Sparring Techniques

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you guys/gals out here are still practicing the freestyle sparring techniques? This is just a general question for all.;)

W

WilliamTLear

We do them every day at Mr. Hawkins' Studio. And we have alot of fun modifying them using the equation formula.

I personally think that they are a great learning tool, and an integral part of the system.

Sincerely,
Billy Lear, UKS :asian:

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The freestyle techniques dont seem to be covered a great deal over here in Europe, but it does vary from school to school.

I always disliked them, until I attended a seminar with Mr Gilbert Velez, and he showed me the potential of them.

We do them in our schools, but not really in the way they are written in the Journals. I require my students to have them for testing, but I havce to admit we go in 'fits and starts', sometimes not touching them for weeks.

They are a great teaching/learning tool, for many of the Kenpo principles and concepts.

Les

S

SingingTiger

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
How many of you guys/gals out here are still practicing the freestyle sparring techniques?

Can you give an example? If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, we don't do them as specific "approved EPAK" drills (at least partially because it's not an EPAK school). But in the sparring class the instructor has us do various drills, and I'm guessing that some of them are similar or identical to what you're talking about.

I haven't found them all that helpful, but then I'm not all that into (or very good at) freestyle sparring.

Rich

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel they're very helpful to a beginning practioner who has had no training or very little. they allow the student to get in close and show the value of taking and making openings on an oppenent's body. granted, some of the Freestyle Techniques would be slightly illegal in some sparring situations (i.e.: palm heel to jaw). they also reinforce A LOT of the maneuvers of the system and show how to implement them, and at the beginning stages of training I feel are very critical.

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by Chronuss
I feel they're very helpful to a beginning practioner who has had no training or very little. they allow the student to get in close and show the value of taking and making openings on an oppenent's body. granted, some of the Freestyle Techniques would be slightly illegal in some sparring situations (i.e.: palm heel to jaw). they also reinforce A LOT of the maneuvers of the system and show how to implement them, and at the beginning stages of training I feel are very critical.

I always figured that the freestyle techniques were created to explore the idea of initiating action in a street-freestyle situation. Sparring could be one use, but if that were the case... ALOT of the freestyle techniques are illegal.

Sincerely,
Billy Lear, UKS :asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is all about range and methods of closing the gap. They can also flow into self-defense techniques. Some of Bryan Hawkins' Black Belts have taken the freestyle basics to a whole new level and actually continued the progression until you see Kenpo Extensions in the Freestyle techniques.

It is very cool!!! And they Work!!

-Michael
AKTS

B

bahenlaura

How many of you guys/gals out here are still practicing the freestyle sparring techniques? This is just a general question for all.;)

:cool:

We try and run through them every class. There is something about them, when you start working with a partner they make you think and analyze different situations. Well of course like anything else in Kenpo, you get to Hit and get Hit and that by itself helps you learn.

:boxing:

K

Kenpomachine

I guess we don't do them. We usually do some sparring techniques that are common to many systems, such as boxing or TKD. But they mainly come from one of the instructors experience in full contact fights.

R

RCastillo

Please explain them to me. I've read them in the Infinate Insights book, but I don't quite understand them. Are they supposed to be pre determined, or what? How can it be be freestsyle with the implementation of self defense techniques?:confused:

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They are drills. Ideas of motion to give you examples of numerous sparring techniques or combinations. I've just started on the sparring techniques and have found much use for them. The Goldendragon is a "must" to talk to and get the proper info. on the origins and uses of these drills.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
Please explain them to me. I've read them in the Infinate Insights book, but I don't quite understand them. Are they supposed to be pre determined, or what? How can it be be freestsyle with the implementation of self defense techniques?:confused:

If we tell you ....... then we'd have to kill you.
:rofl:

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Our school doesn't have sparring for adults. Just for kids and teens purple belt and up.

Latest Discussions