Stance Work

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Went to class last night. My main problem is still that damn stance work. Sifu said that I'm basically taking my Sil Lum Tao stance and turning it. I'm not bringing the attitude needed. When I pivot to the left or right in Chum Kiu, I am too upright. He said I'm not bringing the right "attitude" to the stance. Adduction goes to crap. I tried working on it the whole class, and by the end I didn't even hear him say, "Now you are getting the idea."

I know it was addressed only for one night, and I am NOT saying he should praise me if I really wasn't getting it, but at the same time it left me feeling like I don't even know what to do to progress in the right direction. Honestly, I don't even know where that leaves me because I don't want to keep practicing the wrong thing until I get back to class.

Maybe it's time to just work nothing but Sil Lum Tao...really feel out that stance, then try just facing left and right.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't sweat it so much. Training is a process...it may feel horrible today, tomorrow or for a long time, but as you keep working it, it will one day click and you will get it. Look long term to get past short term problems in your training...and have fun.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I try to keep it lighthearted, fun, and enjoyable...but when I can't improve at all, it gets annoying. Kind of like when you play a video game and there's that one part you keep dying at. You turned the game on to enjoy yourself, but you wind up getting annoyed again. It also doesn't help when I start thinking about all the time I missed. I was a super devoted student from 1995 to 1997. Then something happened...I don't even know what. I got into this weird funk. Driving to class felt like I was driving to work, so I would turn around and head home. Every now and then I think about all those years of inconsistency, and I wonder how good I'd be now if I had maintained the devotion.

I try to not let it get the better of me. I try to tell myself, "Well, you're back in it now so stop worrying about the missed time and get back in the game." Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't. But I keep going whenever I can which, unfortunately, is only once a week AT BEST these days. (Earning crappy wages while being a dad of 4 can do that to a fellow. LOL)

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you have a photo of you in the WC horse stance by chance? How have you been doing your shifting in Chum Kiu?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is he saying that it is your weight distribution that is wrong as you pivot to 90 degrees?

Imagine a vertical axis running down the center of your body that your body will rotate around , if you are only pivoting to 45 degrees each side the body weight will tend to be evenly distributed to both feet.

As we pivot to 90 degrees to each side as in Chum Kiu that vertical axis will naturally shift a large percentage of the body weight to the back foot.

I tell my students to keep their back straight and visualize the vertical axis running through their body as they pivot to 90 degrees and this usually helps them get the weight distribution correct.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is he saying that it is your weight distribution that is wrong as you pivot to 90 degrees?

Imagine a vertical axis running down the center of your body that your body will rotate around , if you are only pivoting to 45 degrees each side the body weight will tend to be evenly distributed to both feet.

As we pivot to 90 degrees to each side as in Chum Kiu that vertical axis will naturally shift a large percentage of the body weight to the back foot.

I tell my students to keep their back straight and visualize the vertical axis running through their body as they pivot to 90 degrees and this usually helps them get the weight distribution correct.

He is saying I don't have enough bend in my front leg, that it is too straight and I am too upright. But no matter how low I bent or THOUGHT I was bending, he never said I was starting to get it. So I don't know what more I can do.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
He is saying I don't have enough bend in my front leg, that it is too straight and I am too upright. But no matter how low I bent or THOUGHT I was bending, he never said I was starting to get it. So I don't know what more I can do.

Just practice slow pivoting from side to side to only 45 degrees , this will help you find your center.
Really work on staying sunk down and imagine you are trying to screw yourself down into the ground.

Then go back and do the full 90 degree pivot under the supervision of your Sifu.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
i don't know what the stance sil lum tao stance (never heard of it) is it a Chinese name? but regardless stances are stances i could tell you how something though. it sounds like one of those moments when an instructor gives an answer but that answer is not quite understood. that could be how he learned it, sometimes it helps (maybe a lot of times or even most of the time) but sometimes you have to just do it right and figure it out yourself. practicing it a bunch of times will help, eventually it will end up right. yet don't over think it. once you start getting a general idea it will get easier and the more you get it down right the simpler and more natural it gets. if this dosnt help then maybe over time you will find your own method. (just practice and be patient)

best of luck

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
i don't know what the stance sil lum tao stance (never heard of it) is it a Chinese name? but regardless stances are stances i could tell you how something though. it sounds like one of those moments when an instructor gives an answer but that answer is not quite understood. that could be how he learned it, sometimes it helps (maybe a lot of times or even most of the time) but sometimes you have to just do it right and figure it out yourself. practicing it a bunch of times will help, eventually it will end up right. yet don't over think it. once you start getting a general idea it will get easier and the more you get it down right the simpler and more natural it gets. if this dosnt help then maybe over time you will find your own method. (just practice and be patient)

best of luck

SLT refers to our horse stance that we use between shifts since we stay in that stance for our first form, which is called SLT. It's Chinese for "Little Idea" :)

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

best of luck

Obviously I don't understand it or I would have taken what he said and applied it, and he would have said, "NOW you got it!" LOL

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
The fact that your sifu doesn't describe what you're doing incorrectly in practical terms is a bit suspicious in my personal opinion. It could be how he was taught though.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
SLT refers to our horse stance that we use between shifts since we stay in that stance for our first form, which is called SLT. It's Chinese for "Little Idea" :)

oh... i know that one... in my school its shiko dachi stance

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
in my school its called shiko dachi stance I'm very familiar with that stance
i have had had problems similar to this one in my class, marnetmar brings up a good point. perhaps you could ask your sifu what needs fixing. i bet its frustrating (i have been there done that) yet the problem cant be fixed until you know what your doing wrong

keep us posted, best of luck

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
The fact that your sifu doesn't describe what you're doing incorrectly in practical terms is a bit suspicious in my personal opinion. It could be how he was taught though.

Just because I don't get it doesn't mean he isn't communicating properly. Look at the others who have responded to this thread and had a good grasp of what he meant.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Went to class last night. My main problem is still that damn stance work. Sifu said that I'm basically taking my Sil Lum Tao stance and turning it. I'm not bringing the attitude needed. When I pivot to the left or right in Chum Kiu, I am too upright. He said I'm not bringing the right "attitude" to the stance. Adduction goes to crap. I tried working on it the whole class, and by the end I didn't even hear him say, "Now you are getting the idea."

I know it was addressed only for one night, and I am NOT saying he should praise me if I really wasn't getting it, but at the same time it left me feeling like I don't even know what to do to progress in the right direction. Honestly, I don't even know where that leaves me because I don't want to keep practicing the wrong thing until I get back to class.

Maybe it's time to just work nothing but Sil Lum Tao...really feel out that stance, then try just facing left and right.

I was with my taiji shifu for years before he finally said...."Good job"... I was just happy he was not correcting me as much (and he was correcting others) He just is not big on talking. like his shifu was. And like his shifu if you were not practicing and you came and did the same things wrong over and over again he would not correct you at all

I know your shifu and he's a good one, take the corrections and be happy he gave them to you, it shows he actually thinks you are worth correcting.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was with my taiji shifu for years before he finally said...."Good job"... I was just happy he was not correcting me as much (and he was correcting others) He just is not big on talking. like his shifu was. And like his shifu if you were not practicing and you came and did the same things wrong over and over again he would not correct you at all

I know your shifu and he's a good one, take the corrections and be happy he gave them to you, it shows he actually thinks you are worth correcting.

I know. I'm not mad at him. I'm mad at myself for not getting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
The fact that you are aware that you are too high in your stance means that you are at least halfway there to fixing the problem.

When you are practising the form look down occasionally and see that your knees are just over your toes , of course there are slight variations due to differences in individual anatomy.

But this is still quite a good rule of thumb to ensure that you are sinking your weight down to the correct level.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score

It's not a simple fix so don't be frustrated with your self. Kung Fu means skill learned over a long period of time requiring allot of hard work and I'm sure that most senior martial artist will agree that stance and root takes years of experience to even start getting to half way where it should be. Don't worry one day it will just click & connect and you will be like there it is and have a big goofy grin on your your face. Thats of course if you keep on practicing.

PS I still do Stance Work to develop a better root and connection in my stances on a daily basis and recently had a major break thru in my root after doing martial arts for 18+ years.

I'm A Martial Artist Not A Jock Artist.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score

Plateaus in training happen. I have fought and fought trying to get something "correct" and then all of a sudden it just "makes" sense. Most of the times I couldn't tell you what I did different or why I finally "got" it. Just keep at it and be patient with yourself.

Enjoy the Journey.

Latest Discussions