No more lower back pain

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to have lower back pain. I have not had any lower back pain for the past 10 years. I think the following training had helped me to solve my problem. Just share my personal experience here. Hope it can help at least 1 person to solve his low back pain problem.

1. General warm up:

- Swing waist left and right.
- Bend body forward.
- Bend body backward.
- Rotate waist left and right.

2. Static stretching:

- Put leg on chest high, hold opposite hand on the toes, touch head on the leg.
- Stand in golden rooster stance. Use both hand to pull upper leg to touch chest.
- Stand on one leg. Hold other leg back up in the air. Use opposite hand to hold on rooting leg ankle.
- Do one leg forward and one leg backward floor split.
- Do both legs sideway floor split.

3. Dynamic stretching:

- Inside crescent kick.
- Outside crescent kick.
- Swing leg straight up over the head and touch the hand above the head.
- Swing leg back up.
- Lay down on the ground. Repeat 1 leg outside crescent kick and 1 leg inside crescent kick.

Last edited:

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's funny, I recently had to go on a manual handling course which was literally 2 hours teaching me how to lift a cardboard box....

Apparently most lower back injuries are from people at work not lifting properly:

images

How true that is, I don't know know, but that's what they are telling up at work.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's funny, I recently had to go on a manual handling course which was literally 2 hours teaching me how to lift a cardboard box....

Apparently most lower back injuries are from people at work not lifting properly:

images

How true that is, I don't know know, but that's what they are telling up at work.
yea sort of, most are caused by poor posture, being out of shape lifting thing that are far to heavy for them AND poor techneque.

tp be honest poor posture putting undue strain on the muscles and spine is the biggest , not using your glutes having under developed glutes also puts a high degree of,strain on the lower back

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I used to have lower back pain. I have not had any lower back pain for the past 10 years. I think the following training had helped me to solve my problem. Just share my personal experience here. Hope it can help at least 1 person to solve his low back pain problem.

1. General warm up:

- Bend body forward.
- Bend body backward.

2. Static stretching:

- Stand in golden rooster stance. Use both hand to pull upper leg to touch chest.
- Stand on one leg. Hold other leg back up in the air. Use opposite hand to hold on rooting leg ankle.

3. Dynamic stretching:

- Inside crescent kick.
- Outside crescent kick.
- Swing leg back up.
- Lay down on the ground. Repeat 1 leg outside crescent kick and 1 leg inside crescent kick.
very interesting, I too had a long term back problem that has gone away( nearly) with exercise's. I have done so many things that it hard to pin down what's help and what hasn't,
but a lot of it seems to have been down to bad alignment of my pelvis,( anterior pelvic tilt) which throws the body mechanics out and puts a lot of strain on the lower back. It's very common and is associated with a mismatch between the hip flexor muscles and the glutes and to much sitting down

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

images

It happens a lot. The problem is that many people have too much stomach which pulls on the spine in a bad way, so lifting something as light as 20 lbs can cause injury. I had to go through similar workshop and was shocked because no one at that place lifted anything heavier than a light weight chair. I guess they show it for insurance purposes.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been wanting to start training with my son but keep putting it off due to back and knee problems.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have been wanting to start training with my son but keep putting it off due to back and knee problems.
If you are like me, with too much stomach then losing weight around the stomach will help. I also have anterior pelvic tilt which is horrible on my back. I'm getting rid of it this year. I can't take it anymore.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What's in right now in orthopedics doctors in my place is to do a monkey hanging to stretch the shoulder and back.
And while laying down, bend the knee as close as possible to the chest then slowly move it sideway left and right.
Both exercises only take a minute or two a day, they help reduce the lower back pain.

Sent from my Lenovo A7010a48 using Tapatalk

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mine is more from being a meathead too often and lifting improperly and/or working harder not smarter.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jowgawolf is very right about the stomach. A big belly throws the centre of gravity forward forcing the back muscles to compensate by tightening to hold the person up. If your belly sticks out and is nice and round like a pregnant lady, that's probably one of the reasons you have back problems.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
What I genuinely think has really improved my back since I started training again is TaiJiJuan and Qigong in general, well in particular TaiJi rocking ball type movements and standing 'Embrace Moon To Chest'. Even when I over extend when trying to do a hooking kick (which is where traditionally I would always pull on my hip and therefore my back too much) I seem to be able to not have much pain the nest day, whereas before practicing TaiJiJuan, something like that would have me on my back for a week. Embrace Moon To Chest has improved my posture massively I think, it sorta feels like my shoulders/wings are pulling up my back as opposed to just slouching onto the spine. I would recommend trying that posture 3 times a week or so to anyone with lower back (muscular) pain.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jowgawolf is very right about the stomach. A big belly throws the centre of gravity forward forcing the back muscles to compensate by tightening to hold the person up. If your belly sticks out and is nice and round like a pregnant lady, that's probably one of the reasons you have back problems.
yes quite true, but a big belly is associated with weak abs, and abbs are the major muscle for supporting the torso, if they are weak, big belly or not, it puts strain on the back muscles to keep you up right, when you are stood u right the lower back muscles should be relaxed and the hold should be done by the abs. Looking at most peoples posture you will notice that the exact opposite is true

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

images

That is also how most crap double legs occur. For exactly the same reason.

One day I will get a safety poster made up for the gym.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mine is more from being a meathead too often and lifting improperly and/or working harder not smarter.

Yeah. You have to be really strict on yourself.

The thing is good lifting posture is martial arts. Elbows tight., moving in to position and not reaching.

iain_meyers

White Belt
Reaction score

1. General warm up:

- Bend body forward.
- Bend body backward.

2. Static stretching:

3. Dynamic stretching:

- Inside crescent kick.
- Outside crescent kick.
- Swing leg back up.

Do you have pics of these positions? Sounds like a good routine.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you have pics of these positions? Sounds like a good routine.
table_stretch.jpg

- Bend body backward.

bend_back.png

- Swing leg back up.

leg_lift_1.jpg

- Inside crescent kick.
- Outside crescent kick.

- Lay down on the ground. Repeat 1 leg outside crescent kick and 1 leg inside crescent kick (0.56 - 0.59).

Last edited:

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would say, well certainly for my type of back pain, if you're not completely warmed up and are not careful enough on the coming down second part of an outward crescent kicks circle, it can definitely hurt your back. In my old TKD class we used crescent kicks basically as warm up exercises and would do 20 each leg pretty much without stopping in between. I would often end up sorta pulling on my hip as I cam back down and in turn, my lower back.

As an aside, because of the way we would throw everything into TKD crescent kicks, I am finding it very difficult to adjust to the Longfist 'touch the foot with both hands' style of crescent kick, and also the inward crescent kick style where it sorta hooking kicks inward and comes back to a semi sidekick chamber position (foot almost resting on knee).

Last edited: