Splits (Almost)

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I figured this would fit better here than in other areas. I was practicing doing splits last night, stretching out a bit before ballroom dancing because we didn't have MA class (so I didn't stretch earlier in the day). I'm pretty flexible, so getting down into a split isn't terribly hard for me, but I haven't been able to get all the way down on the ground yet. Well, last night when doing one leg foward, one leg back splits I was able to get far enough down that I could feel my front thigh starting to touch the ground. Hopefully this means that with a bit more practice I'll be able to get all the way down on the ground. :) Doing the legs sideways split is harder, but I think I'm making some progress there, too. It seemed like I was starting to get my calves to touch the ground while going down, not much, but just enough to feel it. Well, since I've been rather close to getting full splits, but never quite all the way there, I was pretty happy with this additional progress and felt like sharing. :)

T

theneuhauser

hey, how are you doin?

almost doesnt count, dronak. come back when you are a jean claude van damme splittin between two chairs movie star, post the pick and i will throw you a party.:p just playin.
but did you get that link i posted on stretching? its awesome!

here http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/stretching_1.html

if youve got the paper and enough ink, print up the whole .pdf file. its worth it!!!

D

DJDragon

I'm still working on the splits (all three variations) The one leg forward one back splits I can't do very well. I can get down quite low in the sideways one. Problem is my knees and toes point forward instead of up when I do it, which probably means I got a long way to go.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't do the splits. I'll probably never be able to do the splits. If after 13 years of martial arts, and 5 years of ballet, if I can't do em now, I just plain can't do the splits and I just need to accept that and move on...

course, that doesn't stop me from being jealous of anyone who CAN do em.

-Nightingale

T

tonbo

I have tried various times, over the last 10 years, to get to a point where I can do the splits. I am STILL nowhere near.

I can get to a point where I only have about 6 inches or less of space between my crotch and the floor, but that seems to be my limit. It isn't as impressive or flexible as I'd like to be, but I look at it this way:

When doing a standing side stretch, I can still get my leg up to about shoulder level. When doing a standing front stretch, I can get my leg to the same level.

Without stretching, I can still throw a roundhouse that would hit most of my opponents in the head (I'm better with my right than my left, but go figure).

Essentially, I can hit the targets I want, on most people. If I *really* need to kick someone in the head, I'll kick 'em in the groin or knee first--then, when their head comes down...;)

Yeah, I would like to make the splits before I die, just to say I did it....and I am jealous of all those that already can (my wife included!).

As for your progress, Dronak, congratulations, and I hope you get there soon!!! :)

Peace--