Son's tournament update

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Norma said:

All I can say is all that time and many belts and he hasn't even learned to tie the belt around his waist correctly yet.

DarK LorD

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Norma,

Your son looks awesome! :ultracool You have a lot to be proud of! I expect we'll be seeing/hearing good things about him in his MA future. As far as his belt goes, there was a thread going about belt tying awhile back, and it seems lots of people have different ways of doing it so it's nothing to sweat over, but someone posted this link there and I found helpful, especially for kids:

http://www.stanford.edu/group/kenpo/belt-tie.shtml

Thanks for sharing your pics with us!

MJ :)

OP
N

Norma

Thanks. Mj,, i'm extremely proud of my son... :)

Kenpo Lord. Not to be rude. But guess what, i've seen many 2nd and 3nd blacks not know how to tie there belts.

School do many different knots. my son's class ties this way, the junior teens tie different, the adults tie different.

We were given a sheet on how to tie this way. My son's instructor has a double knot for his junior blacks and black.

Perhapes they learn by the time they are in adult. For heaven sake man, my son is only 5, again son 25-40 year old not tie right.. :2xBird2:

So why your judging a 5 year old is beyond me, and i say you have issues with your belt your self and feel guilt about it.. so pick on a 5 year old, who does this him self.. I bet at 5 your couldn't either buddy.

Norma

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Norma said:
Hey Everyone,

My son did great at his tournament! he came home with 2, 1st place and 2, 2nd place. I'm so proud. Most of all he had a blast!

I thought i would share some pictures we took..

Norma

Norma,

Did we meet? I helped assist Mr. Steve at his adult seminar on Friday night. I am a 6th Degree American Kenpo black belt. Either way, tell your son, congrats!

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

OP
N

Norma

My son is Nicholas.. On friday when Mr Arsenault ask who wants to show off forms/kata's my son was the only little one who stood up.. He was in the 6:00 kids seminar.
here is the pic of him when he was the only tider who got up. HAHA...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/NormaBZ/norma family/DSC_0004edited.jpg

Here he is getting Mr Arsenault's autographe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/NormaBZ/norma family/DSC_0005.jpg

I was wearing the big bright yellow jacket. standing at the counter.

Mr Arsenault is AMAZING with kids, we look forward to going every year to meet him.

I noticed Mr Whiteye graded to 3rd over the weekend? Thats great!

Norma

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't arrive in Sarnia with my group until around 6:30pm but I think I remember seeing him.

Again, tell him congrats and say hi to Faron for me.

Jamie Seabrook

www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

OP
N

Norma

I will say Hi to Faron and Patty for ya..

There great people.. I'm so happy i found Turtle Ilsland.. Best thing i ever did was put my son in there.....

My son Nicholas Just loves them..

Norma

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What was the seminar about???

in one of the photo's your son has sticks in his hands-is he trainging in weapons??

OP
N

Norma

Hi, The seminar is just fun, Mr Arsenault is Mr Whiteye's instructor he comes every yearm a away we can interact and meet other in kenpo.

Its always night before the tournament.

Yes my son uses yarawa sticks. he's weapons form is call yarawaII.
He also does what call single single wallie with then patted sticks small, and he's learning bow staff soon.

Norma

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I watched the childrens seminar and it looked like a really fun class. All the kids had a blast. I refereed all day staurday, and was really proud of all the participants. Regardless of what place the took in their divison, if they gave it their all, and had fun they are a winner in my books.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
I watched the childrens seminar and it looked like a really fun class. All the kids had a blast. I refereed all day staurday, and was really proud of all the participants. Regardless of what place the took in their divison, if they gave it their all, and had fun they are a winner in my books.
Rob,

Great to finally hook up on Friday night. I had to teach Saturday so I wasn't at the tournament, although four of my students were there.

Did someone say "fishing"?

Jamie

OP
K

Kempogeek

Congratulations are in order! WOW! I think I was right about my prediction about his martial arts future. I hope that you have alot of room for all his future trophies. If not, better think about an addition to the house. As far as tying the belt properly, at 5 y/o I don't think it should be an issue either. If his instructor don't see it as an issue, then no harm or disrespect to the art. Heck when I was 5 y/o I couldn't even tie my shoes correctly. Now that's sad. :cool: Continued sucess and as always, have a great time. Best regards, Steve

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
Rob,

Great to finally hook up on Friday night. I had to teach Saturday so I wasn't at the tournament, although four of my students were there.

Did someone say "fishing"?

Jamie

I refereed the ring with 2 of your brown belts, and they both did great. The young lady who did long form 3 took people breath away with her speed, power and precison. The 2 people I got judged did a tremendous job.

And speaking of fishing. I stopped at Bass Pro World just before Barrie on the way home sunday, I believe they are still mopping up all my drool, I was worse than Homer Simpson dreaming about Donuts. It will be great to get some fellow Canucks up my way for a weekend of kenpo and fishing tis summer.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Every one has a begining. Hopefully this is a begining of our next super hero! ....".Congrats" .....Aloha

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Overall this tournament was a great time for everyone. First and foremost there were no injuries, at the event. There was only a couple minor glitches in the divisions which were ironed out fairly quickly, and no whining at all about favoritism.

I can't wait til April 29th 2006 when they host their 4th annual Canadian WKKA Championship.

OP
N

Norma

My son;s instructor, gave us this way of tieing, they do it them self's for 5 year this is hard enough. They will learn the other way in time.

My son has now a collection of 6 trophies. 4 this year, 2 last.

We have a trophie shelf and a belt rack, and a frame with his belt certificates and a big 10x13 of him we had taking.

The woman at the tournament in the womans division are you talking about the one in black and pink? or the one in white? They where BOTH awsome, we got video and still pics of them all.

The woman were faster and more aggressive then most of them men.

Norma

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
Overall this tournament was a great time for everyone. First and foremost there were no injuries, at the event. There was only a couple minor glitches in the divisions which were ironed out fairly quickly, and no whining at all about favoritism.
Sounds like it was a good tournament; congrats Norma, & thanks for sharing your pictures with us. I wish you & your son all the best on your Kenpo journeys.

Latest Discussions