Getting my new spears.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm getting 2 new spears hopefully this week. Wife may not be happy with it, so I bought another one lol. I'm going for the .. OH I thought you may wanted to train with me when I train excuse. lol.

But I'm looking forward to get some training with it. It's supposed to be a "Combat" function spear so I'm hoping it's going to have that nice heavy feel to it.

I've finally at a point where I can start "Shadow Boxing" with my spear and like always. Fighting with a staff requires a lot more effort and endurance than just doing the form, but I'm working it out. I start with the basic stuff and take time to chain different techniques.

So far my staff training is a really great shoulder, arms and back workout.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I bought a spear head in a Renaissance Festival for $45. I always carry it with me in my daypack when I hike in the woods. When I need, I can always attach it on my hiking stick and turn my hiking stick into a spear. I can also use it as a dagger if needed.

spear-head.jpg

I like to arm to the teeth when I hike in the woods.

arm-to-the-teeth.jpg

Last edited:

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm getting 2 new spears hopefully this week. Wife may not be happy with it, so I bought another one lol. I'm going for the .. OH I thought you may wanted to train with me when I train excuse. lol.

But I'm looking forward to get some training with it. It's supposed to be a "Combat" function spear so I'm hoping it's going to have that nice heavy feel to it.

I've finally at a point where I can start "Shadow Boxing" with my spear and like always. Fighting with a staff requires a lot more effort and endurance than just doing the form, but I'm working it out. I start with the basic stuff and take time to chain different techniques.

Do you get to spar with these weapons in your dojo? Of course not like literally stabbing each other. lol. I mean like light versions of the weapons in some kind of point-contact fighting.

If I'm ever gonna get a combat weapon, I wanna get a sabre. I'm a huge Napoleonic warfare fan.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

ohh a combat sprear, does that mean it has a pointy end ?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you get to spar with these weapons in your dojo? Of course not like literally stabbing each other. lol. I mean like light versions of the weapons in some kind of point-contact fighting.

If I'm ever gonna get a combat weapon, I wanna get a sabre. I'm a huge Napoleonic warfare fan.
I've only trained staff to this point. If I were to spar with a spear it would still be just a staff. I've sparred with rubber knives and got stabbed and sliced a lot. The knives still hurt, they just don't cut. But that's the extent of sparring.

I spar to learn, so I don't use a point system. My method of sparring means that I'll get hit a lot so keeping points will not provide any benefit. I would lose all the time. I would lose in a point sparring competition as well, because I'm willing to absorb a weaker strike if it means I can deliver a more powerful one.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ohh a combat sprear, does that mean it has a pointy end ?
Definitely, What good is spear without a pointy end.. lol. But in all seriousness. I was looking more for the weight of the weapon and a good spearhead. I've seen some spears that look like a staff with a guitar pick on the end, they are also lighter,

My interest in combat weapons is mainly from the point of view of the skill and strength needed to use them. It takes more skill and strength to use a combat weapon than the light weapons that we often see. The picture below is the spear that I ordered.
CombatTraditionalSpear_1024x1024.jpg

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Definitely, What good is spear without a pointy end.. lol. But in all seriousness. I was looking more for the weight of the weapon and a good spearhead. I've seen some spears that look like a staff with a guitar pick on the end, they are also lighter,

My interest in combat weapons is mainly from the point of view of the skill and strength needed to use them. It takes more skill and strength to use a combat weapon than the light weapons that we often see. The picture below is the spear that I ordered.
CombatTraditionalSpear_1024x1024.jpg
yes that is most definetly pointy, if your going to learn " spear" you need a pointy spear for there to be any point

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yes that is most definetly pointy, if your going to learn " spear" you need a pointy spear for there to be any point
Point taken.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Spears came in today. Gotta big grin from ear to ear, but the rain has started so it looks like, I won't be doing any outside training for the next 3 days. So far they look really nice and were packed really good, like someone cared about what they were doing.

Stuff like this gets me excited about training and working out.

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I ordered them from wle.com

lol. I envy you. I'm an unemployed little overgrown boy living with my mom, and I can't have a weapon in me. If I order it online and she catches it, it's in the garbage moments later.

I don't know how to describe it but there's a certain feeling of confidence that comes from having a lethal weapon in you when going out in public places, so long as you can trust yourself that you won't be an idiot about it.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lol. I envy you. I'm an unemployed little overgrown boy living with my mom, and I can't have a weapon in me. If I order it online and she catches it, it's in the garbage moments later.
Lots of people unemployed these days.

I don't know how to describe it but there's a certain feeling of confidence that comes from having a lethal weapon in you when going out in public places, so long as you can trust yourself that you won't be an idiot about it.
Not sure what to say about this one. What happens to your confidence when you don't have a lethal weapon?

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not sure what to say about this one. What happens to your confidence when you don't have a lethal weapon?

That's not the point. My point is you get a confidence boost with a weapon in you. I very primal confidence, but confidence nonetheless.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I ordered them from wle.com

Who is Henry?
henry was king of england in the 1500s, he major claim to fame in popular cullture was he had 6 wives, not at the same time, two of which he had exicuted one for infidelity one coz she coukdnt give him a child,

but his actual importance was his three devorces, which meant he was excommunicated from the catholic church making england an independent state and gave rise to a few hundred years of wars and execution , leading to gb becomming a global super power, and a remarkable number of dead people

he was also very very fat and he had spears like that,

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
henry was king of england in the 1500s, he major claim to fame in popular cullture was he had 6 wives, not at the same time, two of which he had exicuted one for infidelity one coz she was ugly,

but his actual importance was his three devorces, which meant he was excommunicated from the catholic church making england an independent state and gave rise to a few hundred years of wars and execution , leading to gb becomming a global super power, and a remarkable number of dead people

and he had spears like that,
ha ha ha.. I give up. I thought you'll get off my spears if I asked you that simple question.. Foolish me lol.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's not the point. My point is you get a confidence boost with a weapon in you. I very primal confidence, but confidence nonetheless.
I'm built a little difference, My confidence comes from 6 years of verbal abuse and dealing with bullies as teen. I find comfort in deciding how I want to be as a person and never letting anyone take that away from me. No matter what happens, or what I'll face, I know I'll always try to hold true to that image of how I want to be as a person.

When life throws punches and kicks. I counter.

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm built a little difference, My confidence comes from 6 years of verbal abuse and dealing with bullies as teen. I find comfort in deciding how I want to be as a person and never letting anyone take that away from me. No matter what happens, or what I'll face, I know I'll always try to hold true to that image of how I want to be as a person.

When life throws punches and kicks. I counter.

I got bullied as well. It's just that I dealt with things in a different way.

Lifted weights and learned how to be street smarts. Martial Arts were never in my radar, mainly because that as I grew up, I started encountering less and less violence because the people around me started becoming more and more mature. And I didn't end up in a tough neighborhood. When I was young, I was in a hostile environment. But I got into a better environment as I grew up.

Now is different though. I wanna redeem myself by becoming a good boxer.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I got bullied as well. It's just that I dealt with things in a different way.

Lifted weights and learned how to be street smarts. Martial Arts were never in my radar, mainly because that as I grew up, I started encountering less and less violence because the people around me started becoming more and more mature. And I didn't end up in a tough neighborhood. When I was young, I was in a hostile environment. But I got into a better environment as I grew up.

Now is different though. I wanna redeem myself by becoming a good boxer.
I'm glad it things got better for you as time went by. That's always a good thing.

Latest Discussions