Sort of bummed out

epi-do

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not really looking for any sort of comments, just feeling a need to put some thoughts down in black and white.

I have been going to my dojang for aprox. 3 months. The instructors seem to be top notch, really care about the students, are more interested in making sure you are doing techniques properly and understand them before allowing you to test, etc. The atmosphere and culture (for lack of a better word) of the school are great.

I admit, for the first couple months I got really spoiled. I would guess that 98% of the classes I attended were with the owner of the school as the instructor. Along with class time, I also was able to get quite a bit of one-on-one time working with him. I know that he has been wanting to get some of his black belts to step up and begin assisting with teaching, so he isn't personally teaching all of the classes. It is a small, close-knit dojang, and is not his only source of income for himself and his family.

For the last couple weeks, he hasn't been around much, and I don't believe he has taught at all. I know he has some personal/family things going on, and I can certainly understand him needing to take some time away to handle what he has going on. The guys that have stepped up and are teaching the classes for him are great guys. They do a good job teaching the material, using more than one approach to teach. I really do like the instructors, and have no complaints about how they are going about teaching me.

I just miss seeing the owner around the dojang, and being in his classes. I am sure he will be around more after he gets the personal issues addressed. He's just a great guy, we have had some great conversations outside of class, and I miss him being there.

Ok, I am done with the whining now. You will have to forgive me for being such a girl at the moment. I only got a couple hours sleep at the firehouse last night, and am beyond exhausted at the moment. I really need some sleep.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hopefully things will return to a more harmonious balance soon. I wish you the best of good fortune.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand how you feel. Buck up though, we get used to things as they are but the one constant in life is change. I remember the first time I had to take a class with a different sensei, it's terrifying! Even if he teaches exactly the same it's odd hearing orders from someone else.

It'll be ok.

harold

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just hang in there. All of us who practice the martial arts have been in the same situation. And remember, getting instruction from others gives you little tips and insights that you may not have gotten from your original teacher.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah the joys of working shifts! it can make things that happen in your life look out of proportion, I know the tired thing but things will kick back though and you'll feel settled again.Well until you've been there long enough to start teaching lol now thats terrifying!

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Have you formed friendships with the other instructors too? Maybe that would haelp you be more accepting of them instructing you until your Master comes back?
Cheer up The goal is ultimately the same, and if you can learn with joy from anyone, then it makes the journey that much sweeter! :)

OP
epi-do

epi-do

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow! It's amazing how some sleep can put things into perspective for you (and a really good training/class as well :boing1: ). I got a really nice compliment from my instructor in class the other night regarding my technique while we were working on 1-steps, so that helped brighten things up for me as well. Thanks for all the empathetic/encouraging words!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow! It's amazing how some sleep can put things into perspective for you (and a really good training/class as well :boing1: ). I got a really nice compliment from my instructor in class the other night regarding my technique while we were working on 1-steps, so that helped brighten things up for me as well. Thanks for all the empathetic/encouraging words!

Oh I hear ya about sleep. That's fantastic news!

Stay safe out there. :)

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rest is a wonderful thing. Keep your chin up, all training is good. It is even better when you can learn from different people, take advantage of it.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've been there Epi-do. In fact that sort of thing seems to go in cycles at our dojo. The head instructor/owner is everybody's clear favorite teacher, and he has to split his time between 2 school locations and family situations of his own. Some months he barely seems to have time to teach at our location. Of course he's the master and knows the material the best, so everybody wants to be there when he's teaching. I've noticed attendance drops off when the master is away.