shihans ????????

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Shihans

I was searching ebay , and came across certicifates/rank for sale,
certificates ,are from Mr chows, Thunder bolt Kenpo, and there is also a few others,worth a look !

You to can be a shihan , LOL

cheers

Kosho-Monk

Green Belt
Reaction score
What good are certificates without the training?
I agree. That's why it's important not to look to closely to a person's waist and pay more attention to what they say and do. I've met many "masters" who don't have much more than an elementary understanding of martial arts. And I've met plenty of low-ranking practitioners who understand so much more than many of the masters today.

What's that saying?... "Never judge a book by its cover".

I have a friend who met a very famous jujitsu practitioner/teacher. They had a fairly lengthy coversation on martial arts, and when parting, this teacher tried to put some kind of joint lock from the handshake position onto my friend. My friend, who now has been a martial artist for about the last 25 years, reversed the lock and put this well-known master in a lock.

One guy, at the time, about 15-20 years experience. The other guy, at the time, 30-40+ years experience.

Certificates mean not much in the way of ability to defend one's self. The meaning is more for status within the organization granted. (understanding of curriculum, etc.)

Let's take a 26-year-old 3rd degree black belt -vs- a 62-year-old 3rd degree black belt, with the same teacher and training. Who do you really think is going to be the better martial artist?

Certificates even within the same organization have much variation on their meaning. This is life. I think we just need to accept it and move on. I work hard now to let go of any anger issues I have with people that I think have inflated ranks. I just practice and keep checking my own progress now. That keeps my quite busy enough.

Peace!

-John

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kosho-Monk said:
Let's take a 26-year-old 3rd degree black belt -vs- a 62-year-old 3rd degree black belt, with the same teacher and training. Who do you really think is going to be the better martial artist?

-John
That depends who is more serious about their training.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Today you can get anything you want. Is it worth it? The easy things in life is most likely not worth anything. The hard things in life, the hard training,sweats, earning the ranks, is and will be the most rewarding things in life. Do you agree? Don't buys nothing for nothing? ....Aloha

Kosho-Monk

Green Belt
Reaction score
That depends who is more serious about their training.
Would you promote a 26-year-old to 3rd dan if he couldn't move as well as a 62-year-old? How about reversing this senario?

-John

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kosho-Monk said:
Would you promote a 26-year-old to 3rd dan if he couldn't move as well as a 62-year-old? How about reversing this senario?

-John
I wouldn't promote anyone to 3rd. But if I could I would expect different things of a 62 year old and a 26 year old. Both would need to know the system and be able to perform at some level of confidence. A 62 year old might show maturity and a deeper understanding of the system than a 26 year old. For myself, higher level blackbelts has less to do with raw skill and more to do with understanding and knowlege of a system.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kosho-Monk said:

-John
Every individual is different and unique. I would promote whoever had a mastery of the material and its applications.

Jamie Seabrook

Kosho-Monk

Green Belt
Reaction score
Every individual is different and unique. I would promote whoever had a mastery of the material and its applications.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Oh, I'm sorry. I fell asleep during this overly PC answer. lol!

I expect more from my twenty-something year old students and not as much from my sixty-something year old students. In every situation I have found that students who start martial arts later in life are in it for much different reasons that those who start early on. But that is my experience and not always the same as others.

Take care.

-John

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hammer said:

certificates ,are from Mr chows, Thunder bolt Kenpo, and there is also a few others,worth a look !

cheers
Funny how the seller is using Prof. Chow's name and Parker's Crest....he/she must be one confused person :rolleyes:

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kosho-Monk said:
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Oh, I'm sorry. I fell asleep during this overly PC answer. lol!

I expect more from my twenty-something year old students and not as much from my sixty-something year old students. In every situation I have found that students who start martial arts later in life are in it for much different reasons that those who start early on. But that is my experience and not always the same as others.

Take care.

-John
Hey John,

Actually, it was your response that just bored me to death. But I won't go there...

Jamie Seabrook

O

OC Kid

Id get my shihan rank the old fashion way. I create a new style and give me the rank. .. Paying money to buy a shihan rank from someone elses system the shame.... :>)

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
hammer said:

cheers
There's a sucker born every minute. :)

Buying these forms does save you a considerable amount of time. No need to fabricate your own certificate.

Does anyone know someone who has actually bought one of these things?

Jeff :asian:

K

kempomama

The Subjective Element

I know someone who received a title in the martial arts the old fashioned way and it didn't cost him a cent. I asked him why he isn't using the title and he replied that to honor the title and the person who gave it to him he plans to keep it a secret until he turns 40 and accomplishes a lot more.

I'm sure people will want to know what else was involved but to get something that usually takes a lifetime to earn and then wait a few years longer- that's integrity!

S

Shurikan

Who would pay 20-30 dollars for a worthless piece of paper anyway?
they are not even the right certificates for the arts .

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shurikan said:
Who would pay 20-30 dollars for a worthless piece of paper anyway?
they are not even the right certificates for the arts .

$30 for a title = thousands of dollars in students

Latest Discussions