speed vs power

T

the_kicking_fiend

I know this is a difficult one to call and in many ways they merge in some technqiues but which aspect of training do you feel deserves more practise?

In sparring, I think I can safely conclude fast opponents have a major advantage, big powerful attacks are just to obvious for someone throw a little flick kick in and start scoring some points.

In the street however it's another ball game, right? I mean no matter how fast you were, there's a point where your fighting someone so hopelessly strong you stand no chance.

Just wondering what people's thoughts were... should we be concentrating on power or speed more? Even if only slightly one way?

your friendly fiend,
D

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by the_kicking_fiend
I know this is a difficult one to call and in many ways they merge in some technqiues but which aspect of training do you feel deserves more practise?

In sparring, I think I can safely conclude fast opponents have a major advantage, big powerful attacks are just to obvious for someone throw a little flick kick in and start scoring some points.

In the street however it's another ball game, right? I mean no matter how fast you were, there's a point where your fighting someone so hopelessly strong you stand no chance.

Just wondering what people's thoughts were... should we be concentrating on power or speed more? Even if only slightly one way?

your friendly fiend,
D

Depends, if your gonna go for completly neglecting the other form of practice then I would choose power. If you mean if someone is already fast and needs power then I would choose power vice versa. Kinda depends on what situation :asian:

OP
F

fringe_dweller

Even with my limited knowledge I would like to post a reply.
I know you only gave two options and I may be missing the point but in the real world (as opposed to a hypothetical situation) we have a number of choices as to what to train for. My choice would simply be to work on my technique. When your technique becomes proficient, speed will follow as will power.
I once asked on this board how to train for speed - I was told to practice the techniques slowly. Having done this I noticed several problems with my techniques which I have been able to correct and my speed on those techniques has really improved. The way we are taught in hapkido, at least 90% of our power is generated through the hips. Hence if we can do the techniques correctly then our hips are behind our strike and provide power.

Hope that made sense

Respectfully,

OP
S

SRyuFighter

I myself am somewhat balanced but lean more to the power side. I however, have a lot of accuracy to all of my hits count. I think that it is better to be balanced. In all of my experiences someone who is pure speed really couldn't hurt a fly. But someone who is too strong couldn't hit anyone. So I say balanced, I know that's not what you were wanting to hear.

OP
S

sweeper

well you can train for speed and power through physical exercises specific to the motion in genneral, but the gains you would get from that would be insignificant if you had bad technique.

I would say power tends to be more important than speed in genneral, basicly you only need as much speed as is nessisaray to hit a target and the better timming you have the less speed you need. if you can hit the target the more power you have the better. But having said that if you are way out of balance and you can hit realy hard but you are so slow anyone can get out of the way, it doesn't matter because anything you throw that can't hit the target is useless. In otherwords you need speed to get there and power to do dammage, but as fringe dweller pointed out, they have a close relation in training methods.

Also I wouldn't spar for points all the time if you intend to be practicing for self deffence. In my opinion that's kinda pointless because you are diverting emphasis in your training from one thing to another.

OP
C

chufeng

Gosh...
What about timing?
All the speed in the world is useless if your punches land like tissue paper...
All the power in the world is useless if you can't land it...
Proper timing allows you the time it takes to land a powerful technique with whatever speed is necessary to reach the target.

Remember that kinetic energy is 1/2 the mass times the square of the velocity...so to be really effective, one must maximize mass (proper stance and technique) and accelerate prior to contact (again proper technique)...BUT, to do this in a conflict requires proper timing...

:asian:
chufeng

OP
E

Elfan

Speed is something to develop before power as speed is one of the components of power. However, most "speed drills" seems to lead to slopyness. Speed is something to work on after all the principles of motion and self defense are internalized. (ie you consitantly moving applying all the principles with no bad habbits).

See these threads:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=829

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1246

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1211

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

Power depends on the technique. Speed comes with practice/training. And vice versa. For example, the kicking technique in Muay Thai is mainly power oriented and speed comes with more and more practice. In TKD, their kicks are lighting fast, but arent as powerful as Muay Thai. But with practice the kick gets much stronger. So its not a matter of concentration but time and effort.

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Go read Chufeng's post.

now read it again.

Other posts on this thread are alos helpful; speed does come through correct technique; power specific exercises can increase ur poundage/per etc etc...but timing is the key.

If u time a lead hook correctly, so that is lands on the hinge of the jaw as ur body weight flows through the punch's vector and ur opponent moves perpendicularly to that vector, u dont need a lot of power - they fall down all by themselves.....

OP
T

Tony Starks

theres a poster in where i train that says " speed+form=power" so they are interrelated

OP
J

jefroman

I agree with Tony. Speed and power are related.
If you are very strong, but you lack form, you won't have loads of power.
On the other hand, if you have a lot of speed, but you lack strength, you wont have much power.

Jeff

BTW, great forum you guys have here!!

OP
M

MartialArtist

speed is power

The faster you are, you can hit somewhat harder due to physics. But then again, being able to hit fast doesn't mean power, as the 9mm is faster than a .45.

In a street fight, speed is VERY important. It helps a lot against very skilled opponents. But with unskilled opponents and thugs, power is better in my opinion because one hit, they're down. You can sacrifice power because they will lack the preception skills or general physical and mental instinct to defend against a powerful attack. Speed also isn't that important because an untrained person will choreograph and exaggerate everything, so you can see it coming. But also, you might face people who've never trained in their lives and can slip better than most people. This is from my experience. You can have steel toe boots and kick him once, and they might not see it coming. But against a good person, expect for you to be kicked back, punched, or get your leg snagged. SPEED.

But again, for skilled opponents, you need to be able to hit faster, move faster, percieve faster, and be faster than his attacks. You need to be able to defend, block, or dodge his attacks, while you can hit him twice as many times and hit him before he sees anything coming. And also, if he's way faster (fighting speed), more powerful, more experienced, and more skilled than you, at least pray you are faster at running than he is.

OP
C

chufeng

Martial Artist,

Back when I was a kid I trained in Western Boxing...was quite good at it...was VERY fast.

My older brother (who out weighed me by maybe 5 pounds) was slow and ponderous...

One day I got REALLY pissed at him...Dad made us put on the gloves to settle our differences...I hit him 100 times...but then he hit me once...damn that hurt...

OK, so I get back up and go at him with increased intensity...150 punches land...and he hits me once again...I'm done...

Go back to my original post in this thread...

The reason he hit me was because: a) I wasn't hurting him...and b) He waited and timed his attack when he knew he could hit me.

After I learned a bit more about other fighting methods, he refuses to even arm-wrestle with me.

Timing is more important than speed or power because it allows you to apply speed and power at the right time.

chufeng

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by chufeng
Martial Artist,

Back when I was a kid I trained in Western Boxing...was quite good at it...was VERY fast.

My older brother (who out weighed me by maybe 5 pounds) was slow and ponderous...

One day I got REALLY pissed at him...Dad made us put on the gloves to settle our differences...I hit him 100 times...but then he hit me once...damn that hurt...

OK, so I get back up and go at him with increased intensity...150 punches land...and he hits me once again...I'm done...

Go back to my original post in this thread...

The reason he hit me was because: a) I wasn't hurting him...and b) He waited and timed his attack when he knew he could hit me.

After I learned a bit more about other fighting methods, he refuses to even arm-wrestle with me.

Timing is more important than speed or power because it allows you to apply speed and power at the right time.

chufeng
Timing is not only for speed and power, but for distance judging, defending, offending, everything. Timing mixed with its cousin perception, coupled with fast reflexes make everything work.

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Both are equally important. If your not in the ring what good is speed with no power, you may be able to hit your oponent more but if it doesnt faze them what good is it. On the flip side what good is power if you have no speed, you may be strong but if your oponent blocks everything theres no affects.

OP
G

gman

I have been told something similar about sparring versus fighting (street fighting). Most of the teqniques we learn seem to emphisize a balance of speed and power with power being slightly more important. We do work speed drills to help with reaction time and quickness. Most of the people who go to competions say that the contact is light compared to even just the regular training we do in class. So sparring competion seems that it is much more advantageous to have great speed. Just don't think that a fool on the street cares about the speed. I guess. :idunno:

OP
M

MartialArtist

Again, let me emphasize that speed and power are equally important on the street. Sometimes, one is more important than the other.

When fighting a slow guy (physically slow or slow to execute anything or slow perception), you have the luxury of sacrificing speed for more power. A lot of people who have little training are relatively slow with their moves, and have a lot of wasted motions. That's when power comes into play. In a schoolyard fight, or a bar fight, power is more important. In very condense places, power is more important in the sense that you attack first and hard, and speed is limited as your range of motion is well... Pretty much gone.

Against a skilled fighter, I would rather be faster than him than more powerful. You hit first, you hit right. You move so he doesn't hit you. You react when he tries to attack. See, the thing with Butterbean is, that he wins most of his bouts with power. However, that is because the boxers he faces try to make the bout more interesting. Any pro boxer could beat Butterbean IMO. They could just slip, weave, hit, and fade and repeat it over and over. But it would be a boring bout, and nobody would want to see your future bouts which is very bad for a boxer. That's why De La Hoya and Tyson are popular, because their bouts are so exciting. However, they try to make the bout interesting so they do things they normally wouldn't do. And the round limit Butterbean has is a joke.