Sparring Tactics - If you miss with a kick, because the opponent jumps back?

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you miss with a front roundhouse kick, because the opponent jumps back? In what ways can a person pursue the attack? Or is it better to break off and try to come in again?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you miss with a front roundhouse kick, because the opponent jumps back? In what ways can a person pursue the attack? Or is it better to break off and try to come in again?

Front roundhouse = lead leg? Is punching to the head allowed or is this WTF sparring?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ill assume this is WTF Sparring, but being an ITF Practitioner, this is how i do it:

Front Leg Roundhouse (Instep Kick, as we call it :p): Follow up Immediately with Rear Leg Inst... Roundhouse.

Rear Leg Roundst...house: Slide down and into a Side Kick.

Of course, you can substitute the Side Kick for a Front Kick, or another Roundhouse, or even do some tricky footwork and fit in a Back Kick.
Front Leg Roundhouse, I also sometimes put in a quick flurry of Body Punches just to keep the other person Busy.

Just my piece.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As EW suggested it's hard to give much of an answer w/o a little more info.

The big question is what's open when your opponent jumps back. And is it straight back or at an angle to you?
And is the strike for that area allowed?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The number ofcombos is endless. The type of footwork needed also would vary as well. Youbest bet is to experiment with different things. Depending on the counter thatyour opponent may or may not do will also come into play. This question is justtoo broad and even open ended.

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
If the opponent jumps straight back. Moreover, if the opponent is quick. Jumps back fast and far. I feel like when I miss, the momentum of the attack is broken.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you can plant in time, you can hit him with a back kick off the same leg. If he jumps back far enough shuffle up to that rear kick so that you can close the distance. I would spar with some fake roundhouse attempts so that you are really about flowing into the next move. Everything has a counter; so, you just need a semi-compliant partner to help you work moves out of that roundhouse.
Sean

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
use more than just one kick, chase him with more then two kicks combining hogu kicks and head kicks, the answers can be so many cause all depends on the footwork you are using and your partner too. I am to straight I use more than two kicks advancing towards the partner till I catch im and score.

Manny

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If the opponent jumps straight back. Moreover, if the opponent is quick. Jumps back fast and far. I feel like when I miss, the momentum of the attack is broken.
well, don't expect to connect with the first one.
Practice combinations.
like a front snap, round, you can follow that up with a back leg kick or a spin kick. One kick wonders don't get the point in my style of sparring.

So what if the round misses, use the momentum to deliver a spin...

practice jumps and slides to close the gap. So when you lift your leg to kick,l jump towards the target on the other. Works best with a side, but hey, play with it, see what you can make of it.
Same with the slide. As you lift the leg you will be standing on with slide towards the target.

That is part of the strategy in sparring: technique is only part of it, controlling the space is the other.

Same as you would move away from a strike, you have to anticipate your target to move, so you try to follow or better yet, cut it of and land your hit there.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Turning kicks may also be an option if your footwork is pretty good and you remember to turn the head first to reaquire your target.
I'm thinking turn wheel or turn side kick.
nothing beats working with a good partner like Touch and Manny said.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Even though first kicks are inconsistent for scoring, it's the fundamentals before you kick that make the biggest difference. If you are stationary before you kick, it's easier for your opponent to see your startup and to escape than if you are moving to hide your attack. If your stance is narrow, you'll have to move your feet more before you kick, giving him a head's up that you're coming. If you check (crisp movements to see what your opponent wants to do) and see he wants to back up, then step before you kick to cover the space...so you move forward as he moves back. By doing this lead-up work, you can figure out what your opponent wants to do when you attack. Then you change your attack to go where he wants to. When I have an opponent who jumps back, I'll usually add a fast step (front foot step forward) or quick step (rear foot step forward). When you have an opponent who is quick, your motion and checking become much more important to hide your actions. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even though first kicks are inconsistent for scoring, it's the fundamentals before you kick that make the biggest difference. If you are stationary before you kick, it's easier for your opponent to see your startup and to escape than if you are moving to hide your attack. If your stance is narrow, you'll have to move your feet more before you kick, giving him a head's up that you're coming. If you check (crisp movements to see what your opponent wants to do) and see he wants to back up, then step before you kick to cover the space...so you move forward as he moves back. By doing this lead-up work, you can figure out what your opponent wants to do when you attack. Then you change your attack to go where he wants to. When I have an opponent who jumps back, I'll usually add a fast step (front foot step forward) or quick step (rear foot step forward). When you have an opponent who is quick, your motion and checking become much more important to hide your actions. Good luck and have fun.
I was trying to say this without sounding like a jerk. The fact that your opponent can jump away from your kicks shows that you are tellegraphing your intent. Secondly, position your body closer to your opponent, when kicking, so that leaping straight back is the last thing he should do.
Sean

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Stick with doing basics kicks, work on your transition phase between kicks, and incorporate footwork to adjust the distance. Practice & commit to do this over and over til it becomes a habit. Then make some progressions & devise a strategy with it.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Also you can use your hands as cover. Throw a punch with your kick following right behind. That helps cover any foot telegraphing.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also you can use your hands as cover. Throw a punch with your kick following right behind. That helps cover any foot telegraphing.
One good lead in, is to continually throw punches off the back hand so that your opponent will begin to feel comfortable moving in, but staying out of that range, then, jab off the lead hand, followed by a round house off the lead leg. They figure out your trick pretty quickly; so, enjoy the results while they last. LOL
Sean

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One good lead in, is to continually throw punches off the back hand so that your opponent will begin to feel comfortable moving in, but staying out of that range, then, jab off the lead hand, followed by a round house off the lead leg. They figure out your trick pretty quickly; so, enjoy the results while they last. LOL
Sean
LOL, one should hope you got more game than one trick!

Latest Discussions