Sparring/Fighting Drunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was 22, I was married, had a baby on the way, and was running a nuclear power plant......

When I was 28, I was married, studying Wado-Ryu karate (not even a green belt) and took on three soldiers just back from Desert Storm I and got my *** kicked badly. Saved only by the chance intervention of a huge neighbor who waded in, grabbed me by the armpits from the ground where I was having my head kicked in, and pulled me out, using his sheer size and bellicosity to threaten the soldiers from attacking him as well.

So, uh... I can't point the finger of blame. Whatever Alex did wrong, I did worse. I'm not quite as much on the exaggerations, perhaps.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ah, well. For some reason, I actually kind of get it.

When I came home from Marine boot camp, the first thing I did was go find everyone who had given me a hard time in high school and kick their asses. It was fun. My best friend from high school was in college in Fort Collins. He had a few guys who were giving him trouble and he wanted me to take care of them, too. I was feeling pretty cocky, so I said fine.

He took me to a dorm party and pointed me at the guy who had been giving him the most trouble. I got into a drinking contest with the guy (for some reason, that seemed like a good idea at the time).

So we took turns doing rum and cokes until the rum ran out. Then we switched to Canadian Club and coke. At some point, I decided it was time to fight. I stood up, announced my intentions, and took a big swing at the guy.

That's pretty much all I remember. I saw walls, ceiling, floor, faces, faces, faces, then nothing.

My buddy took me back to his dorm room; I remember getting up at one point to puke; my glasses went down the toilet and I let them go. It was winter; the next day, I woke up, staggered outside, and puked in the snow; it was mostly blood.

I was told later that I gave an okay account of myself. It was apparently a slugfest, the two of us trading roundhouse punches to the head until we both fell down. It certainly wasn't a proud moment.

I can't say I got smarter right away; I made a lot of stupid decisions after that too. Eventually I got old, and when I got old, I got smarter. I'm glad I lived long enough to get there.

No major life-lessons here. Young men get drunk and fight; whether they have martial arts training or not.

Well Bill, this is true. The difference between your story and Alex's is that you were also drunk, and fighting to get even with old nemesis/prove you were tough as a Marine,etc. Alex voluntarily sparred(not fought) 3 rounds with someone else who was intoxicated. He is fortunate that the only damage is a fat lip. He is lucky his associate is not a mean drunk, or things would have been a lot worse. We all have tales of stupid things we did drunk(or stoned),but they usually involve some kind of intoxicant clouding your own reasoning.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by frank raud
By your own description, you are the size of many 13 year old boys,

This is, quite frankly, one of the most brilliant things I've ever read.

I'm picturing them on each other's shoulders inside a big trenchcoat, with Alex's head poking out the top.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, but his posts.......they kind of make this one compound stupidity....:lol:

Some of the things I did when I was near his age....okay, I was 20....you won't hear about the worst of them here, though......

When I was 22, I was married, had a baby on the way, and was running a nuclear power plant......

On behalf of the world, I would like to thank you for not having killed us all.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well Bill, this is true. The difference between your story and Alex's is that you were also drunk, and fighting to get even with old nemesis/prove you were tough as a Marine,etc. Alex voluntarily sparred(not fought) 3 rounds with someone else who was intoxicated. He is fortunate that the only damage is a fat lip. He is lucky his associate is not a mean drunk, or things would have been a lot worse. We all have tales of stupid things we did drunk(or stoned),but they usually involve some kind of intoxicant clouding your own reasoning.

In his defense, he already admitted it was stupid.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think we can correct dumb behavior without resorting to personal insults.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I was 21, I did capoiera, on the street, in sandals, off a duty of vodka.

Once was enough for me.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In any event, to those who are choosing open ridicule over constructive criticism, let me remind you that we don't do that here.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Recently I have noticed that while others in the club I occasion will mess with each other, they do not as much with me, as often. I am the most experienced, timewise, of those who frequent the club, but we hold a very clear, and upheld epistemology that regardless of rank, because we all hail from different styles, and have so many coming together, we are all equals, and learning from each other.

For several years I have coasted in my training, and lately have found my warrior spirit to renew the vigor in my training, and as such it has quickly brought me back to my skill level which I had regressed from.

I am only 22, and have over 7 punches in a second, and am currently at 30 kicks per leg, without having the urge to lower it. This is not to say I am great- having practiced 20 years, I know I am but at the first 1,000 feet of a mountain with literally no end, and 20 years, to the beginner seems so long, but it has been so short.

I no longer get to spar with people, and when I do, they often have to stop after fifteen minutes. I've seen people grow considerably in skill level through practicing with me, but of late, I must approach others, and almost force them into the ring. An individual who used to spar with me, months ago stopped, and it is only looking back and realizing there are few who want to spar with me I am forced to ask the question- am I going too hard? Or is it a matter of I am just beyond them, and I say that humbly.

What do you guys think? Am I hitting too hard, or is it just I'm noticing the difference in skill level?
Can I perhaps go back to an earlier post?

And this is the the guy who while sober, spars with someone who is drunk and gets smacked in the mouth.

To quote: "am I just beyond them?"

I must confess, it's beyond me. :idunno:

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If no one will spar with you, it's you. The only people I won't spar with are those who have no control, are poor sports, or flat out dangerous asshats.

Ask yourself which one you are, correct it, then you might find more sparring partners.

And if you think you're "all that and a bag of chips too", my bet would be a lack of control.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Zenjael I've seen people grow considerably in skill level through practicing with me,

The irony of seeing this statement from a previous post in this thread is soo delicious.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Come on guys. He's not as great as he thinks he is. I think we all (except him) get that. Perhaps we could move on.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I enjoy a drink and I enjoy a friendly backyard match. With alcohol there are degrees of losing control. You get one in the face or the gut once in a while. We all have to work the next day and we aren't trying to kill each other. Accidents do happen, a fair bit more with the creature involved. I'm not trying to get anyone's respect and I know the risks. When someone says stop we stop. I've sparred lots drunk and had a good time and a few bloody noses.

I don't see the big deal. I lost interest in being drunk though.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see several hints and Bob's post didn't get the message across...

Avoid the personal attacks. Stick to attacking the message, not the messenger. We've been working entirely too hard for a unpaid gig of late, and it's making some of the Mod Staff rather testy... and you won't like us when we get angry.

In short:

ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the conversation polite and respectful.

jks9199
MT Asst. Administrator

OP
Z

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Er, I wasn't drunk, I hadn't done any drinking whatsoever. It was a bout with someone else who had been drinking.

This was also in my own home. I was completely sober.

Again, why am I surprised nobody actually read my post? And missed the entire point to avoid altercations with the intoxicated?

Why someone with an aversion to contact would voluntarily spar not once, not twice but THREE times with someone who was intoxicated is mind bottling. By your own description, you are the size of many 13 year old boys, why would you volunteer to be a walking cheeseburger to a drunk?

Because I'm fine now? And knew I would be when we both went up against each other? This wasn't a mugging with the PCP people, which is an entirely different story. This wasn't against a random drunk off the street- this was my neighbor, who when he came to this morning we went out to IHOP. There's no ill will between either of us. The fight could have been ugly, it wasn't.

I don't know why you would want to spar with someone drunk at a party. I can't even understand how this occurs.
I would have avoided sparring and focused on finding cute girls. :ladysman:

I have a girlfriend I am very happy with ^_^

Originally Posted by Zenjael I've seen people grow considerably in skill level through practicing with me,

Through, does not mean the same thing as 'because'. The through is referng to witnessing their growth by practicing with them, and seeing the change myself. Not because of anything I did, though I would like to think I helped. Sorry for my poor wording.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Drunk+Marine+Fighting = Me from 18 to 21 Oh the storys I could tell:drinkbeer :barf:. Thankfully Ive given up drinking and the only drunks I fight now are at work and I dont fight fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions