Sport vs. Street

It depends where you are. If you are socially locked in. School for example constantly backing down may create more issues in the future.

If you are never going to see the guy again. Then who cares.

But if they are going to be a continued threat you may have to show some teeth.

Otherwise for me. If i am confident i can wreck the guy. I don't care if i back down. But if i am less confident I may have to be more aggressive.

By the way this is why we can't really have self defence conversations. Because instead of certain concepts like deescalation is a tool that works for me in this sort of situation. We get you should always deescalate. Cos self defence.
Yes. This is that "bigger picture" aspect I was referring to earlier. De-escalation is usually one of the best options (where available), but there are times it isn't.

That's a strawman. At no point did I say never go out alone, and that leaving was the only option.

As for the "talk to me like that and I'll break your nose" - in some US states (so I've been told by LEO's), that can remove any claim of self-defense (unless they escalate dramatically). So now if they take a swing, you are a willing combatant. Bad advice.

Yeah but that is still not a game changer. It is a risk factor.

It depends where you are. If you are socially locked in. School for example constantly backing down may create more issues in the future.

If you are never going to see the guy again. Then who cares.

But if they are going to be a continued threat you may have to show some teeth.

Otherwise for me. If i am confident i can wreck the guy. I don't care if i back down. But if i am less confident I may have to be more aggressive.

De-escalating doesn't necessarily mean backing down.

You can stand up for yourself without escalating or backing down.

Not every encounter has to be **** measuring contest.

Because that one time you encounter that guy cuts you from navel to kidney it's too late to realize that was a bad idea.

Always de-escalate until you dont have another choice.
you cant live your life on your life pn yourknees just because you might meet someone with a knife.

Isn't there a middle ground between never backing down and always backing down? I think there's room in the decision making process for critical thinking skills.

That's a strawman. At no point did I say never go out alone, and that leaving was the only option.

As for the "talk to me like that and I'll break your nose" - in some US states (so I've been told by LEO's), that can remove any claim of self-defense (unless they escalate dramatically). So now if they take a swing, you are a willing combatant. Bad advice.
fortunately. I dont live in the usa, as long as i make it a condition offer, ie, say that again and il break your nose im fine. Representing strength is a perfectly value tool, showing weakness just encorages them to carry on

you cant live your life on your life pn yourknees just because you might meet someone with a knife.
And there's a lot of ground between "talk to me like that and I'll hurt you" and "living on your knees". False dichotomy.

Isn't there a middle ground between never backing down and always backing down? I think there's room in the decision making process for critical thinking skills.
indeed, if they are much bigger than you, there are more of them, you have your best suit on

fortunately. I dont live in the usa, as long as i make it a condition offer, ie, say that again and il break your nose im fine. Representing strength is a perfectly value tool, showing weakness just encorages them to carry on
You seem to be assuming that de-escalation depends upon looking weak. It's not my experience that this is a general rule. In many cases, looking weak encourages them.

It's not about backing down.....it's about knowing how to diffuse a situation without escalating it.

It's what we teach undercovers.....try and diffuse situation but then take swift action and stop threat when needed.

And there's a lot of ground between "talk to me like that and I'll hurt you" and "living on your knees". False dichotomy.
surely that rather depends what they have just said/ done. If you are going to allow yourself to be insulted manhandled or what ever and be to scared to stick up for yourself, that rather close to living on your knees

You seem to be assuming that de-escalation depends upon looking weak. It's not my experience that this is a general rule. In many cases, looking weak encourages them.
ok someone in bar sexualy assault's your lady friend,

to de-escalate the situation you say. My dear man please refrain from touching my girl friend breast and so he does it again, so you leave, is that how it plays out?

I believe this depends on the situation and how it is carried out. If someone stands up to someone else and comes off as an a**hole, then it can lead to conversation. But if you stand up for yourself, and take control of the situation, then you can be better off. Pull a joke, distract them with a game, anything to bring the situation under your control. As soon as you loose control, that is when a weakness can become dangerous.

List 10 "TKD Kicks".

Really? OK, I'll bite.

I don't know why you'd need that, but here you go...

ahp chagi , or front kick; yup chagi, or side kick; jillo chagi, or thrusting kick; dolrya chagi, or round kick; dwi chagi, or back kick; bahndae dolrya chagi, or hook kick; bahndall chagi, or crescent kick; hoohrio chagi, or wheel kick; nehryuh jeek gi, or ax kick; and mil a chagi, pushing kick.

What do I win? I'm quite confused about your reference here.

I've been in street fights and gang rumbles too, big deal. I don't think you understand the point.

So far as I can tell, NO ONE understands your point. Do you think you can make a concise and conceptual themed declarative of what it is that you are obviously trying very hard to tell everyone.

ok someone in bar sexualy assault's your lady friend,

to de-escalate the situation you say. My dear man please refrain from touching my girl friend breast and so he does it again, so you leave, is that how it plays out?

No you tell the guy to keep his hands to himself and if he tries again you put him down.

Simple.

Ok. definitely enhanced risk in a street fight.

And avoid them obviously.

But going straught to shanking a dude because all street fights are kill or be killed. Sorry but just no. That was oaktrees origional premis. Showed a video of a guy getting shanked in a fight.

Now Friedrice has turned around and said here are heaps of fights where guys are not getting shanked. Which to me was a fair point.

And then you jumped in and said it didn't count because of the self defence difference.

It seemed a trumped up difference. which self defence gets used for a lot. Especially when you are the sole diviner of what self defence actually is.(also gets used a lot)

My view is if self defence is used as an argument it should actually apply to the topic. And not be a catch all comment.

Regarding going full retard in a fight.

OK, Drop. "Going Full Retard" has now been added to my lexicon of really cool sayings to use during class, though I'll have to be certain of my crowd. No snowflakes, which is another term for which I'm still trying to get an understanding of what it actually is, though I've made up my own definition.

As to the post where you first used that, Agreed on all points.

OK, Drop. "Going Full Retard" has now been added to my lexicon of really cool sayings to use during class, though I'll have to be certain of my crowd. No snowflakes, which is another term for which I'm still trying to get an understanding of what it actually is, though I've made up my own definition.

As to the post where you first used that, Agreed on all points.

Hate that term. It mocks the handicap

Latest Discussions

Back