Street Freestyle

R

RCastillo

According to SGM Parkers Infinite Insights, Vol.1, he mentions "Street Freestyle is only used in his schools.

Please explain how that differs from like pad sparring.

Is this what other people may refer to as "Technique Sparring?"

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I read that a couple of nights ago, I interpreted it as him saying that sports sparring (which we do mainly in class just called 'sparring') has to be differentiated from 'street sparring', and that the two shouldn't be taught interchangably.

In other words, students can't expect the sparring style usually employed in class to also work on the street. They need teaching 2 seperate styles.

That was just how it read to me though,

Ian.

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by RCastillo

According to SGM Parkers Infinite Insights, Vol.1, he mentions "Street Freestyle is only used in his schools.

Please explain how that differs from like pad sparring.

Is this what other people may refer to as "Technique Sparring?"

Two types of protective gear sparring- light contact or full contact.
All freestyle uses techniques it is just extemporaneous vs. fixed. 4th range constituents are the main difference... This seems familiar- didn't we talk about this in some previous threads?

:asian:

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
All freestyle uses techniques it is just extemporaneous vs. fixed. 4th range constituents are the main difference...

I think you lost me..:confused: :confused:

Can you explain these terms please and how they relate.

Thanks,
Rob

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by Robbo

I think you lost me..:confused: :confused:

Can you explain these terms please and how they relate.

Thanks,
Rob

Extemporaneous- freedom from thought. Hence freestyle. Free from style. Constituents of the 4th range will be in the Encyclopedia of Kenpo. SD techniques are fixed- you know the attack, zone, response, etc. You don't in extemporaneous type training.

Better?

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One of Larry Tatum's videos talks about this. What Mr. Tatum says, paraphrased, is that on the street, you may begin with a technique and something occurs that allows both opponents to back off and reset. You are now in a situation that resembles sparring, i.e, fighting stances, both opponents aware and ready. You are more likely to be facing jabs, kicks, and the stuff you see in a sparring session than say, a front choke, bearhug, or things you would typically define as being technique situations.

Dave