Spear fighting techniques

HauTruong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Any one know spear fighting techniques .? I want to learn it , in my place they just taught Kata.
I have searching and found a system with 8 techniques , anyone know about that system ? I just know it's belong to a general in China , named Qī Jìgūang
[Video below just for fun]

OP
HauTruong

HauTruong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Or any one know Chinese can translate this video please? Just the name and how to do the techniques , I think this is 8 basic moves spear

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any one know spear fighting techniques .? I want to learn it , in my place they just taught Kata.
I have searching and found a system with 8 techniques , anyone know about that system ? I just know it's belong to a general in China , named Qī Jìgūang
Have trained some spear fighting. In the Pekiti Tirsia system there are 3 sets of 12 (total of 36) technique actions for spear. Some are quite similar to those shown in the videos you posted. Footwork is somewhat different and the applications are similar.
Wing Chun also has a pole form that could easily be applicable to spear.

I don't know anything about the particular system/s or styles presented in the videos.

OP
HauTruong

HauTruong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Can I find video about Pekiti Tirsia spear on youtube or google?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of south east Asian systems have spear technique within them. A better question would be what geographical area are you looking in for a teacher and then we can help you.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If the Chinese spear form is properly taught, you should understand the techniques that it contains and it should not be difficult to break them out for application and drill practice. Probably not a lot of places do that so much anymore, but that doesn't have to stop you. With some things, you need to take control of your own training.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
These moves called Na , La , Jia . Belong to general Qī Jìgūang's spear system
thanks !
2 spears guys wanted to learn the spear technique from a spear master. The spear master asked both to show what they had. Both demonstrated their spear technique in front of the spear master. The spear master then told them to go home and train those 3 moves for 1 years and then come back to see him. One year later, both came back. After demonstrated in front of the spear master, both were asked to go back and train those 3 moves for another year. At the end of the 2nd year, after the spear master saw both their spear technique, the spear master told them to go home and never came back. Both asked, "But you have not taught us anything yet." The spear masters said, If you can do these 3 moves well, I have nothing else to teach you.

That's how important those 3 moves are in Chinese spear technique.

In the following clip, you can see these 3 moves were repeated many times.

Last edited:
OP
HauTruong

HauTruong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
2 spears guys wanted to learn the spear technique from a spear master. The spear master asked both to show what they had. Both demonstrated their spear technique in front of the spear master. The spear master then told them to go home and train those 3 moves for 1 years and then come back to see him. One year later, both came back. After demonstrated in front of the spear master, both were asked to go back and train those 3 moves for another year. At the end of the 2nd year, after the spear master saw both their spear technique, the spear master told them to go home and never came back. Both asked, "But you have not taught us anything yet." The spear masters said, If you can do these 3 moves well, I have nothing else to teach you.

That's how important those 3 moves are in Chinese spear technique.

In the following clip, you can see these 3 moves were repeated many times.

Actually , I want to know how to do it right . Because I heard some that these 3 moves have their own purpose (block , cut , stab ,..etc)

OP
HauTruong

HauTruong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I got this video . Those techniques may be in an old Chinese spear manual of Qi Jiguang

OP
HauTruong

HauTruong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like this technique. You pretend that you are running away. When your opponent chases you, you suddenly turn around and attack him.

It's called Hui ma qiang or in English : Run by the horse and turn a round to stab .

Latest Discussions