producing the Stars and Stripes Gi! I thought the last one's stopped appearing around '00. Who makes them these days?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpo5th said:
I didn't know there was a company still producing the Stars and Stripes Gi! I thought the last one's stopped appearing around '00. Who makes them these days?

Probably the same firm that makes super hero outfits for captain america and his colleauges.
superman.gif

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
The uniforms are stiil around, but they are becoming more and more scarce. They realized the sad truth that they risked bringing back the mullet and hair bands.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our military are wearing the flag on their right arm reversed. We asked a Army officer (I believe a captain) about this one time and he said it means that a USA does not run or retreat.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Brandon Fisher said:
Our military are wearing the flag on their right arm reversed. We asked a Army officer (I believe a captain) about this one time and he said it means that a USA does not run or retreat.

Strange answer. The simple answer is, the flag worn on the left is the traditional flag - on the left is the reversed flag. If you look on yellow school busses they are the same, and I don't think it has anything to do with retreating.

Latest Discussions