Sparring with your significant other.

Do you spar with your significant other?

• Sure, It's great.

• No, I'd rather not.

• I have no strong feelings on the subject.

Results are only viewable after voting.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpochad has a good point about spouses or boyfriends losing control when it comes to rheir woman. It is a very hard thing to get built up to. It took me a long time to watch or spar with my wife, but my earlier posts show why I choose to spar with her.

As mostly guys answering this post I feel it is our reasponsibility to let people know that lack of control will NOT be tolerated. And that if the want to go nuts then they need to spar with us instead. I think you will find that this resolves most issues quickly.

B

Black Bear

*obligatory passing-your-girlfriend's-guard joke*

I always used to teach them wsd. Now that I'm more into the jits, it's more sustainable to train with them regularly.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chobaja said:
To those of you who study with your wife/husband, do you spar with them, and why or why not?
Short answer:

If you can keep your "inside the dojo" and "outside the dojo" lives separate, and both of you can exhibit good control, then by all means, knock yourself out (and not in a literal sense!).

Otherwise, if you can't keep the inside the dojo vs outside the dojo lives separate, then don't do it. The happenings within a relationship should not be a distraction to the martial arts classes, and the happenings within a martial arts classes should not be a distraction to the relationship.

K

kenpochad

so if you spar with your significant other at home is that domestic violence ha ha
icon10.gif

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpochad said:
so if you spar with your significant other at home is that domestic violence ha ha
icon10.gif
It depends on the number of law enforcement officers that it takes to break it up.
icon10.gif

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpochad said:
icon10.gif

Hehehehehe That's funny :uhyeah: Because we do spar at home. Not like we do in class (all out and stuff) but it can be fun :D I throw a technique and he counters and throws one back, or the other way around. We practice bo drills on the lawn. To us, it's play fighting. If someone saw us, they would think it was domestic violence. Good thing we live 1/2 mile from the closest person LOL

G

GRIM

I started sparring about a mnth before my girlfriend, but she joined up quick. We spar about 3 times a week at the dojo and play fight and the like at home.

It truely gives me a sense of security because I work weekend nights and she goes out to clubs with friends . I know she can handle herself because I've seen her move.

Plus it's a different dynamic to the relationship.

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My girlfriend doesn't train.

If she did judo I could spar with her, but I refuse to spar women or kids in boxing. Except for Jack who is 15 and hits like a hammer.

I don't feel comfortable hitting full grown men in the face (though I can bring myself to do it), so women or kids?....No.

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
After she reached Sho-dan they were even harder on her. I took it upon myself to train her to be able to deal with these guys. In that training she reached new levels she would not gone to if I had not helped her. I gained an understanding that I was the only one that could and would help her.

Gawd.. What kind of meatheads were you taking class with? This type of behaviour is about the one thing I can think of that warrants a severe beat down.. I would personally challange anyone who intentionally hurt my wife in class. They would not have the choice to refuse my challenge or to apologize.

B

BaiKaiGuy

Huh. In my kwoon, we don't even let family members work together let alone spar. We don't want family issues coming to a head on the mat, nor do we weant people taking what happened on the mat home with them.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chobaja said:
Gawd.. What kind of meatheads were you taking class with? This type of behaviour is about the one thing I can think of that warrants a severe beat down.. I would personally challange anyone who intentionally hurt my wife in class. They would not have the choice to refuse my challenge or to apologize.
That particular dojo is a bit different. They had never had a female stick around long enought to make it to BB. My wife dealt with most of these guys on her own in a very "beat down" manour. I told her that I would fix the problem if she wanted me to do it, but she very boldly stated that she wanted to fix it herself. I keep my eye on them any time that we visit this particular scchool. I prefer that if my wife wants to spar that she does so with me. I have a couple of them that are still in my cross-hairs, so to speak. I have been gearing up to give them a little taste of what they seem to like dishing out.

They have been like this for years and even if they get the crap kicked out of them they will most likely keep on the same way. It will take more than them getting some broken bones for them to change what they are, but I will have fun trying.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My partner outweighs me by nearly 80 lbs, and out-strengths me by a lot. When he was inexperienced, I'd spar and grapple with him, because my greater experience was a reasonable match for his superior weight and strength. As his technique has improved over the years, I've come to the conclusion that it's a better idea for us not to spar or grapple, because one false move could mean a bad injury for me. Plus, it's not a whole lot of fun for me to grapple someone who can simply lift me off him.

We do practice drills, techniques, weapons, and throws together.

J

jkdhit

i normally dont have anyone to spar with when i cant stop by the school for training.. everyone else i know who does take martial arts either doesnt practice it for combat or sparring (demo only) or they're just lazy most of the time like my brother

no one here happens to live in the nyc area do you?

K

kenpochad

lastnight i sparred my wife for the first time.
my instructor told every one at the begining of class that this is chads wife
and if there is any one that has control problems will spar chad
iam known as a heavy hitter if need to be . But we had alot of fun

K

kenpochad

Phoenix44 do you live in Phoeinx AZ?
ifso i wanted to say hi from Mesa AZ
icon10.gif

Latest Discussions