sparring with asthma

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've had bad asthma since I was born, though it never really got in my way in Taekwondo, except when I was sparring. It still does. It slows me down and I lose all my focus on the fight. I've had better days than others, but it's almost always a factor. Does anyone else deal with this, or have any students dealing with it?

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My son's doc told him to hit his rescue inhaler about 15 minutes before sparring (or other strenuous activity). Maybe you should talk to your doctor.

TKD'oh

White Belt
Reaction score
I'd second the Advair! Also taking allergy meds (Flonase, etc.) has greatly reduced my asthma flare-ups.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I brought your question to the attention of one of my instructors who has astma. I had no idea until she had an attack during a match at a tournament, scared the dickens out of me.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My older son has asthma, though at this point, he seems to have grown out of it.

When he was younger and new to Kendo, he was still using his nebulizor regularly, with arbutorol I think (it has been a few years now). He also had a rescue inhaler.

Now, he does not need any of it and we are fairly convinced that the kendo and taekwondo actually helped him in dealing with it.

I do not have any real advice beyond what others have already said. Keep the inhaler handy and talk to the doctor about treatments that may help you specifically. A lot of people have asthma, but not all of them practice a martial art or play a sport, so there may be treatments geared specifically towards athletes.

Daniel

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have cronic asthma and what I do is take a good breath of my ready6 when need it one that all good patience carry for emergency, I will usually take it about twenty prior to the first match and it has always helped me. I hope you are on some regular medicine as well like advair or asmanex.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife has asthma and ALWAYS makes sure she has her rescue inhaler. Hers is usually kicked off only when the pollen count is high and the class is intense. She tells me that it helps her greatly to concentrate on breathing deeply when doing randori and just let the technique flow instead of allowing herself to get too caught up in dealing with the next attack and catch herself holding her breath.

If you haven't already informed your instructor about the asthma you owe it to the instructor (and yourself) to do so. That way if you have a severe attack during sparring then they'll be much better prepared to help you.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My wife has asthma and ALWAYS makes sure she has her rescue inhaler. Hers is usually kicked off only when the pollen count is high and the class is intense. She tells me that it helps her greatly to concentrate on breathing deeply when doing randori and just let the technique flow instead of allowing herself to get too caught up in dealing with the next attack and catch herself holding her breath.

If you haven't already informed your instructor about the asthma you owe it to the instructor (and yourself) to do so. That way if you have a severe attack during sparring then they'll be much better prepared to help you.

Not to mention have them know where you keep the inhaler, so we/they don't have to dig through your belongings trying to find it....

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you taking something like Advair? Advair took asthma right out of my life.
I have very bad asthma and Advair worked wonders for me. Use to take AsthmaCort which was another inhaled steroid but Advair is much better. If you take this stuff as perscribed by a doctor you should not have anymore attacks. Takes awhile to stop the attacks but after about a month on the stuff you will be suprised. Advair will not stop an attack if you are having one, but over time it will prevent them.

Always keep a fast acting inhaler around for sudden attacks but if I were you I would see your doctor and ask about Advair.

Also all three of my kids have asthma and they take something called Proventil. I think it is similar to Advair as they don't give Advair to kids, I think.

Bones

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My oldest son also has asthma and like Daniel, I really think taekwondo and training hard helped him a lot.

Before, you could see it was impacting him. Then he began to train hard so he could compete. This seems to have pushed him over that hump.

While i think it still impacts him with fatigue sometimes, I don' think anyone knows he has asthma unless it comes up in conversation. I know he was quite pleased with himself when his school had time trials for the mile and he came out #1.

Check with your doctor on what suits you best but training hard/harder may be a component.

OP
goingd

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I use a fast acting inhaler when I need to. I'll be seeing my doctor next month so I'll ask more about it.
Thanks all, for the input. ^_^

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had bad asthma since I was born, though it never really got in my way in Taekwondo, except when I was sparring. It still does. It slows me down and I lose all my focus on the fight. I've had better days than others, but it's almost always a factor. Does anyone else deal with this, or have any students dealing with it?

I would encourage you to ask your doctor about Stacy's advice.It was the same advice my doctor gave me back in the day...& it worked for me too. But I'm not a doctor,so I don't know if it's right for you.

Another thing I thought of, if it only happens for you during sparring, might it be that anxiety could be causing your asthma during sparring? It's happened to me early in my MA career.

OP
goingd

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would encourage you to ask your doctor about Stacy's advice.It was the same advice my doctor gave me back in the day...& it worked for me too. But I'm not a doctor,so I don't know if it's right for you.

Another thing I thought of, if it only happens for you during sparring, might it be that anxiety could be causing your asthma during sparring? It's happened to me early in my MA career.

I'm not sure. Sparring has always seemed like the most intense activity we practice in Taekwondo, but you could have a point.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I use flovent daily and ventolin when needed.

Honestly? The best way to stop asthma is to get in great cardiovascular shape. I find when I run on a regular bases, my asthma goes away, months will go past without ever needing either of my inhalers. When I run infrequently, like now, I use the flovent regularly, and the ventolin maybe once or twice a week. The more I run the less I need my medication.

I went for a lung test the other month and the people there didn’t believe I had asthma, they said my lung capacity was 106%. I told them it was all due to running.

Latest Discussions