Sparring Tactics - If you miss with a kick, because the opponent jumps back?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the opponent jumps straight back. Moreover, if the opponent is quick. Jumps back fast and far. I feel like when I miss, the momentum of the attack is broken.
If you feel the momentum of the attack is lost, maybe it's time to back off, and reassess. Forcing your way in just plays into your opponent's hands.

Then you can set up a combination, go in with something different, or even try to bait your opponent into playing your game.

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
No, you were not sounding like a jerk. It appreciate the suggestions. In some cases, I could be telegraphing and need to heed that advice. Do you suggest shadow sparring in the mirror?

Just a note, some of these guys who I spar - at my dojang there are many young Korean atheletes - are so skilled, having done TKD since an early age, they really are fast on their feet.

I was trying to say this without sounding like a jerk. The fact that your opponent can jump away from your kicks shows that you are tellegraphing your intent. Secondly, position your body closer to your opponent, when kicking, so that leaping straight back is the last thing he should do.
Sean

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
You're right about controlling the space. I'm learning to understand how quickly I can close a given distance. My school is particularly challenging, because most of the students are from Korea. They have years and years TKD experience. I'm not using this as an excuse for my lack of chops. I want to improve and your tips really help. Thank you.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, you were not sounding like a jerk. It appreciate the suggestions. In some cases, I could be telegraphing and need to heed that advice. Do you suggest shadow sparring in the mirror?

Just a note, some of these guys who I spar - at my dojang there are many young Korean atheletes - are so skilled, having done TKD since an early age, they really are fast on their feet.

You're right about controlling the space. I'm learning to understand how quickly I can close a given distance. My school is particularly challenging, because most of the students are from Korea. They have years and years TKD experience. I'm not using this as an excuse for my lack of chops. I want to improve and your tips really help. Thank you.

Lucky you.
You get to hone your skills on some pretty good partners there.

You have to figure out what your strength is, work with it.

I always loved sparring against the young guys. Usually they took it easy on me, but generally they made me work for my points.

It just takes a bit of work to sort was works from what doesn't. And it is a really good feel when you can land a good shot on somebody really good!
(got my instructor one time with a leg check: Shuffled my legs and tapped him with a round...I think he was a bit surprised....but I did pay for it a little late :D)

Oh, the leg shuffle...
As in above leg check...ITA rules say you can only hit the front leg of the opponent with - gawd feeling old and dumb - your bag leg, s sometimes you have to reposition. Instead of stepping back or over or forward you jump up and cross your legs, so the front becomes the back...might also be something to incorporate into drills, if for nothing than to practice foot work.

Somewhere I missed how long you were sparring.

In the beginning I had to set up everything long in advance, sort out legs and hands, position, partner...but as I sparred more things became easier.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Awsome. Working with those more experienced and you and they both benefit. They become better teachers you improve your skills.
I routinely spar with folks way better than I, and of various sizes. Pay attention and learn 1 thing new every time I spar.
( 1 partner is 6-3 and way higher on the belt chain) His personal bobble head doll :) But he's a good guy and teaches as well as hits.
So like dad used to say when he speaks you listen.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yes, but only in the sense that you are watching for good posture, using using it to help you keep your eyes forward and not down, etc.
Sean