sponsorship

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
now as most people know i compete a lot! I go to a lot of national and local tournaments. Last Weekend I went to South Caroline, This weekend I just got back from Niagara Falls Canada After A while this starts to add up I am going to a lot more tournaments this year I was wondering does any one know where i should start to look for sponsorship (like what companies ext..)

thanks

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have to start small when it comes to sponsorships talk to local car dealerships, and independent businesses. If you are good you may get noticed by a larger company and get a good sponsorship but don't count on it since they are few and far between.

You also have to look at what teh sponsors get out of it. If you win a lot and get your name in teh paper a lot you can always thak you sponsor publicly, but it is rare anyone will give up money for nothing.

M

Mark Weiser

It also depends on the cost outlay vs the advertisment feed back. Let say I as a Independent Business person wanted to endorse you. I would have to see your resume, also see a few videos of you in tournaments.

Also it helps if I as a Business owner has very colorful and easy to spot Ads such as T-Shirts, Warm-up Gear, etc.., Give aways at the events, Endorsements by the Sponsoree(you). Media Blitz is also a good one with small and quick TV and Radio Ads about 15 seconds long.

S

sifu nick

Sponsorship for school type teams usually seems to happen when someone from your school works at a larger corporation or business. Individual sponsorship is usually only obtained by being a Black Belt that constantly wins and gets onstage. My instructor coaches Team CJB which I feel is the best team in the world. To get on that team you need to definetly be a cut above the rest. Hope that helps. Good Luck!!!

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
well when i did try small companys alot of them said they only did non profit org so i was not sure what to do

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TallAdam85 said:
Well when I did try small companys alot of them said they only did non profit org so I was not sure what to do
Tall Adam this is what we did I went down and filed a DBA non-profit called it TOPA stands for Tae Kwon Do Organization of parents and athletes, file a non-profit corp. 501 c, that way the business could right it off entirety. my website is www.topa.us,. look at it and see if that will help you in your endevours. PM me and let me know. I can always help you if you would like.
Good Luck and GOD BLESS AMERICA

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Tall Adam this is what we did I went down and filed a DBA non-profit called it TOPA stands for Tae Kwon Do Organization of parents and athletes, file a non-profit corp. 501 c, that way the business could right it off entirety. my website is www.topa.us,. look at it and see if that will help you in your endevours. PM me and let me know. I can always help you if you would like.
I'd look into your particular state's laws regarding that one. A not-for-profit is usually (but not always) a charitable organization, and I think you'd have to make it very clear as to what your plans are for any monies donated to you. You also have to show that what comes in goes out, with no profit. Tricky. I'd consult an attorney - might be worth the fee. KT

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
I'd look into your particular state's laws regarding that one. A not-for-profit is usually (but not always) a charitable organization, and I think you'd have to make it very clear as to what your plans are for any monies donated to you. You also have to show that what comes in goes out, with no profit. Tricky. I'd consult an attorney - might be worth the fee. KT
KT we used an Attorney and 100% of all monies goes for tournaments and lodgingand food TOPA sponsors the childern not the Dojaang two different organizations... Thanks for your input always appreciated,, GOD BLESS AMERICA

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry, Nice site.

Adam - that's one way to 'reward' your sponsors - displaying their information on your website (presupposes you have one, but it's a cost of doing business and you could probably put one together at a host like geocities for little or nothing). And, on your uniform, as someone else (I think Mark) said, along with distributing handouts at tourneys. Might also be nice to give your major sponsor that first place trophy you win while wearing his logo for display. KT

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
flatlander said:
One word: Nike.

They haven't infiltrated the Martial Arts yet. Give them a reason. :asian:
Adidas. :)

Seriously - good point, as always, Flatlander. Why NOT approach the big guys? They support the Olympics - and make a great deal from the 'weekend warrior' athletes as well as those of us who train regularly. The worst they will say is no, and, in this case, don't take it personally. It's always a business decision. That's the toughest thing to get past when looking for sponsors - I've developed a very thick skin (tiger pelt) being a professional fundraiser (not to be confused with a telemarketer. We don't do that.) KT

Thank YOU, Terry!

Latest Discussions