Split capability?

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
My question here is: How does one achieve the ability to do the splits (Front and side)?

I was talking to one of my friends, an MA for like a thousand years, told me that I have to tear the ligaments or something inbetween my legs in order to stretch that far, but that it cannot be achieved by conventional stretching methods. However, he is the only person that's told me such, so now I'm curious as to whether or not it's possible to be able to do the splits without the incredibly painful routine he described to me (Which involved stretching while flexing the leg muscles in order to pull the ligaments apart manually).

Now I know that Martial Arts aren't supposed to feel good or anything, but this just sounds.....inhumane.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
My understanding is that you should be able to increase your flexibility though stretching techniques but how far you will be able to stretch is limited by your genetics.

There are tons of books and videos out there all claiming to be able to get you to do splits. The first thing you should do is make sure that you have warmed your muscles up first. There are a couple of stretches that I like to do.

One is to sit on the floor with your legs out as far appart as you can get them. Then you reach forward as far as is comfortable. Take a couple of deep breaths and exhale. On the exhale, crawl your hand forward an inch and hold it for another deep breath. Repeat this until you feel uncomfortable with going any lower.

Another is to stand up against a wall and have a partner lift your leg as high as is comfortable for you. This can be done with side kicks or front kicks. Once you are as high as you can go, try and force your leg back down to the floor while your partner offers resistance. He shouldn't prevent you from going back down, just give you something to fight against as you do go down. Once your leg is back to the floor, shake it out and do it again.

Those are my favorite stretches. I'm sure you will get many more. Hopefully something works for you.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with fnorfurfoot's suggestion. You might have to, no- should- stretch every day. You should stretch to keep your muscles limber, especially as a martial artist. The more you get into the habit of stretching, the more limber you will become and lesson the chances of you getting injured. Please please please don't take your friends advice about tearing ligaments or muscles! That is far more dangerous and can prevent you from doing a martial art class for quite a long while! I've heard too many people pulling muscles in the groin and couldn't go to class for a long while because of that.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The splits is a stunt that has no impact on functional skills. If you want to learn to do it, you need to practice it. It's the only way to get to position specific goals. Find your edge, the place that's uncomfortable but not very uncomfortable. And then just smile and hold it. Incremental progress will see you there.

If you want some dynamic range of motion, well that's something else entirely.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you want some dynamic range of motion, well that's something else entirely.

Yes, that's really the crucial point so far as MA functionality is concerned. Tom Kurz is always reminding us—and I've heard corroboration from several independent sources—that for functional MA capability, dynamic stretching is what you need to do, with gradual extension of dynamic range. The splits are a static stretching activity. For kicking capablity, dynamic stretching is much more useful...

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, that's really the crucial point so far as MA functionality is concerned. Tom Kurz is always reminding us—and I've heard corroboration from several independent sources—that for functional MA capability, dynamic stretching is what you need to do, with gradual extension of dynamic range. The splits are a static stretching activity. For kicking capablity, dynamic stretching is much more useful...

I agree with what exile stated.

I also what to tell you that if you tear your ligaments and/or tendons you will NEVER do the splits and you run the risk of creating joint instability. :erg:

Doing the splits and kicking high require two seperate types of flexibility. Though they can compliment each other, they are slightly different. If all you are wanting to do is perform the splits you need to do two types of stretching: PNF and Isometric. PNF is contracting the muscle as much as you can and then stretching. Isometric is getting in positions that are stretching and strenthening at the same time(easier to do than to explain). If you are wanitng to kick high you need to perform dynamic stretching like leg lifts. You should try to increase strength and flexibility at the same time

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was talking to one of my friends, an MA for like a thousand years, told me that I have to tear the ligaments or something inbetween my legs in order to stretch that far, but that it cannot be achieved by conventional stretching methods.

I think you need a new friend! Do not heed that person's advice as it is incorrect. Tearing is injury and causes scarring and weakening. Although you can heal, it is never good for you and can lead to many problems later. I knew a fellow Taekwondo instructor many years ago who had very loose hip sockets. When he did the splits, his femur ball joint actually rotated out of the hip sockets. He was flexible, but always had problems and pain with his hips.

The human muscles, tendons, and ligaments stretch, grow, and adapt to whatever activities they are accustomed. Unless you have a previous injury, or physical condition (such as may be present in a person with cerebral palsy), you will be able to stretch your leg and groin muscles to be able to do the splits in all directions. A proper diet helps, and stretching using correct methods for ideal duration and intervals will speed up the process.

I know this because I first conditioned myself to do the splits when I was 17 years old. I am 47 now, and can still do the splits. I have taught many students how to stretch and achieve full splits as well.

The splits is a stunt that has no impact on functional skills.

I don't prefer to argue with fellow members here, or flat out disagree, but I want it to be understood that the above statement is one person's personal opinion, and it does not ring true for all aspects of the Martial Art. Kicking an opponent is a functional skill. Since there are multiple targets from head to toe, it is an individual choice if you want to condition yourself to be able to hit any of those targets or limit yourself to just the lower ones. Choosing to be able to kick an opponent in the head when they are standing up straight is a functional skill that works (and I won't even debate the issue of when or how to make it safe and effective because if you are trained to do it correctly, you know how).

Furthermore, the primary reason for stretching to do the splits is for range of movement, and better for reaching a target farther away. Even if you never kick to a point that places your legs in a full split during the kick, every bit of movement you do to lift your leg is met with resistance from muscles that are not stretched. Even lower kicks are made easier, faster, more agile between multiple kicks, and more accurate if your muscles are stretched to a further degree.

Finally, for those who prefer grappling, there are various pain holds (such as the one we affectionately called the "banana splits" in wrestling) where the opponent submits because you are spreading their legs further than their muscles allow. If you can do the splits, it is less likely that you will be forced to submit when in this hold, plus your ability to move your legs around when grappling in order to place various leg scissors and other holds would be enhanced.

The splits is not just a stunt for show - - they are an extremely functional skill for those who choose to use the legs in Self Defense. The more you stretch, the wider your range of options and the less limited you are. This is not to say that a person cannot effectively defend themselves if they can't do the splits - - quite the opposite is true, but do not make the mistake of downplaying an appropriate physical conditioning skill.

CM D.J. Eisenhart

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question here is: How does one achieve the ability to do the splits (Front and side)?

I was talking to one of my friends, an MA for like a thousand years, told me that I have to tear the ligaments or something inbetween my legs in order to stretch that far, but that it cannot be achieved by conventional stretching methods. However, he is the only person that's told me such, so now I'm curious as to whether or not it's possible to be able to do the splits without the incredibly painful routine he described to me (Which involved stretching while flexing the leg muscles in order to pull the ligaments apart manually).

Now I know that Martial Arts aren't supposed to feel good or anything, but this just sounds.....inhumane.

I would avoid tearing the ligaments. Is the pain, discomfort and the problems you'll have walking while it heals, worth being able to do a split?? Some bodies, as it was already said, will never be able to do a split due to genetics. I would suggest making sure that you're warmed up very good before stretching. Take your time. Nothing happens overnight.

While kicking high is nice, it has its pros and cons just like everything else. There are many good targets on the lower half of the body so it isn't always necessary to kick head height.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Great replies! It is nice if you can do spits, lots of people cannot. Except what you can do...make the most of your ablilties that is effective for you.

In a real fight...learning to split out there is good training (use running portion of the legs and upper body). NO one wants a spliting head/headache. SPLIT:means to leave,get out of there...

For training and excerise.... spliting is NOT neccessary (nice to be able too). EXCEPT.. what you can do..everyone can improve alittle with lots effort in stretching reqular.

FORCUS on your successes' Better to have speed and power...than doing splits.................Aloha

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not exactly known for my amazing flexibility, but here's a low-impact exercise that will help a bit. Lay on your back with your butt up against a wall and your legs extended up along the wall. Spread your legs and let the weight of your legs themselves slowly stretch the muscles in your inner thighs.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Remodeling patiently through careful stretching is the answer, not ripping and causing injury.

If you tear stuff, you have to rehab the injury which means it will be even longer before you get to work on improving flexibility.

Flexibility is a GOOD thing: even if you don't want to kick high, it reduces your chance for injuries.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't prefer to argue with fellow members here, or flat out disagree, but I want it to be understood that the above statement is one person's personal opinion, and it does not ring true for all aspects of the Martial Art.

I don't mind, and we do disagree.

In my opinion, stretching is not functional and many people will have little carryover between static stretches and range of motion.

The whole stretching mindset is some of the body some of the time. Dynamic mobility is all of the body all of the time. It gives you range of motion with the strength to support that range of motion. Without the strength to support a release, you end up with hypermobility. While that looks great in the circus, it's not an appropriate conditioning tool.

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
As many have warned about.....

There should be alarm bells going off at the word "TEAR"....Hello!!?? but tearing anything causes damage..and the idea that something "heals" and the by-product is greater range of motion is crap. Healing involves scar tissue and I would submit as a result LESS ROM. (Range of Motion)..

Also as someone else suggests, that you should stretch everyday..
PLEASE be careful with that one as well. If you stretch too much you do not give the muscles/ligaments/tendons time to heal and rest. You could do damage over time.

Approach it this way...You have stretching exercises SPECIFIC to increasing ROM (some have offered Dynamic which is very good) and then you have Stretching that is used a warm, loosening your muscles etc...

Do your Stetching to increase ROM one day followed by a couple of days of Statics stretching where you are not taxing your body as much. Give the body a chance to "heal" and elasticize from the dynamic stretching. If you do that too much or too often you are actually going to become less flexible.

Latest Discussions