Soundtracks for Sparring? Suggestions, Please.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We need some new soundtracks for sparring. I would say that the same three songs are played over and over.

Any suggestions? Lyrics obviously need to be clean as we are a family dojang (and want to promote ethics and good morals).

Sounds like a challenge, eh?

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
This one may have been beaten to death. But I had an old TKD instructor that LOVED to use the mortal kombat theme song. I'd give you two more but that's the only one he ever played...

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Soundtrack? Like, for music during sparring? I suppose I can't really help, never done that!

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Radiohead (or Thom Yorke)- It just melts into the background

G. Love and the Special Sauce- Fun Bluesey goodness. Keeps the mood upbeat.

Incubus- Because I think they're fun.

Drum and Bass music- oftentimes little or no lyrics, but good stuff to get a group going.

Yanni- because he makes me angry (just kidding)

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
We play a lot of White Zombie where we train, and it's really good fightin' music. The downside is that there are a few cuss words in there, so it's only played in the adult class.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you didn't want lyrics I'd say Techno or Acid. The only time there is lyrics with Techno, it just completly destroys the sound.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
same here, I was like music when you spar ? That is odd, how can you focus and maintain good control when you have White ZOmbie blasting. I mean don't get me wrong I love the band ( Thunderkiss '65 :p) but music liek that is best left outside training, or if you are training on yoru own outside of school. I am bias though because my school and back ground has always been traditional. I understand that it can motivate but it takes away from the seriousness in my opinion. Not trying to flame but just give my 2 cents :) I mean besides if i were to have any music playing, it would be ICE ICE BABY !!! Vanilla Ice :p

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Go with some of the music from the Street Fighter games.

You want a traditional sound with what turns into a tempo to fight to? Give the current song on my myspace page a listen( the track is called "Kobu(Inspiration", it's the character Ryu's stage music in Street Fighter 3)

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
There can be only one.

"You're the best!/ arouund..."

karate_kid.jpg

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Its the, eye of the tiger it the trill of the fight, rising up to the challenge of our rivals...."

Rocky ?

Ahriman

Green Belt
Reaction score
When we have music, it's usually selected from the following bands: Corvus Corax, Finntroll (of course if anyone speaks Swedish there then you must take care - while there aren't lyrics with obscenity, political correctness is not always present given the band's theme), Turisas, Therion, early Theatre of Tragedy, Falkenbach.

These go for sparring-training with "archaic weaponry" for the mood. When we train for "possible real life confrontations" we rarely have any music - when we do it's almost always something we don't like. Music we like doesn't disturb us nor does it take our concentration, but something that gives us headaches likely does both, and you can't stop the music if you're attacked in a pub, for example...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
same here, I was like music when you spar ? That is odd, how can you focus and maintain good control when you have White ZOmbie blasting.

If you lose focus and control because of some random music in the background how are you going to deal with the real world where there are people yelling at you and everything isn't dojo quiet?

Try:
The first Matrix soundtrack

Drum Sex by Brent Lewis
http://www.brentlewis.com/cd12.htm

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You want a traditional sound with what turns into a tempo to fight to? Give the current song on my myspace page a listen( the track is called "Kobu(Inspiration", it's the character Ryu's stage music in Street Fighter 3)

Sounds pretty good! Any others from that soundtrack you recommend?

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You have to be careful, but a few selections from Prodigy are good. I like "Breathe" and "Diesel Power" from their first album Fat of the Land.

the soundtrack to the movie Hackers also has a few good selections.

Rage Against the Machine -- again be careful, screen the lyrics, some tracks are definitely more appropriate.

Latest Discussions