KT:Aiming the Spear or Lever?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Aiming the Spear or Lever?
By BJTipton - 01-22-2011 08:26 AM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

If you had to choose between the two which one would you keep for yourself?
If you had to choose between the two which one would you give to a student?

Aiming the Spear is my favorite technique right now. It is simple, quick to the point and effective. It is also effective against many different attacks and the strikes and follow-ups can be easily exchanged. It is not intricate, but you can make it that way if you want. It can be used on the outside of an attack, inside of attack, or cut down the middle. I can pick it out in some of the wing chun drills. It is a very devastating technique.

I love Lever and it teaches many good lessons. It is more defensive in nature so it is safer, but the initial move is not as universal (at least I haven't unlocked it yet) as Aiming the Spear. It takes a while to get to the opponent because you stepped back. Follow-ups are not as easy because you are at such a distance. Also, you block of the opponent's centerline so you do not have as many choices where you strike or what you strike with.

If I have to keep one for myself, it is definitely Aiming the Spear. I have the confidence to say that though because I also have Lever. I understand how the techniques work for me.
I don't know which one I would choose if I had to give one (but not the other) to a student. I think it is Aiming the Spear because it is more universal, but do I say that just because I like it? Does it change if the student is a long term or short term student?

I'm just a Kenpo nerd thinking out loud.
Brandon Tipton

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Latest Discussions