Mirror Neurons

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've had a few threads here on the process of learning. One concept that I find extremely interesting is the idea of "mirror neurons." It has come up on the board a few times, but basically this is the process in the brain that learns simply by watching others do something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_neuron

I also heard that they are more effective when you videotape yourself then watch the playback. Much like going over something in your head and visualizing it being done, the same process helps you learn simply through watching yourself. I would guess that it is very important to do it correctly on the tape!

Does anyone else use this method? What kind of success have you had?

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I use Jackie Chan's movie, "Gorgious" as a training tape. Seeing him and Allen spar gets the 'neurons' firing! Dang I like their footwork so much.

actually, seeing a tape of oneself sparring would not only be very educational, but I bet humbling. Lots of us think we look like Van Damne when we spar but really look more like 'the karate kid' (I never cared for that movie.)

Deaf

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've had a few threads here on the process of learning. One concept that I find extremely interesting is the idea of "mirror neurons." It has come up on the board a few times, but basically this is the process in the brain that learns simply by watching others do something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_neuron

I also heard that they are more effective when you videotape yourself then watch the playback. Much like going over something in your head and visualizing it being done, the same process helps you learn simply through watching yourself. I would guess that it is very important to do it correctly on the tape!

Does anyone else use this method? What kind of success have you had?

When I instruct, I will do it facing (* Mirror *) and I will do it with them so they can see it happen. This handles most of the visual learning types.

I also talk my way through and explain the concepts and physics. This addresses those the learn through listening.

I also will do it on them so they feel it, and when possible have them do it on me so they can feel doing it to others before they practice with other students.

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I once saw an interesting experiment done......

Take a bunch of guys who can't dance - teach them all a dance routine. Let them practise it a few times to get the hang of it.

Take half of them and let them go about a normal 24 hour period - including a good nights sleep.

Take the other half and deprive them of sleep for 24 hours. As much caffinee and other such energy drinks etc as they want.

Those who have a good nights sleep will show remarkable improvement in their routine. The sleep deprived will not show any improvement.

The reason for the improvement is that during sleep our brains play back what has occured during the day. This reinforces the nueral pathways that have been created doing the activity and is equivilent to doubling your workout time.

It's not quite the same as mirror neurons but very similar........

A good reason to make sure you get a good nights sleep as well!!

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have often heard this also refered to as "soft wiring". Basically, when you see a skill and are observing it to learn your brain starts the process of "wiring" it trying to find previous associations and such. It is the first part in the learning process of a physical skill.

"Hard wiring" is the actual physical practice of the skill.

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really don't know much about how the brain functions, but I think you're right with this one. The "soft wiring" is when your brain is making new synaptic connections...

Latest Discussions